• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#16 MiniCannuck

MiniCannuck

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 1123 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 03:58 PM

sorry about that. The address is minicannuck.6sided.net.

Too many dots this morning and not enough coffee ;)

#17 haldir

haldir

I Don't Look Like My Avatar

• Bones Supporter
  • 12536 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 06:11 PM

thanks for the suggestions guys. I think I'm gonna so with a simplfied method of having the floor levels & then each level will be supported by shikabob sticks covered either by straws or Plastic tubing. I'll probably paint the floors & tubes but the floors will be Gaming Paper that I secure with adhesive spray.

Busy month ahead for me!

RM
Posted Image Posted Image Oh what the hell-- Posted Image

ReaperCon goer since 2005!

"The Road Goes Ever On......

"Lop that mutt's nards off spike! " orcsoul

#18 psyberwolfe1

psyberwolfe1

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 2241 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 08:29 PM

Haldir here is the best site for what you want.
http://www.terragene...ges/page13.html

2014 Painting Goal: 6 Figures/ 36 Painted as of 01/22/2014

For other Wargame and miniature related stuff you can read my blog at http://tacticalrock.blogspot.com

Does anybody else find it odd, by the way, that the information age has led to language becoming an oblique and imprecise tool where even the most straightforward phrasing is pored over with chicken entrails and bone tossing to divine the true meaning?

... nobody remembers Slave Leia because, "Oh my gosh! What innovative use of bronze."

Meep.jpg

#19 Mojoman

Mojoman

Enlightened

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 10:28 AM

Haldir, if you get a chance, post some pics of what you end up with. I would love to see the final project complete. I'm always looking for ideas to get more dimension on the table with as little cost as possible. Dwarven Forge and Hirst Arts look amazing, and the World Works papercraft stuff is cool too, but it's all really expensive. Besides, isn't it more fun to make exactly what you want instead of trying to piece stuff together from someone else's imagination?

I recently found some vids on youtube by "The DMs Craft"... He does some cool stuff with just plain old corrugated cardboard that you get from appliance boxes and stuff. You might check it out.

-mb
"So, brave knights, if you do doubt your courage or your strength, come no further, for death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth." - Tim the Enchanter "Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try." - Yoda "In war, then, let your great object be victory, not lengthy campaigns." - Sun Tzu "Keep rockin' the metal!" - mojoman

#20 haldir

haldir

• Bones Supporter
  • 12536 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 07:51 PM

Will do!

I'll try & remember to take some pics during my "We be Goblins" game at RCon as well. I forgot to do that last year. The look on the player's faces when they open the little door to a dark room filled with a pit full of eyeballs was classic "OH!?!" ha ha

#21 Pole

Pole

Enlightened

• Bones Supporter
  • 440 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 04:29 PM

Hey MiniCannuck, how do you like the HistArt molds? Do you have any favorites? Also what kind of Plaster do you use?

I was looking at their selections and they look like they could be fun to play with. I have been looking for a modular dungeon building method and Dwarven Forge looks great but it is just too expensive. Plus painting is half the fun.

2013: 14 Minis Painted

2014 Mini Painting Goal:  Paint something :down:
Free time = 0

#22 MiniCannuck

MiniCannuck

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 1123 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 08:03 PM

I really like Hirst Art Molds. I have 34 of them and will add more when I go to GenCon this year. I have a Tomb Kings army so the first ones I bought were the pyramid and Egyptian tomb molds. Once you get a feel for the plaster, it is very easy to do.

I use dental plaster which I buy off EBay. It is pretty cheap, lighter than regular plaster and more resistant to chipping. The biggest challenge is finding a place to keep a work station set up so that you actually get the bricks cast.

#23 Pole

Pole

Enlightened

• Bones Supporter
  • 440 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 08:02 AM

Thanks Mini! I really appriciate the info. I think I am going to have the girlyfeind buy me a few molds for my birthday next week.
  • MiniCannuck likes this

Free time = 0

#24 MiniCannuck

MiniCannuck

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 1123 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 05:18 AM

Thanks Mini! I really appriciate the info. I think I am going to have the girlyfeind buy me a few molds for my birthday next week.

That's a great present. If you are looking for a couple of molds and want to use them for a fantasy setting, I would suggest getting their basic block mold, one of the tower molds and a floor tile mold of your liking. With this combo, you will be able to do a tower project from their site and then be able to branch out to where your imagination takes you.

#25 Castlebuilder

Castlebuilder

The Dungeon Builder

• Bones Supporter
  • 2029 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 02:21 PM

Naaah, don't listen to him. Fieldstone is the best!
"I forgot about the gods and spun my own bright fate, while at the root of life the three spinners laughed." Bernard Cornwell, Lords of the North

#26 Sergeant_Crunch

Sergeant_Crunch

God of Overly Complex Tactics and Tactical Errors

• Members
  • 9121 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 07:47 AM

Krylon H2O paints also will not eat styrofoam.

I'm not so sure I'd want to get hit by a missile with a "dog brain" AI.
My blog:  http://scsminimadness.blogspot.com/

#27 Castlebuilder

Castlebuilder

The Dungeon Builder

• Bones Supporter
  • 2029 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 06:10 PM

Sheesh, I tried to hijack this thread and start an argument over which style of Hirst Arts blocks is the best (Fieldstone!), but nobody would bite. The Sgt. Crunch's post made me realize that things had gotten off topic. I've been working on two terrain layouts this weekend. Another tip I though of was if you are gluing something to a foamboard base you should weight it down while it dries. If you don't the glue can really warp it.

<Hey Pole, if you want to hear about Hirst Arts molds for dungeons, start another thread or send Mini Cannuck and I a PM.
"I forgot about the gods and spun my own bright fate, while at the root of life the three spinners laughed." Bernard Cornwell, Lords of the North

#28 haldir

haldir

• Bones Supporter
  • 12536 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 10:33 AM

Cb

your fine, hell I keep telling myself I will make something with HA......someday.

H20, I'll have to try those. Not sure how much of the exterior I'm gonna put on it but I wouldn't mind covering the white foamboard up.

RM

#29 Pole

Pole

Enlightened

• Bones Supporter
  • 440 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 01:55 PM

My bad, I didn't mean to turn off topic there.... My shortbus has a small turn radius. I will start up a new post when I get home from DnD this evening. I could use some advice =)

Free time = 0

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users