• Please log in to reply
724 replies to this topic

#76 Argentee

Argentee

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 1372 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:05 PM

Wonderful job on the cravat! The dots make it look like patterned silk or satin shimmering!

"They'll sell you thousands of greens. Veronese green and emerald green and cadmium green and any sort of green you like; but that particular green, never."  - Pablo Picasso

ss_fx_by_girot-d5xrcq0.gif

#77 MonkeySloth

MonkeySloth

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 5498 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 12:30 AM

Thank you. I'm quite happy with the colors and the doting as well.

Next up is our Gobber Rifleman. Since the Privateer selection on Gobbers is rather slim I'm using a Wyrd Miniature (Raphael LaCroix) but I needed to convert his gun into a rifle. Pretty simple conversion but now I'm working on a scope (the white and green thing above it) and we'll see how that turns out as I need to add some more GS once this sets and then sand.

WP_002518.jpg

Since this is for my RPG game the character is supposed to be wearing a primate skull so I did a few attempts in some GS. We'll see if I continue down this route as it would be a shame to cover up the expressive face (even just the top half) of this miniature. These were the best two and I'm thinking if I wait for them to dry I might be able to get a little better one each but I need to break down the skull into at least two layers as things were too squishy to fully shape (one is actually missing the back half of the skull). This was my first time doing something completely out of GS and the fact that it actually looks sort of what it's supposed to is encouraging.

WP_002521.jpg

@monkeysloth

New: Current Contest and Active Ribbon list | My Tutorial List and WIP Thread

I never thought I'd write this...but I agree with MonkeySloth on this one. ~ Adrift

#78 MonkeySloth

MonkeySloth

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 5498 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 12:06 AM

I decided not to make the skull mostly because the reason I picked up this miniature for my friend's player is I wanted to paint the face, so why cover it up?

Speaking of face I did some starting work on this guy. My friend wanted a similar skin color as to the ogrun I did for the July\August challenge so I started with the same P3 rucksack tan but am instead shading this down with P3 Traitor green (a Khaki with a bit of green in it) and then a dark olive. Not sure I'm liking the look though--but I don't like totally dump color schemes I've chosen as one doesn't learn much if you do that. Thinking I'll need to add some dark brown or purple as another shade and see if placing the Traitor green on a little thicker (as it's quite thin) will give me a better transition from the tan to the olive as the straight shade into green just isn't working. Maybe if I was going for some artistic piece and doing gray scale to green this would work.

Sorry about the bad picture as my Camera absolutely refused to give me a good picture of this guy, not sure what was going on but might be because of how little color there is on the miniature in the first place.

WP_002546.jpg

Also, yes I did modify the right hand from the original--It fits the overall tone of the sculpt a little better. ;)
  • CashWiley likes this

@monkeysloth

I never thought I'd write this...but I agree with MonkeySloth on this one. ~ Adrift

#79 CashWiley

CashWiley

Great Old One (With Bow)

• 7392 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 08:10 AM

I like the skin in the first shot.
The Wily Brush: Man vs Paint
Project Index
Proud member of Corporea's Corps, Mocha's Minions and Pixel's Posse
Former member of the CashWiley Fan Club
Posted Image

#80 MonkeySloth

MonkeySloth

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 5498 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 12:56 AM

Been a weird week and haven't just been productive until a bit today, have family in town this weekend but I'm hoping to get some time Saturday and Sunday.

I added a bit of purple to some areas as well as painting up the mouth and teeth to help get some other colors which helped determine what range of various greens and brownish-greens that I added to the mix and I'm really liking things now. Not happy with the ears yet but I think I just have a bit of highlighting and need to smooth out the top of the head and then the lips and the head will be done (was tempted to paint some eyebrows on this guy though as I was wondering "Why don't goblins ever have them?").

WP_002562.jpg
  • Teskal and klyons99 like this

@monkeysloth

#81 MonkeySloth

MonkeySloth

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 5498 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 01:42 AM

Update time. Pretty much done with the skin, and I think I got that ear fixed as well, as well as the pants. Think I also figured out how to finally do highlights on smaller edges as the pants mark the first time I've gotten 3 highlight colors in and not just had them all covering each other. That would put the pants at 7, skin is 7 two but only 2 are highlights.

