chris_valera

Small-scle figures / Figs compatible with GW's Lord of the Rings?

29 posts in this topic

What's up guys, I'm looking for figures that are true-28, and compatible with the figures from GW's Lord of the Rings range? Maybe figures from earlier in their sculpting days?

--Chris

The only thing that comes to mind is the stuff Tom Meier is putting out over at Thunderbolt Mountain. Most everything else I can think of is chunkier than the GW LotR figures. And older stuff tends to be less finely detailed.

Red Box Games?

Hasslefree?

though I do think this thread should go to a different section ::):

I'd say older Ral Partha stuff would be worth a try. They still have a lot of stuff available at Iron Wind Metals and it's a good deal smaller than the heroic scale.

Wait, wasn't there another company that put out LotR figures, back in the day? I'm thinking Harlequin?

So first you don't want true 28mm because LoTR are, in theory, sculpted as true 25mm. Making it incompatible with existing GW lines was a requirement in the contract. As mentioned Thunderbolt Mountain should be a good match as would the old Ral Partha line (oddly by the same sculptor Tom Meier) most of which are available from Iron Wind Metals.

Red Box Games?

Hasslefree?

though I do think this thread should go to a different section ::):

Red Box and Hasslefree should be a good start for your needs.

I don't know about Red Box but Hasslefree is clearly to big, they make beefy 28mm figs, unless there's a line I don't know about.

Are you thinking Hasslefree or Heresy? Kevin White's stuff is usually a bit on the smaller/slender side of things. I have a number of Hasslefree's dwarves and they would all slot right in with the LoTR dwarves.

Edited by Heisler

I was thinking of Heresy, but the Hasslefree stuff doesn't look too good either. I'm looking at the fantasy chars and they're all a touch too big. Thunderbolt Mountain is looking like my best bet.

Some of the older Kargir Orcs might work for you as well. Look to the ones in the old army packs. They are about 26-28 mm from bottom of foot to top of head. Check out the orcs in the 2200/2300's and some of the old 4 packs: 6015-6017, 6026, 6027, 6038. Those are the ones from the old Apocalypse game Reaper put out. The scale difference between these old guys and some of the newer ones is pretty pronounced.

I'm pretty sure mega minis are true 25. I've bought a bunch of their stuff and it is significantly smaller and slimmer than GW and much of reaper.

If you're not married to metal you might also look at Mantic Games. Their elves are comparable in size and scale to GW LotR, though the orcs are not.

I'm pretty sure mega minis are true 25. I've bought a bunch of their stuff and it is significantly smaller and slimmer than GW and much of reaper.

The Julie Guthrie stuff on the Mega Minis site is pretty small, and great old sculpts as well! Lots of player characters available, lots of elves, dwarves and hobbits!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By bailey03
      Having finished up my historical Dragoon, I decided to switch gears work on a fantasy project.  A while back I'd agreed to help out with the Ouroborus Tales Kickstarter and provide a 'painting journal' describing how I went about painting one of the orcs from that project.  The figures arrived a few weeks ago, so I wanted to make sure that was up next on my to-paint list.  The official painting journal is only for the project backers, but I can still share work in progress and info online.  But the painting journal will have more detailed step by step photos and a more in-depth discussion (sorry, gotta save some secrets for that! =P).  Because I like to get the most out of this project, I'm also planning to enter the piece into the 'Eavier Metal painting competition over on their facebook group.

For anyone not familiar with the sculpt, here's what the orc brave looks like:

It's a nice sculpt, roughly 54mm scale (though smaller than the Black Sailors figures which look closer to 75mm).  The title makes me think native american, but there aren't any overtly native american features (features, headdress, etc).  The weapons and clothing are primitive so I'm leaning more towards the savage orcs from the warhammer fluff.

There's a lot of skin on this guy (no armor covering it up), so I wanted to do something with the green to keep it interesting.  I decided to go with a two-tone skin.  So green on the back/sides and an off white on the belly.  Helps convey a more primitive animalistic look to him.  I'm also going to work in more color variation in select spots.

Still at a very early stage.  I've base coated a lot of the piece and sketched in the shadows on the body.  My main focus has been the face, where I've done the green portions and details like the eyes, nose, and lips.  I still need to do the teeth, inside of the ears, white on the bottom of the jaw, and add some glazes.  But, this gives you an idea where it's going.  I'm taking the skin one section at a time, so after this I'll probably try to tackle that left arm and then move on to other parts of the body.  I'm enjoying the piece so far, but still have lots to do!

• By Orlando_the_Technicoloured

I remember that the first Imbrian Arts KS had a lot of issues and delays, but I don't know whether it was eventually sorted out or not so if any previous backers have any info it would be worth speaking up.

