3 posts in this topic
Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
By Ash Adler
This one was about doing some more experimenting, such as:
Painting eyes before skin (I think I'll keep doing this) Painting the base for the eyes with a color instead of just black (I went with purple, and the fact that I feel compelled to say that probably shows how ineffective it was at looking like some colored eyeliner instead of a black outline) Painting the base early (I don't think I'll keep doing this, unless it's for a specific reason with certain minis) Trying to create a fair skin tone with warm undertones (I liked what I was able to do for this) Trying to do blonde hair (turned out a little darker than ideal, and it needed more highlights, but at least it was reasonably blonde-ish) Trying to combine washing with layering highlights on the same part (I think my biggest mistake here was not doing some layering on the shaded zones, since I relied too much on base coat+wash to fill in that side of the gradient) More blacklining (really liking the effect this has, though I need to work on the neatness and thickness of the lines)
More pictures and thoughts as I worked on it at my blog: link
Overall, I like the results, but I'm really annoyed at how stark the transition between the shades and highlights on the skirt turned out. Looking back, I'm not sure why I didn't do some glazing on it, because I could tell that it was too much even while painting the rest of the mini. I guess I'm still new enough to the hobby that I'm going to have stupid oversights like that. Anyway, C&C welcome
By Ash Adler
I had a really good time with this kit, and I feel like I learned a lot from it, too. Win-win!
This is probably my best paint job to date, and it was pretty cool to see those highlights and shades build up layer by layer. Similar to the skeleton in the first kit, this one was quite fun to work on despite being a fairly simple model.
If the wizard was the best paint job, this one was the most fun. Sadly, something about the posture just confounded me when it came to trying to take good pictures of it. Also, those lips
I was a bit sloppy with this one, probably because I wanted to just finish with the kits and get on to doing my own minis again. Nevertheless, it was a neat challenge to try doing so many layers of colors for this one, and if nothing else, that left eye is probably the best eye I've painted (right one's a bit of a mess ).
On the whole, I'm very grateful for all of the people who suggested getting the LTP kits. Definitely a great couple of learning tools. Many thanks!
Idk if this is a KS model or one I randomly bought to fill out our need for giant monsters that are not cardboard cutouts. Anyway, he's done. He was going to maybe go in a desert diorama but I decided against (he didn't end up fitting). I might go back over his claw bits again tho, they seem a lot darker in the pic than they do IRL but theyr'e still just not quite right. Anyway, he's based on a couple of RL pics, mostly going for a shiny red carapace kind of idea. He's not in my WIP thread, so just a quick note, I undercoated him mournfang brown (a red brown GW colour) and then built up to the red with reaper's bloodstain red and later clotted red (my absolutely fave triad *ever*)
By Ash Adler
Intellect devourers were always one of my favorite D&D monsters, so I'd been planning on painting this mini eventually, but I never got around to buying it since it was kind of plain compared to most other minis. As fortune had it, though, I got it as a bonus with my last order from Reaper, so I decided to just do it. Color scheme was based on a mixture of the AD&D 2nd Edition Monstrous Manual intellect devourer, the more "realistic" 3rd edition version, and a smattering of actual crabs.
As usual, the process of working on it is on my blog: link
Unfortunately, I wasn't sure how to handle holding a mini without a base that I could stick on top of a shot glass. I held it by unpainted parts for as long as I could, but in the end, I held it by the brain to finish off the talons. Sadly, that led to some of the paint getting rubbed off (probably could've avoided at least some of that if I hadn't been squeezing it so hard, but it's easy to forget my strength at times). Aside from that, though, I'm rather pleased with how it turned out . It was a simple mini, but I enjoyed it. C&C welcome (especially any tips for how to avoid damaging finished paint on baseless minis, short of varnishing a completed area to hold it by for the final parts).
Who's Online 25 Members, 1 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)