The paints are a base of P3 Bloodtracker Brown with shades being P3 Skorne Red with some black, then that mix with some Reaper Brown liner then just plain brown liner. Highlights are a mix of Bloodtracker and Rucksack Tan (his flesh base), then Rucksack and then I just followed the skin highlighting up.

I also learned today, via that primer test I posted elsewhere, how freaking glossy P3 paint is. Always found it strange how reflective some of my WIP shots are and you can see it in this image as I blocked in the bandanna with a reaper paint and it's pretty flat compared to the pants and skin, though the real reason I blocked that color in is to make sure I could get something that wasn't green or brown on to this miniature. Since I'm painting him up for a RPG game I needed to consider the fact he's a sniper and the base is going to be forest ruins themed so I needed to make sure there wasn't any color that wouldn't make sense (basically make him too easy to see) but needed something to break up the common colors I had been using.

WP_002587.jpg
  • Pixel likes this

@monkeysloth

#82 Kuro Cleanbrush

Kuro Cleanbrush

Master

• Bones Supporter
  • 889 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 10:34 PM

Life has been keeping me too busy to really paint lately, so I haven't been on the forums in a while, but it's great to see that you're still paintin' up a storm! Everything is looking excellent, and I think that your color choices for the little sniper are spot-on! Keep up the great work!

1656085_593580044065387_73508893_n.jpg

My Facebook Gallery

Proud member of Cash's Crew, Corporea's Corps, Pixel's Posse, and Mocha's Minions!

#83 Adrift

Adrift

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 2207 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 10:52 PM

MonkeySloth, I'm loving the goblin and I think the skintone is top notch!

Just a thought, but I'd love to see you add a dark brown outline around his toenails to make them look dirty! He seems like a dirty goblin.

#84 MonkeySloth

MonkeySloth

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 5498 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 11:50 PM

Thanks guys. I have the shirt and bandanna done, think they both look good, and have started the coat. Hopefully I'll get that finished tomorrow.

I'm wanting to use pigments to dirty his feet but I do need to go through and work on the teeth some so I might do that to get them defined more. The problem I'm having is I really haven't worked with pigments much so I'm not quite sure if I can get the dirty toenail look via them so maybe it'll need to be a complement where I do what you suggested and then add the pigment. Not quite sure. May need to test it out on a tester model first.

@Kuro I'm chugging along but you should check out Adrift's entries for the Halloween contest, that man has been smoking me these past few months.
  • Kuro Cleanbrush likes this

@monkeysloth

#85 Adrift

Adrift

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 2207 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 12:34 AM

What worked for me when I did this will my Bones Hill Giant was to paint the toenails and beds dark brown. Then glazed the toenails with skin pigments. It was simple and effective.

#86 Adrift

Adrift

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 2207 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 12:35 AM

@Kuro I'm chugging along but you should check out Adrift's entries for the Halloween contest, that man has been smoking me these past few months.

You're too kind my friend. You may notice the leaves that made their way into the diorama. ^_^

#87 MonkeySloth

MonkeySloth

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 5498 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 10:15 AM

I did. Glad you got them in time. Sadly, since I'm a judge, I make myself avoid the show off and WIP threads until after the contest is over so I haven't really been able to comment on them.

@monkeysloth

#88 Adrift

Adrift

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 2207 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 10:42 AM

It makes sense!

#89 Kuro Cleanbrush

Kuro Cleanbrush

Master

• Bones Supporter
  • 889 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 01:18 PM

Indeed! That is a huge amount of work to accomplish! I've done a couple of dioramas in the past, but the main one took me an entire summer and was only a fraction of the quality of Adrift's!

Oh, and I thought that I should let you know that I did indeed get started on the school casting project I mentioned several months ago; it's just been slow going. I'm sculpting my college's mascot out of green stuff so that my design team and I can build molds and cast him in the next several months. I basically just have the hands and face left on the sculpt, but those are scaring me half to death! But, hey, if things get really difficult, I got an email from Reaper Ed saying they'd be happy to help however they can! I'll post a WIP soon.
  • MonkeySloth likes this

1656085_593580044065387_73508893_n.jpg

My Facebook Gallery

Proud member of Cash's Crew, Corporea's Corps, Pixel's Posse, and Mocha's Minions!

#90 MonkeySloth

MonkeySloth

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 5498 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 03:08 PM

That's awesome. Can't wait to see the WIP stuff.

@monkeysloth

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users