The minis look good though
    • By Jaws
      These are my players for Chaos, in Blood Bowl. The Minotaur/Ogre and daemonettes, are from GW, and the Warriors are a mix of parts from GW, and Avatars of War. 

• By eltentaculorojo
      Howdy all!

I'm going to start a Mouse Guard group for kids (around 5 to 7-ish years old) soon. I have the mouseling minis for the mice themselves, but I need minis for a wide variety of NPCs and enemies. This is the tentative list I've come up with, based on the core book and the size chart that I attached. I'd like to stay within Bones, but I'm totally okay with spreading out into different Reaper brands. If you folks have any suggestions, it would be much appreciated. I'm mostly looking for miniatures that fit the size categories and look similar to the creature intended (i.e., the Dragon Tortoise for a snapping turtle). If the animal has (Int) in front of this, it has its own society in the world of Mouse Guard, and thus would be wearing clothes, wielding weapons, etc. Thanks for the help!

(Colossal-Gargantuan)
      Bear--Schleich Grizzly Bear 14685
      Moose--Shleich Bull Moose 14781

(Huge)
      Wolf--Schleich Wolf 14741
      Wolverine--Schleich Wolverine 14646
      Deer--Schleich White-tailed Buck 14709

(Large-Huge)
      Coyote--77202: Warg
      (Int) Otter/Sable--Harrek - Otter Cleric - DSM8083 and Otter Knight with Sword and Shield - DSM8087 and Otter Ranger with Bow DSM8089 and Otter Rogue with Loot - DSM8088 and Otter Mage with Staff - DSM8090 and FL13 Otter Mercenary and FL11 Otter Rogue

(Large)
      Fox--77202: Warg
      Badger--Safari Ltd. Badger 295429 and FL05 Gnarls and Thug, Shrew Slaver and Slave Badger (shows an intelligent badger but way better scale than anything else)
      Raccoon--Safari Ltd. Racoon 223029
      (Int) Marten--Harrek - Otter Cleric - DSM8083 and Otter Knight with Sword and Shield - DSM8087 and Otter Ranger with Bow DSM8089 and Otter Rogue with Loot - DSM8088 and Otter Mage with Staff - DSM8090 and FL13 Otter Mercenary and FL11 Otter Rogue
      Cat--77341: Lions (2)
      Snapping Turtle--77334: Dragon Tortoise

(Medium-Large)
      Skunk
      Beaver
      Hare
      Whistle Pig
      Porcupine
      Owl--77156: Owlbear

(Medium)
      (Int) Weasel/Mink--Wererat matriarch: 77296 and 01429: Shoatima, Otter Ranger (sadly no longer in production) and BB20 Weasel rogue and FL01 Drunken Weasel and BB11 Ferret Rogue
      Mole
      Squirrel
      Rabbit--Schleich Wild Rabbit 14631
      Flying Squirrel
      Snake--03676: Giant Snake (not bones)
      Bullfrog--02665: Killer Frogs (not bones)
      Lizard/Newt/Salamander--77371: Basilisk
      Crow/Killdeer/Blue Jay--

(Small-Medium)
      (Int) Mouse--Mouselings!; Evil Mice: BB17 Great Brown Rat and FL02 Black Rat Witch and BB16 Rat Warrior and BB18 Rat Assassain and FL04 Black Rat Rogue
      Bat--03795: Giant Bats (3) (not bones)
      Chipmunk
      (Int) Young Weasel--Wererat matriarch: 77296 and 01429: Shoatima, Otter Ranger (sadly no longer in production)

(Small-Tiny)
      Insect--77126: Vermin: Spiders (2)
      Baby Snake
      Tadpole

• By Dai-Mongar
      I've started working on a classic Chaos sorcerer (variously known as Hutk'Nile, Hutk'Nke or Huth'Nke the plague priest) for a painting challenge at the local Warhammer shop. Basic challenge, paint a single GW character or infantry mini by April 1st and customers will vote for the best in store. I don't think there's even any kind of prize involved, but it's a good excuse to get something done and flex my painting muscles a bit.
      So, I started with some zenithal priming using spray cans:

Then started on the robes:

The base colour is Tausept Ochre, an old Citadel foundation colour, shaded with some RMS Russet Brown and highlighted with RMS Amber Gold and Ghost White (linen white probably would have suited better, but oh well) using wet blending. I've also added a bit of Clear Purple to the Russet Brown for the deepest shadows to try and get some more interesting colour contrast going on.
      I need to do a bit of tidying up of the highlights, but I'm pretty happy with the robes now and I'll move on to the flesh next I think. I'm considering a pallid flesh colour with some bluish tones, or maybe green.
  • Who's Online   11 Members, 0 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)