• Please log in to reply
724 replies to this topic

#61 MonkeySloth

MonkeySloth

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 5506 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 08:59 AM

Thankfully the arm should be a fairly painless fix (though probably still an hour of work).

I have this mini and a gobber I need to finish for an RPG campaign this month but I'm still playing Dark Souls and have Guild Wars 2 coming out in 2 weeks and then a few weeks after that Borderlands 2. I'm not sure if I'll get much panting done the next few months.

@monkeysloth

New: Current Contest and Active Ribbon list | My Tutorial List and WIP Thread

I never thought I'd write this...but I agree with MonkeySloth on this one. ~ Adrift

#62 MonkeySloth

MonkeySloth

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 5506 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 02:54 AM

Haven't posted an update in a while, been lazy I guess. I learned a bit on how to better deal with highlights at Gencon and so I reworked a little bit of the steel, just the pauldrons, but maybe I should have waited until I got the technique down before jumping right into what could be argued as the hardest thing to blend. :lol: Anyway, the shoulders look better then they did before so I'm happy about that.

I also finished up the bronze and refined the colors a bit from when I used this on the Goblin from the last challenge and I think it looks better--though getting that final highlight blended is rather hard-- and have started the leather.

WP_002370.jpg

@monkeysloth

I never thought I'd write this...but I agree with MonkeySloth on this one. ~ Adrift

#63 MonkeySloth

MonkeySloth

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 5506 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 11:06 PM

And he's finished. I'm pretty worn out after about 5 weeks on one miniature but I'll probably start prep work on another this Monday.

@monkeysloth

#64 MonkeySloth

MonkeySloth

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 5506 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 12:58 AM

Well 4 weeks later and here I am. Guess I needed more of a break then I had thought. Also, wow, this board is busy now as I would have never guessed my thread would be 3 pages back in just a month. It's nice to see so many people doing WIPs as this area was sorta dead when I started my WIP thread.

Anyway back to what I'm working on. Nothing fancy just a Victorian gentlemen from Bluemoon's "Bump in the Night" line (Victorian Civilians) that one of my player's wants to use as his character in our Iron Kingdom's game This one should hopefully be quick--but we'll see if I can keep to that.

I'm trying out a new method for shading skin but since there's so little skin on him I'm not sure if I'm able to tell how it looks overall. In the past I'd base coat with a blueish gray and then paint over it with regular skin tones, well this required a really red overcoat of flesh as if I didn't have red then the figure would look sickly. So now I'm basing in my normal flesh and then shading with that blue and then a red flesh tone (P3 Kardic Flesh).

Also messing with my shading and highlighting as it has been pointed out to me that you're supposed to highlight under the eye and not shade as light reflects off of the cheeks into the eye.

WP_002482.jpg

Oh, and since I haven't posted it elsewhere on this forum here's what kept me a little occupied the past few weeks. I giant board for my players to fight undead on.

Posted Image
  • buglips*the*goblin, malefactus, Adrift and 3 others like this

@monkeysloth

#65 Talae

Talae

Definitively Indecisive

• Bones Supporter
  • 3292 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 09:07 PM

Great Terraclips layout! How many of which sets do you have?

Also, have you visited their (WWG) forums? Great place.

Talae's WIP Thread of Everything (including My Daughter and her Mad Paint Skills)

Aaaaand Talae ruins the fantasy.

That's his unofficial job around here...  :devil:

#66 MonkeySloth

MonkeySloth

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 5506 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 10:06 PM

This is 2 streets and a little over 3 building sets. I've got 3 streets, 3 buildings and one sewers.

I haven't visited their forums, I try to limit the total forums I visit so I don't waste all day on the internet.
  • psyberwolfe1 likes this

@monkeysloth

#67 MonkeySloth

MonkeySloth

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 5506 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 01:28 AM

Pants and hat are done (except for the band on the hat) and I'm liking how they look. Started the jacket but I shaded my first color too strong and against that red you can't really see much of a difference between the reddish brown and the dark brown (same that are in the pants) and it's come off a little stronger then planned so I have more of a crimson look--which is fine as I do think it's looking OK. This will just mean I'll have to have some good highlighting to make the coat look good. I started to do a little bit but I'll have to wait till tomorrow to really get an idea of what it will look like.

Do need to decide what to do with the coat coaler, gloves and ascot though. Was thinking black\gray for the gloves and ascot and maybe the same brown as the hat for the color or go black\gray with the gloves and color but I wouldn't know what color I could make the ascot without it being too much of a focal point.

WP_002490.jpg

Was going to do a step-by-step with this guy as I realized I've never done one but then my light died on my last night (started making a tazer-like sound before I pulled the plug) and I was already pretty far along by the time I got a replacement. But I really should do a step-by-step on something I'm spending more time on instead of a quick paint job like this one.
  • OneBoot likes this

@monkeysloth

#68 Argentee

Argentee

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 1372 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 04:23 AM

The color of the ascot should match the lace at the cuffs I think.. Maybe a yellowish-ivory color?

