• Please log in to reply
173 replies to this topic

#16 Froggy the Great

Froggy the Great

Apostrophe Ninja

• 17405 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 02:04 PM

That'd be me, I suppose.

They've passed the "intense interest from two 3y/o boys" test in terms of durability and reliability.

"Τὸ πλοῖόν μου τὸ μετεωριζόμενον ἐστι πλῆρες ἐγχελέων."   

Gallery of Froggyness -- The Worlds in my Head -- Wonderland No More

#17 joshuaslater

joshuaslater

CareBear

• Bones Supporter
  • 6546 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 02:21 PM

That'd be me, I suppose.

They've passed the "intense interest from two 3y/o boys" test in terms of durability and reliability.

Good review, that.
A miniature venture of mine: http://www.cauldronbornminiatures.com

#18 kit

kit

The fine line between stupid and clever

• Super Administrators
  • 10046 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 02:25 PM

I sent a batch of these out to a paint and take a few weeks ago. Turns out that they were very well received. No problems reported at all.

“If you asked people in 1989 what they needed to make their life better, it was unlikely that they would have said that a decentralized network of information nodes that are linked using hypertext.” - Sep Kamvar

#19 Lars Porsenna

Lars Porsenna

Godlike

• Members
  • 5588 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 02:26 PM

OK here is my big question: I just ordered a handful of these to try it out (Purple Worm for $2.99???) and while I understand you don't have to use primers on these, I prefer to use primers for various reasons. How will primers like Krylon and the like take on these? The old WotC D&D minis reacted badly to enamel based paints (because of the vinyl in them), but there are other types of materials out there (like the glue-together flexible plastic Tamiya uses on some of its models, or Dragon's DS plastic -- a flexible hybrid styrene). I'd be interested to hear how primers will react on these...

Damon.
-The Serial Crusher.
-Godlike since 9-09-04.
-My book blog: http://bookslikedust.blogspot.com/
-My Minis blog: http://minislikedust.blogspot.com/
-My thoughts on D&D 4e: Link
-"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"
-"Warhammer40000 is your Standard Sci Fi Setting injected with a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Starship Troopers and Star Wars, bathed in blood and turned up to eleventy billion (and then set on fire). Twice. With chainsaws." Quote

#20 Adrift

Adrift

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 2369 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 02:26 PM

I'm excited. I'm was planning to place an order in the next couple days, and here I am changing around the line-up to buy some of these and give them a try. I trust Reaper as a company, as compared to other plastic miniature makers, and am cautiously thrilled at the price point.

#21 Eilif

Eilif

Instigator

• Bones Supporter
  • 238 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 02:37 PM

Very pleased to see these. With the price of metals creeping up, It's been a while since there was a line of "impulse-buy-priced" unpainted miniatures.

I hope that FLGS's will get the message and start putting "Bones" displays near the registers. I'm a sci-fi painter mostly, but if there was a Bones display near the cashier at my FLGS, I'd be hard pressed to not grab a pack of Kobolds.

Reaper,
Start getting some Chronoscope figs in this material/price-point and watch me give you my money.
Chicago Skirmish Wargames Club
http://chicagoskirmish.blogspot.com/

#22 Reaperbryan

Reaperbryan

Living Miniature

• Reaper Peeps
  • 10297 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 02:38 PM

OK here is my big question: I just ordered a handful of these to try it out (Purple Worm for $2.99???) and while I understand you don't have to use primers on these, I prefer to use primers for various reasons. How will primers like Krylon and the like take on these? The old WotC D&D minis reacted badly to enamel based paints (because of the vinyl in them), but there are other types of materials out there (like the glue-together flexible plastic Tamiya uses on some of its models, or Dragon's DS plastic -- a flexible hybrid styrene). I'd be interested to hear how primers will react on these...

Damon.

I don't know, to be 100% honest. We tried Testor's spray primer and Testor's Dullcote, we tried Tamiya FIne Primer, and we tried our own MSP offerings. We tried Zap-a-Gap Superglue. Nothing we tried damaged the product. Although, again, we had 100% success painting without primer. In fact, if you come to PAX East in one month, we will have Bones at our Paint and Take to try - and none of the offerings there will be primed.

I don't have, and didn't try as a result, any enamels or enamel based primers, or much else. I would be interested to know if you find anything that damages the product, mostly so we can warn consumers away from those items. But also, Lars, try without primer, too. Saving yourself a step might be worth it.

bryan@reapermini.com

This post is 100% organic. No Artifical Spellcheck or Grammar Check was used in the manufacturing of this post. No Zombies were harmed in the making of this post.

