173 replies to this topic

#136 haldir

haldir

I Don't Look Like My Avatar

• Bones Supporter
  • 12854 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 07:39 PM

LP

There was anther post regarding that GW paints need extra coverage over Bones. Must be something in the paint.

I know one time I was having problems covering Tamiya primered fig painted with Privateer Press paints. Just would slick on like there was no 'tooth' to the primer.
Posted Image Posted Image Oh what the hell-- Posted Image

ReaperCon goer since 2005!

"The Road Goes Ever On......

"Lop that mutt's nards off spike! " orcsoul

#137 Halberkill

Halberkill

Instigator

• Bones Supporter
  • 206 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 08:01 AM

I need to report that the primer experiment with my set was not a success. Testors Flat Black Enamel spraypaint (my preferred primer for plastic) stays tacky.

If you use enamel on anything that is polyvinyl, it will be tacky and never dry. Enamel is made for polystyrene so that it can bond with the plastic. Vinyl is a different chemical make up, so no bonding, as well the chemicals in vinyl to make it flexible keep enamels from drying.

#138 nortran

nortran

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 10:58 AM

LP

There was anther post regarding that GW paints need extra coverage over Bones. Must be something in the paint.

I know one time I was having problems covering Tamiya primered fig painted with Privateer Press paints. Just would slick on like there was no 'tooth' to the primer.

I was getting the same problem with GW paints over Bones. I have seen paint react similarly when there is too much mold release agent still on the surface.

Looks like I will need to buy some MSP

I am pretty excited about Bones. I picked up some kobolds and a Purple Worm and cave troll. They look great and are great for populating dungeons with monsters for not a lot of scratch. I like to make 3D terrain and playing a game in terrain with all your nicely painted character miniatures fighting little cardboard disks with pics of monsters on them was lame. Now I don't have to break the bank to replace those lame cardboard disks!
  • DixonGrfx likes this

#139 The Basilisk

The Basilisk

Enlightened

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 12:06 PM

Can anyone tell me how well Vallejo GAME paints work on bones?
Half of my color options are composed of those, the other being old reaper paints and some store brand acrylic paints under the title of Americana which I haven't put to use yet.

Get wrecked, Outlander. 

#140 MiniCannuck

MiniCannuck

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 1232 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 07:58 PM

I was a guinea pig for my FLGS and ordered all 12 of the bones mnis.

All I can say is wow! These models are an amazing deal and when I brought them out at game club, people were amazed at the quality. The only comparison modelwe had on hand was the ghost and they looked almost identical I can't wait to try painting them to see how it takes the paint.

#141 Halberkill

Halberkill

Instigator

• Bones Supporter
  • 206 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 08:13 AM

I was getting the same problem with GW paints over Bones. I have seen paint react similarly when there is too much mold release agent still on the surface.

I have no problem with GW paints on bones. How old are your paints? Did you wash off the mold release with soap and water, and then dry it off well? Are you thinning the paints too much? Vinyl is hydrophobic, so you shouldn't really thin the paints too much unless you already have the mini primered.

Halber

#142 bluethunder

bluethunder

Enlightened

• Black Lightning
  • PipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 10:52 AM

I have a few and will have them at the Reaper Paint and take I will be running at:

http://fopcon.com/

I personally think they look fantastic and I have showed them to the gaming vender who will also be at FOPCON and he in is also very impressed with the quality and the price. He is very excited about the product and will be getting them in ASAP. He hopes to have the complete line in time for FOPCON.

I also had a copy of Casket Works and showed him the upcoming release. He loves them both.

I cant wait to see how they are recieved at the con.

Edited by bluethunder, 14 April 2012 - 10:56 AM.

#143 JoeGKushner

JoeGKushner

Uber-Mensch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 08:30 PM

I finished the cave troll. I used Reaper's new paints from the Heavy Gear Blitz with no primer. Base coat was a little watery but a few layers cured that. Worked out nicely. I then finished off the gnoll. I used a vallejo green brown primer on it and Vallejo Game Colors and it too has come out nicely. I'll be testing out some Games Workshop paints next and maybe some Army Painter when I get my next order in, mixing primer and no primer to see what happens. I hope that we see a lot of the other figures coming out soon because the price point is fantastic and they look pretty solid when done up. Hell, I'd love to see some articles on subbing for Warlord, etc... with them.

#144 haldir

haldir

I Don't Look Like My Avatar

• Bones Supporter
  • 12854 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 10:03 PM

I'm happy to report that I "pimped out" Bones to a couple of gamers at the Boise Hobbytown last time I was over there. They had a couple of Paizo flip maps in their hands & were wanting minis. One guy was saying if they weren't so expensive & such. I told him to look for the Bones line. Hopefully they looked into the line.
Posted Image Posted Image Oh what the hell-- Posted Image

ReaperCon goer since 2005!

"The Road Goes Ever On......

"Lop that mutt's nards off spike! " orcsoul

#145 AngryMojo

AngryMojo

Mostly Harmless

• Bones Supporter
  • 27 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 08:19 PM

I went to my neighborhood FLGS today to put in another order and was informed that all their distributors had sold out. Here's hoping Bones is a smashing success.

Angrymojogames.com, gaming accessories and other monkey business.

#146 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Instigator

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 10:01 PM

I just finished painting my 77007 Ghost. Turned out fantastic. I used P3, Vallejo Game Colour, Reaper Master Series and some Coat D'Arms paints. All went onto the bare plastic better than they usually go onto a primed surface.

I just emailed me FLGS and asked them to bring me in one of each of the rest of the line.

#147 Reaperbryan

Reaperbryan

Living Miniature

• Reaper Peeps
  • 10310 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 08:25 AM

For those whose Distributors are reporting sold out - We're restocking most of our distributors today, with a whole herd of shipments that we prepared over the weekend as an emergency resupply.

Please do not forget to advise your FLGS that if they ever cannot get timely restock from a distributor that they may contact us (business at reapermini dot com or 940.484.6464) and we will either work directly with them or contact their distributor to see if a quick restock order can be arranged.

bryan@reapermini.com

This post is 100% organic. No Artifical Spellcheck or Grammar Check was used in the manufacturing of this post. No Zombies were harmed in the making of this post.

~His High Gameliness, the Most Reverend and Inscrutable, Space Pope Bryanzilla I

#148 Wizard Lee

Wizard Lee

Rabble Rouser

• Members
  • Pip
  • 53 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 06:36 PM

Half of my color options are composed of those, the other being old reaper paints and some store brand acrylic paints under the title of Americana which I haven't put to use yet.

Basilisk, I use only Vallejo game paints and they turned out beautifully. The Gnoll that is my avatar was painted solely with Vallejo and wasn't primed.

#149 AngryMojo

AngryMojo

Mostly Harmless

• Bones Supporter
  • 27 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 08:32 PM

For those whose Distributors are reporting sold out - We're restocking most of our distributors today, with a whole herd of shipments that we prepared over the weekend as an emergency resupply.

I don't think I've ever been this happy that a product sold out. I've picked up a whole passel of bones and I love every one of them. Here's hoping you make many, many more.

Angrymojogames.com, gaming accessories and other monkey business.

#150 TheAuldGrump

TheAuldGrump

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 1373 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 08:41 PM

Works fine for me - and I use Vallejo a lot, along with Reaper.

I have not had any problems with the Bones at all, the only one that I have primed is the mdified Purple Worm, and that was only because of the metal tentacles that I added.

I have not used GW paints in a while. so I cannot say how well those work.

The Auld Grump
Si Tibi Narraremus
Te Interficere Debemus

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users