Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Goblyn

2318 Ferach Orc Warlord

3 posts in this topic

You look like you're off to a solid start in your miniature painting, but if you're like me you'd also like some insights so I think I'll share.

It looks like you do a dark shade and one highlight layer then on top of that, maybe 2 highlight layers on certain parts of the mini. I now do no less that 4-5 layers of shading/blending and highlighting, and that is probably just a conservative guess. I still have a lot of practice ahead of me to where I can blend like some of the 'masters' out there.

Start studying lighting. You'll note that the chainmail you painted on the back of the orc is uniformly painted, but there are undulations in the actual pattern wherein certain areas of the chainmail would receive more light than others and this will result in brighter highlights of the more lit areas. You'll find this really adds depth. I study the way light hits things all the time these days, whether facial features, metal, statues, folds of clothing, etc.

Hope this is insightful and not overwhelming. :)

thank you i apreciated

i only do 2 layers, in the next mini i am gonna try more layers :)

for the chainmail i only painted the armor in silver and a black wash to fill the holes

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Lucian523
      Hello again everyone, I've decided to just abandon the idea of a WIP thread because I don't login often enough to post the updates.
      Anyway here are my next three mini's, all from Reaper.Thor, Telemnar, & Nonalla.
      For the Thor mini, I decided against going lighter on the highlights on the hair and fur...ugh I just realized you can't really see the fur in the pictures :/

For the Telemnar mini, I painted a wood grain design on both side actually, but on the outside it's really subtle since it's been painted over. The shield came out well,
      The silver part of his armor not so much. I tried dark washing and brushing it but to no avail. I think everything else turned out well, I tried to highlight the hair too
      but it doesn't show well in the pictures.

Nonalla was the last mini, but the first mini I've every tried OSL on. I think I did a pretty good job, the yellow is where the fire is closest, and it's more orange/red further
      away. Maybe I should have tried to highlight the tips of the fire too? This mini was specifically bought to be a practice mini. I'm working up to eventually painting the
      Domur High Mage Anniversary mini.
      C&C requested, how can I do better next time? Oh and someday I'll get some basing and flocking, when I order the next set of mini's.

Thanks!
    • By PurpleLlama
      I finally finished this guy up.  Im fairly happy with how everything turned out.  But I feel like I need to work a lot more on my hair and maybe next time try NMM to see how that goes.

You can see most of my color choices and progress in my WIP found here:

Comments and suggestions welcome!
    • By Werkrobotwerk
      I just realized, I had posted in randomness that this guy was the first bones 3 mini I painted, but I forgot to post pictures. So here is a little blue power armor. 

• By Garomero
      Hey guys been away for a while with a severe illness however am slowly getting back on the horse through much pestering by a dear friend! I have painted a Black reach Ork warboss in Evil sunz colours and added small details to his surroundings. Using milliput I made vines with venus fly trap heads! also added a couple of skaven mini rats to the base! I hope you like my submission and as always comments are welcomed and gladly received!

• By Guindyloo
      So this is a thing that's happening right now.

No promises on how fast this is going to happen, especially with my impending Bones 3 shipment, but I thought I'd throw this on here.
  • Who's Online   47 Members, 5 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)