173 replies to this topic

#31 Jeneki

Jeneki

Uber-Mensch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 04:10 PM

I'm assuming these are available now? Off to the local game store to place an order! ^_^

Speaking of kobolds, is it possible Ben Sien's other set of kobolds will come out in plastic too? http://www.reapermin.../sku-down/03064 Would be great to see some variety!

Yea, I've got a ton of those in metal as well. I'd grab ~30 more packs if it gets released at a similar price-per-model as the other Bones kobolds.

Hands are for signing surrender forms, not giant death-robot gun platforms of doom!

o-ik_upside.gif-o

#32 Gailbraithe

Gailbraithe

Enlightened

• Bones Supporter
  • 302 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 04:16 PM

6 Kobolds for 3.99? That's less than 75 cents per kobold! My god, at that price point, I can actually realistically field an entire tribe of kobolds!

Okay, you got me. I'll give them a try.
  • Adrift likes this

#33 Reaperbryan

Reaperbryan

Living Miniature

• Reaper Peeps
  • 10300 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 04:22 PM

I'm assuming these are available now? Off to the local game store to place an order! ^_^

They are available now. I cannot make guarantees as to the in-stock-ness of the product at any Distribution outlet.

bryan@reapermini.com

This post is 100% organic. No Artifical Spellcheck or Grammar Check was used in the manufacturing of this post. No Zombies were harmed in the making of this post.

~His High Gameliness, the Most Reverend and Inscrutable, Space Pope Bryanzilla I

#34 Reaper Ron

Reaper Ron

Fantasy Brand Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 05:26 PM

Next week we'll be previewing two brand new Bones polys. One by Werner Klocke, one by Bobby Jackson. Neither have seen the light of day in any Reaper product line before, so they are unique to Bones. And they're awesome.

There, chew on that for a while. :;):
  • haldir, Wren and Adrift like this

Reaper Ron

"Weasling out of work is important to learn; it's what separates humans from animals. Except for weasels." - Homer Simpson

#35 Adrift

Adrift

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 2369 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 05:35 PM

Yay for that news! I just placed an order for 3 metal, and 5 bones minis. :)

#36 Evilmonkey

Evilmonkey

Enlightened

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 05:38 PM

Those look like something I would consider buying if more become available that are for Warlord Armies

"A war without civility can lead only to massacres" Treize Khushrenada
"The greater the sacrifice, the more glorious the triumph" Franklin D Roosevelt
"Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum"

I do look like my avatar...

Wearer of the Infamous Pikachu Hat!

http://regimentalcolors.blogspot.com/

#37 TheDungeonDelver

TheDungeonDelver

Instigator

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 07:11 PM

I am guardedly optimistic about this. I don't know that I myself will actually buy m/any - I'm trying to get rid of my metal kobolds and goblins and orcs (and use the proceeds to buy up LE examples of same) just because while I'm rediscovering painting, painting tons of the same fig over and over is why I'm getting rid of my two 40+ fig armies ITFP! Although if nobody'll buy 'em...I'm stuck :P

Anyway, that aside, there are some big pieces I'd definitely buy.
The Delver's Dungeon has a new home! www.thedelversdungeon.com

#38 ixminis

ixminis

Paint-Lackey

• Artists
  • 3893 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 07:56 PM

Sorry - out all day - love that the announcement got made.

1. They don't need primer.
2. Same - heat in water and straighten parts capability as LE's.
3. The detail is super crisp... Think about it - pressurized "casting' process - what air bubbles?
4. It's not brittle resin, so it'll survive many a fall or toss!
5. Great pricing!
6. Light as, well, a plastic miniature!

What are you waiting for - come get some!

Yes, I've handled all of 'em and have a Templar I've played with.
  • Adrift likes this
MichaelG / IXMINIS (I-X-Minis)
Friends don't let friends paint drunk
http://www.tinywars.com

#39 Dr.Bedlam

Dr.Bedlam

Action Scientist

• Members
  • 4094 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 08:12 PM

Well, yeah. With proper injection molding, you're not going to get air bubbles or some of the problems you get with resin.

SOME plastics, particularly vinyl-based stuff, will react chemically with certain alcohol and petroleum based solvents. This means that you can prime and paint just fine, but the paint will never completely dry, will remain tacky for years on end, attract dust, dirt, and cat hair, and eventually disintegrate the surface detail of the model. A lot of WizKids and Fantasy Flight Games' minis are like this -- they need some savvy and some acrylic based lovin' to work properly.

I look forward to determining whether or not Bones qualifies in this area.

...I have to admit, a whole tribe of plastic kobolds does hold some appeal... I've never been wild about WOTC's reinvention of the kobold as a tiny lizard guy...
I don't look like Haldir's avatar, either

#40 JoeGKushner

JoeGKushner

Uber-Mensch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 08:32 PM

Very interesting. I thought resin might be the way to go but this appears to meet much of the initial criteria. In terms of Bones though, one of the other aspects of modern miniatures outside of price is detail. Too many belts, buckles, straps, studs, and other bits. Perhaps Reaper can use this as a 'starter' line as well?

#41 Furongian

Furongian

Enlightened

• Bones Supporter
  • 266 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 09:22 PM

The prices are simply jaw-dropping. I haven't been able to buy miniatures for prices like these since the '80's. So, I've place my order. I had to go for the purple worm - I've wanted this for ages, but could never justify the price - as well as the Ghost and Ogre Chieftain. Now I can't to try them out.

#42 KayBee

KayBee

Rabble Rouser

• Members
  • Pip
  • 72 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 09:43 PM

Looks very cool. Can't wait until the range expands.
will paint crack on these mini's if it flexes. If it does any way to stop it?
Must get a purple worm and some trolls

#43 kit

kit

The fine line between stupid and clever

• Super Administrators
  • 10046 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 10:38 PM

When we painted up the gnoll with its flail there, we twisted that sucker all over the place and didn't notice any paint chipping off. This was with MSPs. Your milage may vary.
  • Adrift likes this

“If you asked people in 1989 what they needed to make their life better, it was unlikely that they would have said that a decentralized network of information nodes that are linked using hypertext.” - Sep Kamvar

#44 Schmapdi

Schmapdi

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 02:06 AM

Not content with already being far and away the best value among miniature companies, Reaper has to go and get stupid cheap on top of that!

Like I'm not collecting enough stuff already! Did no one think of that!

*sigh*

Seriously, love it, and can't wait to see it hopefully spread to all the ranges.

#45 Adrift

Adrift

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 2369 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 07:12 AM

...I have to admit, a whole tribe of plastic kobolds does hold some appeal... I've never been wild about WOTC's reinvention of the kobold as a tiny lizard guy...

I've never been satisfied with exactly what kobolds are, period. When I look at the artwork in my 1st edition Monster Manual they look like dog-faced lizard-body creatures. While that's how I'll always think of kobolds, the WOTC versions are clearly lizard-like. LONG LIVE THE DOG-FACE!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users