• Please log in to reply
637 replies to this topic

#16 MonkeySloth

MonkeySloth

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 4690 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 01:11 AM

And I'm pretty much done with the figure now. I feel like I should add some OSL on the staff and left-hand so we'll see if I can decide what color to do. Suggestions are welcome.

I'm quite happy with how this one turned out. Especially the book in the second picture.

WP_001575.jpg

WP_001576.jpg

I'm thinking for the base I'll do something dealing with the ground and plants having been scorched.

@monkeysloth

---My Tutorials---

New: Sculpting and Painting Rocks | My Tutorial List and WIP Thread

I never thought I'd write this...but I agree with MonkeySloth on this one. ~ Adrift

#17 MonkeySloth

MonkeySloth

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 4690 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 02:01 PM

Here's the finished photos. Sorry it took a month.

@monkeysloth

---My Tutorials---

I never thought I'd write this...but I agree with MonkeySloth on this one. ~ Adrift

#18 MonkeySloth

MonkeySloth

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 4690 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 11:20 PM

Next up is Nirlem, The Paladin from SphereWars

I needed a figure at the last minute for this week's RPG game so I hope I can get him done in time, despite the hurry I do want to try and and work on making the metal good as it's been a goal of mine.

First I panted the small amount of flesh showing and covered the area's I wanted white metal with boltgun. Next I washed the armor with P3 Sanguine Base.
WP_001747.jpg

Next I added some reaper Dusky Skin Shadow to the mix and shaded some more
WP_001748.jpg

Then I added a drop of black and shaded further. The darkest area's getting more then one shade (sorry, this picture turned out quite bad)
WP_001751.jpg

Then I reclaimed areas with boltgun and highlighted up with a mix of metal medium and P3 tin, which I think gets a better looking highlight)
(my phone is applying an update so I don't have to option right now of getting a better shot)
WP_001755.jpg

I'm debating if I want to add some gold, like to the chains, or another yellow metal (like bronze) to help break up solid color on this figure but I'm going to finish the cloth before making that decision.

@monkeysloth

---My Tutorials---

#19 warhorseminis

warhorseminis

Rabble Rouser

• Members
  • Pip
  • 70 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 04:17 AM

Very cool! Just an idea for you but if you add a very light wash of blue or green or even purple to metallics it adds a lot of depth to them.

Posted Image

Karrie Balwochus

aka Kathryn Loch

#20 MonkeySloth

MonkeySloth

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 4690 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 01:42 AM

@warhorseminis Well what I'm trying is to see if I can get that effect with purples--we'll see. Thankfully I've got better pictures this time around so people can let me know.

I finished the sword and shield using the same method as mentioned previously then painted up the cloak using P3 Sanguine Base, P3 Sanguine highlight and Reaper Brown liner. I Hope that by adding the Sanguine to the miniature elsewhere that the metal will look a little better as Sanguine Base is one of the main washes I used on the metal.

Then I pained up some other spots on the miniature using Reaper Midnight blue. Not sure if this is too distracting as I didn't want to paint these parts Sanguine and I felt going with a neutral would be bad because the armor and weapon are basically that.

WP_001765.jpg
WP_001767.jpg
WP_001772.jpg

I still need to decide if I'm doing gold, and what color to paint the belt, but I need to have this guy done for gaming tomorrow so I've got maybe two or so hours left. Not a lot of time I'm afraid.

@monkeysloth

---My Tutorials---

#21 mousekiller

mousekiller

Godlike

• Members
  • 1156 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 06:44 AM

I would say whatever color you decide to use to pick out the runes on the sword to use for the other metal bits you want to distinguish.

#22 MonkeySloth

MonkeySloth

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 4690 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 06:17 PM

You're absolutely correct. I decided yesterday that because of how the sword and shield didn't have anything that made them stand out, or just not look boring, to add some gold across the figure--though not very much.

Because I didn't have much time, as I needed this for games last night, I started by basing the areas I wanted in gold with a dark brass, then shaded down with a Reaper Brown Ink wash I had used previously on this figure. Then I highlighted up using GW's two gold paints and I think things turned out quite well.

I tried some free hand as well, which I don't do a lot, but the metallic paints were thicker then I was expecting and so it didn't come off that great.

WP_001778.jpg
WP_001782.jpg

Not bad for about 5 hours, though I could have done a better job on the leather gloves. Now I just have to make the base which I'm planning on an aura circling the paladin.

WP_001783.jpg
  • ArchaeoPaints likes this

@monkeysloth

---My Tutorials---

#23 Kuro Cleanbrush

Kuro Cleanbrush

Master

• Bones Supporter
  • 754 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 07:59 PM

Looking great! I especially like the idea of adding an aura around the paladin. If you don't mind, what did you use to create that effect?

1656085_593580044065387_73508893_n.jpg

My Facebook Gallery

Founding member of the CashWiley Fan Club!

#24 MonkeySloth

MonkeySloth

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 4690 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 12:21 AM

Woodland Scenics's water effect paste--it's the stuff that looks like white glue--just circle it around and use a toothpick to start shaping it and then let it dry for 24 hours hanging upside down (so the spiky parts don't droop). I'd suggest playing around with it a bit to make fire, or ice, on a sheet of plastic (like a blister) which this will stick to but easily removable from so you can get the idea of how it works.

I used this on my Magnus paint up I was asking for some OSL advice if you want to see how it can be used for flames.

Also this 8oz bottle will last forever so if you know some people that would want to share it you can split the cost of it. I don't own the bottle I use just have a friend who knows he'll never use it all.
  • estrus and Kuro Cleanbrush like this

@monkeysloth

---My Tutorials---

#25 Ishil

Ishil

Master

• Bones Supporter
  • 758 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 08:10 AM

The aura is a neat effect - like something out of a computer game.

Ishil
Jesus loves you. But not that much.

#26 Silas Coggeshall

Silas Coggeshall

Uber-Mensch

• Bones Supporter
  • 533 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 11:45 AM

Were did you get the Cleric of Urgathoa? I would like to take a crack at that mini. You did a fantastic job on her btw. ;)

#27 Serenity

Serenity

Uber-Mensch

• Bones Supporter
  • 500 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 01:30 PM

Were did you get the Cleric of Urgathoa? I would like to take a crack at that mini. You did a fantastic job on her btw. ;)

She's a Reaper Pathfinder by Patrick Keith. Cleric of Urgathoa

When I searched for that phrase in the store, it came back with nothing found. Then I searched for Urgathoa and it showed up. The "of" throws off the search.
  • Silas Coggeshall likes this

Serenity
All I want is to have my peace of mind.(Boston)

Time and time again I've thanked them for a peace of mind.(The Outlaws, Green Grass and High Tides)

#28 MonkeySloth

MonkeySloth

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 4690 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 02:55 PM

Ya it looks like the main site's SQL query isn't using the LIKE keyword so it always searches for exactly what you put in instead of anything that contains some of the phrases.

@monkeysloth

---My Tutorials---

#29 MonkeySloth

MonkeySloth

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 4690 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 11:22 PM

Here's the initial paint up of the base. I haven't had much luck with non-yellow\orange fire before but I think this turned out well. Now I just need to decide how much OSL I should do.

WP_001789.jpg
WP_001790.jpg

@monkeysloth

---My Tutorials---

#30 Silas Coggeshall

Silas Coggeshall

Uber-Mensch

• Bones Supporter
  • 533 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 11:35 AM

She's a Reaper Pathfinder by Patrick Keith. Cleric of Urgathoa

When I searched for that phrase in the store, it came back with nothing found. Then I searched for Urgathoa and it showed up. The "of" throws off the search.

Thanks man. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users