"They'll sell you thousands of greens. Veronese green and emerald green and cadmium green and any sort of green you like; but that particular green, never."  - Pablo Picasso

ss_fx_by_girot-d5xrcq0.gif

#69 Qwyksilver

Qwyksilver

Tubby Guinness Fairy

• 14693 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 06:25 AM

Is their a reason you don't want the ascot to be a focal point? They often were used as the splash of color in an otherwise bland wardrobe.

What about a very pale olive green? The pale olive MSP being the deepest shadows. Would compliment all those reds and warm browns.

Edited by Qwyksilver, 04 October 2012 - 06:34 AM.

Sacrificing minions: is there any problem it CAN'T solve?

- Lord Xykon, OotS #192

Beowulf ll. 1538-1543
... Pay no heed to proud thoughts, famous champion. Now the flowering of your strength is but for a while. After a while, the time will suddenly come that disease or the sword's edge will cut off your power. Either fire's grasp or flood's surge or blade's bite or spear's flight. Or vicious age, or the flash of your eyes will gutter and burn out! It will be all at once, great campaigner, that death will overpower you.

It's terrifying!  Without enough caffeine your body undergoes these hours of partial paralysis and hallucinations! :shudder:

- Argentee

Black Lightning: MA010.

#70 CashWiley

CashWiley

Great Old One (With Bow)

• 7394 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:40 AM

The color of the ascot should match the lace at the cuffs I think.. Maybe a yellowish-ivory color?

Absolutely not! An ascot is a focal piece of a gentleman's wardrobe!

I'd go with a patterned green, possibly match it to the hatband. Possibly a gold.
The Wily Brush: Man vs Paint
Project Index
Proud member of Corporea's Corps, Mocha's Minions and Pixel's Posse
Former member of the CashWiley Fan Club
Posted Image

#71 Argentee

Argentee

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 1372 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:11 AM

Absolutely not! An ascot is a focal piece of a gentleman's wardrobe!

I'd go with a patterned green, possibly match it to the hatband. Possibly a gold.

He did say he didn't want to make it too much of a focal point. I was trying to play it down which the matching subdued color would do.

I like the idea of a gold. Sun Yellow or palimino gold? Id worry about green looking Christmassy with the red coat.

"They'll sell you thousands of greens. Veronese green and emerald green and cadmium green and any sort of green you like; but that particular green, never."  - Pablo Picasso

ss_fx_by_girot-d5xrcq0.gif

#72 MonkeySloth

MonkeySloth

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 5506 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 10:37 AM

No people are correct that ascots are supposed to be focal points, I just get hung on up color balance when painting but also didn't want to go something that was too strong like a bright yellow or blue as I think it would look out of place.

Green would work if I make it very muted which and Olive green would be if done right (would need to highlight with tans probably) and doing some dot patterns on it and the had band would be interesting and fun I think. I've gotten other recommendations for doing the ascot white with a blue shade as my figure is 100% warm at the moment. Will need to think.

@monkeysloth

#73 psyberwolfe1

psyberwolfe1

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 2241 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 10:45 AM

I bet you can achieve the cool down with blue-whites on the lapels and cuffs. Then use neutral cool colors for the hat band, spats, and shoes/boots.

2014 Painting Goal: 6 Figures/ 36 Painted as of 01/22/2014

For other Wargame and miniature related stuff you can read my blog at http://tacticalrock.blogspot.com

Does anybody else find it odd, by the way, that the information age has led to language becoming an oblique and imprecise tool where even the most straightforward phrasing is pored over with chicken entrails and bone tossing to divine the true meaning?

... nobody remembers Slave Leia because, "Oh my gosh! What innovative use of bronze."

Meep.jpg

#74 Nocturne

Nocturne

King of the North

• Members
  • 3254 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 05:50 AM

The gentleman's rule has always been dark suit - bright ascot, bright suit - dark ascot. A subdued green should work well and avoid the christmas problem.
  • CashWiley likes this

@nocturnerose

Currently procrastinating

#75 MonkeySloth

MonkeySloth

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 5506 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 02:30 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions. As it turned out I was showing this to my friend and he wanted a goldish-yellow for the ascot and like the idea of a pattern. It's probably not as "goldish" as he wanted but it was looking too much like mustard so I changed the yellow to a marigold. Also repainted up the white with blue shading, as suggested, and it looks much better.

Doing the dots was interesting as it's hard to get a consistent size and strength (in color) but did find that if I twisted the brush after having made contact with the miniature it was much more consistent then just trying to daub them all on. I didn't really notice this to the end, but it's something I want to try doing again.

The base was an experiment with using pigments to do shading and highlighting and...yea, I don't think this type of pattern was best suited for that. Got some decent shading in some areas but couldn't get my brighter pigments to stick to anything (using secret weapon) as it was clumpy as if there was some water in my brush.

Right now I'm pretty much done. Need to make the plastic rings that I'll use to show him casting spells Iron Kingdoms style and get them marked up, thankfully the guy who's character this is happens to be a decent artist so I'm going to make him draw\paint\whatever the runs on that plastic as I know my freehand would be horrible. Once that gets done, may add some OSL around the hand as well, I'll place him in the show off.

The blending isn't' the best but it's a warm-up piece and a gaming piece so I'm happy with him but I'm always open to suggestions.

WP_002506.jpg
  • malefactus, Nocturne and CashWiley like this

@monkeysloth

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users