• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Baphomet69

Baphomet69

The Big Boner

• Bones Supporter
  • 2513 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 08:10 AM

I've talked about it in other threads, but I'd like to take a moment to promote BRP/CF. Classic Fantasy is an attempt to bring the "classic" D&D feel to Chaosium's BRP system. If you're not familiar with it, I encourage you to give it a look (Chaosium has a free PDF quick start version of the BRP rules here: http://catalog.chaos...roducts_id=3700 ). With the addition of Classic Fantasy, it's truly what I wish D&D had been from the beginning.

Anyway, there is a yahoo group for Classic Fantasy as well. I've begun converting classic D&D modules over to use with BRP/CF and uploading them to the group. B1 In Search of the Unknown and B2 Keep on the Borderlands are already available and T1-4 Temple of Elemental Evil should be posted in the next day or two. And I hope to do more, as long as I can keep burn-out at bay...

That's my sales pitch, although I don't work for Chaosium and have no financial stake in any of this. I just really think it is a superb game and would like to see it do well and get more attention (which it deserves).

Finally, I thought this would make an appropriate 1000th post! :poke:

P.s. I like BRP so much, I'd like to someday convert my other favorite games to the system (Twilight:2000, Shadowrun, Traveller, etc.). Some have already been fan-produced. Star Wars, Traveller:2300 have both at least been started, to name a couple. And of course BRP has always been the basis for Call of Cthulhu as well...
"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
John Stuart Mill
English economist & philosopher (1806 - 1873)

#2 haldir

haldir

I Don't Look Like My Avatar

• Bones Supporter
  • 12550 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 09:55 AM

Welcome to the club!!

I may have to check that out, thou I'm happy with S&W being my retro-rpg for right now.
Posted Image Posted Image Oh what the hell-- Posted Image

ReaperCon goer since 2005!

"The Road Goes Ever On......

"Lop that mutt's nards off spike! " orcsoul

#3 gwangi32

gwangi32

Godlike

• GM
  • 1182 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 01:44 PM

I agree: Chaosium/BRP is a great system. I have been a fan of Call of Cthulhu since it came out, and I have just upgraded to the recent rules. Just no group to run with in SE Texas currently. I get my fix from Yog Radio podcast for now. Paul of Cthulhu and company had mentioned the many supplements coming out for BRP in one podcast so I downloaded the rules. Odd thought here--If I remeber right the original fantasy game from Chaosium was Runequest.

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." Xenophon

#4 Baphomet69

Baphomet69

The Big Boner

• Bones Supporter
  • 2513 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 02:04 PM

That's correct, though I don't recall if they had it first or got it from Avalon Hill. They also did Elric! and Super World among others, all based to more or less extent on the core BRP. In fact most of the optional parts of BRP today come from the predecessors.
"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
John Stuart Mill
English economist & philosopher (1806 - 1873)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users