Photo

Tutorial: Stencils (if you don't want to free hand)

tutorial

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 MonkeySloth

MonkeySloth

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 5593 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 01:50 PM

This is kind of a short tutorial, as I really didn't take a lot of pictures but enough to get the point across, but I hope it's helpful to people.

I'm not someone who can draw so doing freehand is something that I can't really do that well. A few weeks ago I was working on a figure for Warmachine and decided I wanted to place a symbol on a cloak, that I knew I wouldn't be able to draw, and thought that maybe I could use decals.

WP_001589.jpg

I searched and found some decals for Cygnar and read how to use them and realized that it wasn't something worth the effort for me so I thought that maybe I could create a stencil using Vallejo Masking Medium as a glue.

Here's what I did:

1) I printed out the decals on regular paper
2) Found the size of the icon I wanted and cut it out with scissors, making sure to give myself plenty of room on the sides so the stencil won't break easy (you can trim this later)

WP_001630.jpg

3) using a sharp hobby knife cut out the center of the icon you want to use.

WP_001631.jpg

4) Slightly wet the stencil with water (this is important for the next two steps)
5) We're going to now paint on masking medium onto the paper. A few things with this step. Make sure it's a brush you don't care about, as you'll never get the stuff completely off, and it's better to daub the medium on so you won't tear the stencil.
6) now place the stencil where you want it and use something like a toothpick to push the stencil into folds and to fit the surface you want to paint. If you haven't done step 4 this really won't work as the paper won't want to stay deformed.

WP_001586.jpg

7) Paint
8) peal off.

WP_001588.jpg

A few things of note:

The masking medium I used, Vallejo, did not remove paint from my miniatures but I can't guarantee that all masking mediums will behave the same.

again, the medium will ruin your brush

take your time or you'll tear your stencil. That being said I was able to do this in under and hour.

Sorry I don't have photos for every step, I didn't take a brush and while I could easily get photos for the first few steps I didn't have time to cut out a new stencil.
  • parvusmachina, briggart, Last Knight and 2 others like this

@monkeysloth

New: Current Contest and Active Ribbon list | My Tutorial List and WIP Thread

I never thought I'd write this...but I agree with MonkeySloth on this one. ~ Adrift

#2 parvusmachina

parvusmachina

Rabble Rouser

• Members
  • Pip
  • 51 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 08:45 PM

Sweet! I've been too afraid of freehand (don't want to ruin a mini I've been working hours on). THIS is exactly what I was looking for. Where can I get some Vallejo masking solution?
==================================================================================

Stuff I am selling on eBay: http://www.ebay.com/...&_sop=12&_rdc=1
My Facebook page for miniatures: http://www.facebook.com/Parvusmachina
Follow me on Twitter! @keithkoene
Or just ignore me....your choice.
I have to warn you......I do my own stunts.

#3 MonkeySloth

MonkeySloth

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 5593 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 10:32 PM

Your local game store should be able to order some for you.

@monkeysloth

New: Current Contest and Active Ribbon list | My Tutorial List and WIP Thread

I never thought I'd write this...but I agree with MonkeySloth on this one. ~ Adrift

#4 Fitzeolas

Fitzeolas

Mostly Harmless

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 09:02 PM

I was just thinking how great this is if you want to do a lot of miniatures. You could easily go in on a stenciled design like this and then add some basic highlighting or shadowing or both to give it more depth. I think this would also give the appearance more similar to that of a freehanded design.
Very cool idea.

-Fitz

#5 Bruunwald

Bruunwald

Godlike

• Members
  • 1468 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 03:27 AM

Great idea and excellent execution!
  • Owlmabbitt likes this
CreepyTown Miniatures is now on Facebook!
www.creepytownminis.com

#6 klyons99

klyons99

Enlightened

• Bones Supporter
  • 429 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 08:55 AM

Agreed, thanks so much for the info!

#7 papabees

papabees

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 1942 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 12:49 PM

Can a Mod pin this?

* Note - Since most people learn best from their own mistakes, I try to make as many as possible, so hopefully I'll learn a lot quicker.

#8 psyberwolfe1

psyberwolfe1

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 2241 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 12:53 PM

Just add the link to the Tutorials pinned thread.

2014 Painting Goal: 6 Figures/ 36 Painted as of 01/22/2014

For other Wargame and miniature related stuff you can read my blog at http://tacticalrock.blogspot.com

Does anybody else find it odd, by the way, that the information age has led to language becoming an oblique and imprecise tool where even the most straightforward phrasing is pored over with chicken entrails and bone tossing to divine the true meaning?

... nobody remembers Slave Leia because, "Oh my gosh! What innovative use of bronze."

Meep.jpg

#9 Qwyksilver

Qwyksilver

Tubby Guinness Fairy

• 14877 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:47 AM

Just place a link in the tutorials database thread.

Sacrificing minions: is there any problem it CAN'T solve?

- Lord Xykon, OotS #192

Beowulf ll. 1538-1543
... Pay no heed to proud thoughts, famous champion. Now the flowering of your strength is but for a while. After a while, the time will suddenly come that disease or the sword's edge will cut off your power. Either fire's grasp or flood's surge or blade's bite or spear's flight. Or vicious age, or the flash of your eyes will gutter and burn out! It will be all at once, great campaigner, that death will overpower you.

It's terrifying!  Without enough caffeine your body undergoes these hours of partial paralysis and hallucinations! :shudder:

- Argentee

Black Lightning: MA010.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tutorial

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users