• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Digital M@

Digital M@

Godlike

• GM
  • 4971 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 11:15 PM

I started a red worm bin late this summer and I cannot believe how fast these worms multiply. It is amazing to see how the population grows in spurts. I dumped 3/4+ of my worms and dirt into my vegetable garden in late fall so they could get down before the cold and the left over bits of food could decompose. I figured it would take awhile for my population to rebuild and I would be fine through winter I was wrong. I have a 20 gallon container and it is busting at the seams. Worms are crawling out of the top of the lid and out of the small weep holes in the bottom. I opened it yesterday and found thousands of baby worms. Every inch of the sides of the bin were covered in them, and there war 2-3 clumps of baby worms the size of golf balls. I need some warm weather so I can dump them out. They are composting 1-2 lbs of food a week. Nature is cool.

#2 joshuaslater

joshuaslater

CareBear

• Bones Supporter
  • 6549 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 07:34 AM

Can o' worms indeed!
A miniature venture of mine: http://www.cauldronbornminiatures.com

#3 Spike

Spike

Goddess of Cupcakes and Cute Orcs

• Black Lightning
  • 6961 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 12:03 PM

If you were closer by I'd be willing to take a worm colony off your hands. We're breaking ground for our expanded veggie garden right now and y'all know how hard Georgia clay can be. We have three compost tumblers half-full and ready to go, but worms would be excellent. I'm not so wild about using lime, as too much lime is bad for the tomatoes.

linkmeg.gif
Aio, quantitas magna caseus est!

http://28mmtheatre.blogspot.com/

#4 Frankthedm

Frankthedm

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 3219 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 12:13 AM

How to Eat Fried Worms

"Life gives you lemons you make lemonade, Life gives you whales... whale burgers." -Cadaver

#5 Digital M@

Digital M@

Godlike

• GM
  • 4971 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 10:19 AM

First you bite the heads off

#6 Baphomet69

Baphomet69

The Big Boner

• Bones Supporter
  • 2516 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 06:12 AM

Nah, first you soak them in tequila....

:poke:
"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
John Stuart Mill
English economist & philosopher (1806 - 1873)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users