Photo

Small-scle figures / Figs compatible with GW's Lord of the Rings?

fantasy

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#16 TheDungeonDelver

TheDungeonDelver

Instigator

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 04:45 PM

For the record, RAFM, Grenadier, Ral Partha* and Mithril have all done or do 25mm or 28mm LotR figures.

*=this may have been them importing RAFM, however.
The Delver's Dungeon has a new home! www.thedelversdungeon.com

#17 chris_valera

chris_valera

Rabble Rouser

• Members
  • Pip
  • 75 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 08:41 PM

Thanks for the suggestions on Mantic and Mega Minis. I went through the Julie Guthrie stuff, and it is 25mm, but woefully posed. I'll keep them in mind and second-string figures.

Went all the way out to Brookhurst Hobbies today and found that female (and hobbit) figures are close to the same size. In particular, I picked up:

02021 Tara the Silent
02036 Nicole of the Blade
02366 Dar Dimplefoot
02058 Elia Shadowfeet

So hopefully you'll see some painting threads soon. If anyone has any figs that are close to this scale, LMK.

#18 chris_valera

chris_valera

Rabble Rouser

• Members
  • Pip
  • 75 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 11:25 PM

#19 Baphomet69

Baphomet69

The Big Boner

• Bones Supporter
  • 2627 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 05:15 AM

'all the way out to Brookhurst Hobbies', where abouts are you? My group wargames there most Sundays.
"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
John Stuart Mill
English economist & philosopher (1806 - 1873)

#20 chris_valera

chris_valera

Rabble Rouser

• Members
  • Pip
  • 75 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 12:48 PM

Redondo Beach

#21 Baphomet69

Baphomet69

The Big Boner

• Bones Supporter
  • 2627 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 12:58 PM

I don't know if you've heard of it before, but the second Saturday of every month (this Saturday, in fact) there is a Hobby Day in Anaheim:
http://www.google.co...6HqQij-VvmkBqNA

You'll find wargames, rpg's, board games, model building, painting, you name it. Some folks there play LotR, but not every month. Great group of people.
"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
John Stuart Mill
English economist & philosopher (1806 - 1873)

#22 chris_valera

chris_valera

Rabble Rouser

• Members
  • Pip
  • 75 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 01:29 PM

Sounds great, but Anaheim is way too far outta the way.
  • captenglish likes this

#23 chris_valera

chris_valera

Rabble Rouser

• Members
  • Pip
  • 75 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 08:34 PM

Just found some figs while rummaging through some stuff; 2042: Merith Of The Flame is in-scale for LotR as well.

#24 chris_valera

chris_valera

Rabble Rouser

• Members
  • Pip
  • 75 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 09:33 PM

Just got another fig; 2100 Trissa Cleverhill is in-scale for LotR as well. Basically most of the women from the Reaper range are okay (except the ones that are clearly 32mm scale) as long as you don't mind the women being exactly the same height as the men

#25 MikeD

MikeD

Enlightened

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 03:01 PM

So first you don't want true 28mm because LoTR are, in theory, sculpted as true 25mm.

While some of the first releases were close to 25mm, most of the GW LOTR stuff is more like 28mm. The difference is that most of it is more realistically proportioned than GW's other SF and Fantasy stuff, which is all "heroic" with oversized arms, hands, and weapons. THe old Ral Partha stuff is "true" 25mm, and will probably look pretty short compared to the current GW LOTR stuff.
Mike
- Lord of the Unpainted Hoard!

#26 Heisler

Heisler

Auctioneer at Large

• Auctioneer
  • 6694 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 01:18 PM

For the record, RAFM, Grenadier, Ral Partha* and Mithril have all done or do 25mm or 28mm LotR figures.

*=this may have been them importing RAFM, however.

Near as we can determine neither RAFM or Ral Partha made LoTR figures, licensed versions anyway.
* It's NOT denial. I'm just very selective about the reality I accept. -- Calvin (Calvin and Hobbes)
* Cry havoc, and let slip the dogs of war - Shakespeare's Julius Caeser
* Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.
* We occasionally stumble over the truth but most of us pick ourselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened. Winston Churchill
* Tardis Express: When it absolutely, positively, has to be there yesterday
* Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more, ... - Shakespeare's Henry V
* My two hobby blog; Wargames and Railroads

#27 chris_valera

chris_valera

Rabble Rouser

• Members
  • Pip
  • 75 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 06:05 PM

Found another fig; 2007 Domur Hunters Moon is in scale for LotR as well. He's thin and frail and quite short, and fits in very well

--Chris

#28 SIGIL

SIGIL

Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 966 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 12:35 PM

Thanks Josh and Nameless.

Chris, I have quite a few customers who buy my Red Box GAmes figures specifically to augment their GW LOTR forces. I am told that they are the best match scale wise in the market right now. This goes especially for the dwarves and shirelings ( halfling / hobbit / gnome/ wot wot. ) but also for the humans and elves as well. Some of my humans will eb a bit bigger bu tthe differennc is mostly int he muscular bulk or standing height. The head / hand size is very consistent.

#29 MikeD

MikeD

Enlightened

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 12:10 PM

D'oh! Already posted on this. :wacko:
Mike
- Lord of the Unpainted Hoard!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: fantasy

0 user(s) are reading this topic