• Please log in to reply
173 replies to this topic

#1 wildbill

wildbill

Tulsa Warlord Gawd

• T-Town Crew
  • 3173 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 12:17 PM

I'm sorry to have to say this, but with only ONE Dwarf model in the new Dark Heavens Bones lineup, this is doomed to failure. :down:

But, up the Dwarf count, and voila! Instant success!! ::D:

Actually, I am glad that someone finally came out with plastics that AREN'T prepainted! Prepainted are cool for people like myself who don't paint, but if I am trying to fill in a couple of gaps in my army, chances are high the prepaints won't match. ::):

Wild Bill :blues:
  • Adrift likes this

"Chuck Norris and Mr. T walked into a bar. The bar was instantly destroyed, as that level of awesome cannot be contained in one building."

My Indian name is "Runs With Beer".

#2 Inarah

Inarah

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 4208 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 12:33 PM

So... what kind of plastic is this? Is it like the pre-paints? Is it like the plastic that GW, Mantic and Warlord Games are using?
~It's not broken.... it's a conversion. ~

"I got my brother and his six year old hooked last week. They were soon back at the friendly local for more. Starts with a cute lil unicorn, next thing you're onto griffins and purple worms." ~ Carnacki the Ghost Finder

#3 Dr.Bedlam

Dr.Bedlam

Godlike

• Members
  • 3635 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 12:34 PM

I was assuming they're just Legendary Encounters without paint. As to the selection, I figure Ed and company just wanted to throw a few out there, and see what the market reaction was.

"Actually, I DO look like my avatar..." tumblr_me9zrqN4dK1rao9jio1_400.jpg

Bringer of Gonturzaps

http://www.reapermin...040-gonturzaps/

#4 Reaperbryan

Reaperbryan

Living Miniature

• Reaper Peeps
  • 9626 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 12:55 PM

We have a very ambitious roadmap for future releases, although yes, the initial launch is from LE (to help keep costs down).

It's the same kind of plastic on the LE figures, so it flexes rather than snaps, and is easy to cut and shape.
  • Dr.Bedlam and Qwyksilver like this

bryan@reapermini.com This post is 100% organic. No Artifical Spellcheck or Grammar Check was used in the manufacturing of this post. No Zombies were harmed in the making of this post.

#5 Nanite

Nanite

Nattering Nabob

• Members
  • 3592 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 01:01 PM

So heat them up to straighten bent bits?

Custom toys, art, and sundries here.

And a Twitter!

#6 Stubbdog

Stubbdog

Obssessive Over-Analyzer

• Bones Supporter
  • 6979 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 01:16 PM

Well, here is my conundrum.....

I love the fact that these are coming out! I love the fact that I hear "we have an ambitious roadmap"!

I just hope that it does not fall into the same trap as LE did. That of only releasing models that have already been available in metal for a long time.

But, I don't want Reaper to think that there is not interest just cause I cant see myself buying any from this particular grouping (I already have a bunch of each due to LE). I very much am interested and would buy just about anything that is in the Warlord game and is NEW.
  • Saurstalk likes this

#7 Baphomet69

Baphomet69

The Big Boner

• Bones Supporter
  • 2513 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 01:19 PM

Oooh...Warlord armies for $29.95... <cackle>
  • Saurstalk likes this
"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
John Stuart Mill
English economist & philosopher (1806 - 1873)

#8 Bumble_B

Bumble_B

Uber-Mensch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 01:22 PM

I honestly haven't looked hard enough at the level of detail on the LE, but hopefully its good. I honestly prefer plastic to all other types now just because of ease of cleaning and conversion. Bring it on Reaper and don't let up!
Vode An

#9 Dr.Bedlam

Dr.Bedlam

Godlike

• Members
  • 3635 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 01:24 PM

We have a very ambitious roadmap for future releases, although yes, the initial launch is from LE (to help keep costs down).

...this implies that future releases won't necessarily be from LE? And am I right in thinking these are made in the same place the LEs are? (that is to say, off-site from the Denton factory?)

"Actually, I DO look like my avatar..." tumblr_me9zrqN4dK1rao9jio1_400.jpg

Bringer of Gonturzaps

http://www.reapermin...040-gonturzaps/

#10 nytflyr

nytflyr

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 1386 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 01:26 PM

I'm going to guess.. made in China? ::(:

¤ª""˜¨¨¯¯¨¨˜""ª¤ª""˜¨¨¯¯¨¨˜""ª¤ª""˜¨¨¯¯¨¨˜""ª¤ª""˜¨¨¯¯¨¨˜""ª¤
Anything I paint that turns out better than tabletop is purely by accident!
Visit the Dirty 30s! - A sourcebook for Pulp RPGs... now with 10% More PULP!
Selling 30 years of gaming material, visit my eBay store!

Hirst Molds: 40, 45, 54, 55, 56, 60, 63, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 80, 84, 85, 86, 201, 203, 205, 235, 250, 260, 281, 282, 320, 321

#11 Baphomet69

Baphomet69

The Big Boner

• Bones Supporter
  • 2513 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 01:28 PM

I honestly haven't looked hard enough at the level of detail on the LE, but hopefully its good. I honestly prefer plastic to all other types now just because of ease of cleaning and conversion. Bring it on Reaper and don't let up!

I agree. I am a recent convert to Plastic Soldier for my 15mm armor - weight difference and level of detail are fantastic (not to mention Battlefront is becoming a mini-GW, IMHO). Now I can do the same thing with 25-28mm fantasy? Stellar!
"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
John Stuart Mill
English economist & philosopher (1806 - 1873)

#12 Reaperbryan

Reaperbryan

Living Miniature

• Reaper Peeps
  • 9626 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 01:37 PM

...this implies that future releases won't necessarily be from LE? And am I right in thinking these are made in the same place the LEs are? (that is to say, off-site from the Denton factory?)

We will eventually release everything that is in LE into Bones, but there is a plan right now for a greater emphasis on Character figures/Painter figures for future Bones releases than LE had. That will include figures from WL/DHL that are not yet in LE, and new figures unique to Bones.

Yes, they are made in China.

Stubdog - we understand. We expect to be able to lure you in with future releases, though. Warlord armies at $1.99-2.99 a model... can you imagine????

We have been unable to notice any significant quality difference between the Bone version, the LE version, and the metal version of the same figures. Except that I can pick up a box of 500 Bones without hurting myself...
  • Saurstalk and Darryl like this

bryan@reapermini.com This post is 100% organic. No Artifical Spellcheck or Grammar Check was used in the manufacturing of this post. No Zombies were harmed in the making of this post.

#13 Stubbdog

Stubbdog

Obssessive Over-Analyzer

• Bones Supporter
  • 6979 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 01:44 PM

Like I said, I love the idea... and am very interested. The only question for me is whether the future releases will still be "old" sculpts relative to the metal counterparts. That was the biggest hit on the LE line for me. That is, every mini in the LE line were minis that were already available in metal for more than a year at the time they came out in LE.

#14 joshuaslater

joshuaslater

CareBear

• Bones Supporter
  • 6464 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 01:49 PM

"Plastics my boy. Plastics."
A miniature venture of mine: http://www.cauldronbornminiatures.com

#15 Reaperbryan

Reaperbryan

Living Miniature

• Reaper Peeps
  • 9626 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 02:02 PM

I'd like to point out that a few non-employees were given free samples a few weeks ago, and I'd love it if any of them would chime in with their experience re: ease of use, need to primer, and quality of sculpt.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users