~His High Gameliness, the Most Reverend and Inscrutable, Space Pope Bryanzilla I

#23 Lars Porsenna

Lars Porsenna

Godlike

• Members
  • 5588 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 02:56 PM

I don't know, to be 100% honest. We tried Testor's spray primer and Testor's Dullcote, we tried Tamiya FIne Primer, and we tried our own MSP offerings. We tried Zap-a-Gap Superglue. Nothing we tried damaged the product. Although, again, we had 100% success painting without primer. In fact, if you come to PAX East in one month, we will have Bones at our Paint and Take to try - and none of the offerings there will be primed.

Pretty sure Testors non-clearcoats are all enamel based, so that's a win (I like to prime plastics using simple testors flat black...even though you say there are advantages to not priming, there are advantages to priming nonetheless...). IIRC Tamiya is a lacquer base, and I'm mostly sure that Dullcote is as well. Sounds like Krylon and Wal-mart valu-cheapo flat white will work out fine...

I picked up something like 5 models to try them out (cause they're cheap!) so I'll likely try a few different techniques, including no-primer.

Damon.
-The Serial Crusher.
-Godlike since 9-09-04.
-My book blog: http://bookslikedust.blogspot.com/
-My Minis blog: http://minislikedust.blogspot.com/
-My thoughts on D&D 4e: Link
-"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"
-"Warhammer40000 is your Standard Sci Fi Setting injected with a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Starship Troopers and Star Wars, bathed in blood and turned up to eleventy billion (and then set on fire). Twice. With chainsaws." Quote

#24 ZabbyMonky

ZabbyMonky

Rabble Rouser

• Members
  • Pip
  • 57 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 02:58 PM

I find it a little ironic that the first mini 'monsters' I painted last month are among the 12 plastics that just came out: Ben Stein's kodbolds and Bob Olley's orc spearmen. I might be interested in getting the Bones version soon to see how they compare to the originals...

#25 Jeneki

Jeneki

Uber-Mensch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 03:18 PM

OMG Kobolds! OMGOMGOMGOMG!

So, a couple years ago I started a kobold army, for a set of homebrew rules the local group plays. I picked up a couple hundred over the next few months, then realized I would need a couple hundred more to really capture the feel of a kobold horde. At this point I gave up on a 'pure horde' feel and mixed in other stuff to complete the army.

But no more! I'll definitely grab a ton of these.
  • Krztoff likes this

Hands are for signing surrender forms, not giant death-robot gun platforms of doom!

o-ik_upside.gif-o

#26 wildbill

wildbill

Tulsa Warlord Gawd

• T-Town Crew
  • 3173 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 03:23 PM

Reaper,
Start getting some Chronoscope figs in this material/price-point and watch me give you my money.

I will second this remark!

"Chuck Norris and Mr. T walked into a bar. The bar was instantly destroyed, as that level of awesome cannot be contained in one building."

My Indian name is "Runs With Beer".

#27 ZabbyMonky

ZabbyMonky

Rabble Rouser

• Members
  • Pip
  • 57 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 03:24 PM

Speaking of kobolds, is it possible Ben Sien's other set of kobolds will come out in plastic too? http://www.reapermin.../sku-down/03064 Would be great to see some variety!

#28 Doug Sundseth

Doug Sundseth

Wizard of Wavicles

• Members
  • 4424 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 03:36 PM

... try without primer, too. Saving yourself a step might be worth it.

So how do I order the version in gray plastic? :unsure:

FWIW, and I know I'm not alone, I fairly strongly prefer not to paint on white for most of my work.

#29 Reaperbryan

Reaperbryan

Living Miniature

• Reaper Peeps
  • 10297 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 03:57 PM

Pretty sure Testors non-clearcoats are all enamel based, so that's a win (I like to prime plastics using simple testors flat black...even though you say there are advantages to not priming, there are advantages to priming nonetheless...). IIRC Tamiya is a lacquer base, and I'm mostly sure that Dullcote is as well. Sounds like Krylon and Wal-mart valu-cheapo flat white will work out fine... I picked up something like 5 models to try them out (cause they're cheap!) so I'll likely try a few different techniques, including no-primer. Damon.

UPDATE:
Shannon uses Krylon, and she says it works fine.

bryan@reapermini.com

This post is 100% organic. No Artifical Spellcheck or Grammar Check was used in the manufacturing of this post. No Zombies were harmed in the making of this post.

~His High Gameliness, the Most Reverend and Inscrutable, Space Pope Bryanzilla I

#30 DrShotgunMD

DrShotgunMD

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 03:59 PM

Already planning on ordering a whole fortress worth of Dwarves by Bob within a few days so i guess i should put a Bones model in. Looking forward to this being expanded.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users