MonkeySloth

Tutorial: Stencils (if you don't want to free hand)

9 posts in this topic

This is kind of a short tutorial, as I really didn't take a lot of pictures but enough to get the point across, but I hope it's helpful to people.

I'm not someone who can draw so doing freehand is something that I can't really do that well. A few weeks ago I was working on a figure for Warmachine and decided I wanted to place a symbol on a cloak, that I knew I wouldn't be able to draw, and thought that maybe I could use decals.

post-6838-0-98806700-1331408515.jpg

I searched and found some decals for Cygnar and read how to use them and realized that it wasn't something worth the effort for me so I thought that maybe I could create a stencil using Vallejo Masking Medium as a glue.

Here's what I did:

1) I printed out the decals on regular paper

2) Found the size of the icon I wanted and cut it out with scissors, making sure to give myself plenty of room on the sides so the stencil won't break easy (you can trim this later)

post-6838-0-10478900-1331408629.jpg

3) using a sharp hobby knife cut out the center of the icon you want to use.

post-6838-0-21886800-1331408636.jpg

4) Slightly wet the stencil with water (this is important for the next two steps)

5) We're going to now paint on masking medium onto the paper. A few things with this step. Make sure it's a brush you don't care about, as you'll never get the stuff completely off, and it's better to daub the medium on so you won't tear the stencil.

6) now place the stencil where you want it and use something like a toothpick to push the stencil into folds and to fit the surface you want to paint. If you haven't done step 4 this really won't work as the paper won't want to stay deformed.

post-6838-0-66542700-1331408806.jpg

7) Paint

8) peal off.

post-6838-0-99398600-1331408813.jpg

A few things of note:

The masking medium I used, Vallejo, did not remove paint from my miniatures but I can't guarantee that all masking mediums will behave the same.

again, the medium will ruin your brush

take your time or you'll tear your stencil. That being said I was able to do this in under and hour.

Sorry I don't have photos for every step, I didn't take a brush and while I could easily get photos for the first few steps I didn't have time to cut out a new stencil.

6 people like this

Sweet! I've been too afraid of freehand (don't want to ruin a mini I've been working hours on). THIS is exactly what I was looking for. Where can I get some Vallejo masking solution?

I was just thinking how great this is if you want to do a lot of miniatures. You could easily go in on a stenciled design like this and then add some basic highlighting or shadowing or both to give it more depth. I think this would also give the appearance more similar to that of a freehanded design.

Very cool idea.

-Fitz

Just place a link in the tutorials database thread.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Ghool
      I'm going to try again here, and just leave a link to my channel.
      I have almost 100 videos at this point, and have covered a lot of stuff. Production is improving with each video. I'm a one man operation whom started filming about a year ago.
      So, you will realize very quickly that the newer videos are much clearer, more in-camera, and concise. Patrons are 3 weeks ahead of the regular release schedule.
      I release a new video every week.

Ghools' Channel

• By knarthex
      So people have been talking about airbrushing again, and since being on the hangout, I was wondering if anyone would be interested in a live tutorial?
      I did some research with the help of the First Lady Thing & and the Forum Mascot, and it seems that the noise levels of needed equipment is low enough to not bother my household, or overpower the audio of the hangouts. (I can airbrush inside due to my airbrush station...)
      If people were interested, I would try to schedule it for a Friday or Saturday night, around 9pm EST.
      I would start with the basics, this is an airbrush, these are the parts of an airbrush.
      This is how I mix paint
      How I spray the paint
      How I control the spray of paint
      HOW I CLEAN THE AIRBRUSH

Etc etc etc

I think that people might be less intimidated by airbrushes if they could see something done live, and be able to ask questions. ..

Disclaimer! I am NOT an expert, but would be more than willing to impart my meager knowledge...

Maybe some experts could show us things as well. ..

So chime in if you are interested!

George

Link for class, 7/1/2016:
      https://hangouts.google.com/hangouts/_/ldkk52klardgzouzdquzheyj7ye?hl=en&authuser=0

Class is over for 6/24/2016
      Class is over for 7/1/2016 People are still hanging out as of 11pm est.....   ***Wondering If anyone would be interested in my reprising this?***
    • By Peithetairos
      What could be a more essential wargaming terrain piece than the common hill? No matter what period, no matter what setting, hills will be featured. They add visual interest and tactical complexity to any gaming surface, may it be modular boards, gaming mats or just a green table-cloth.

They may be an essential piece of gaming terrain, but making naturalistic looking hills that not only allow easy placement of models, but also easy placement and removal of trees or other terrain features,  can be a challenge.

In this post I show you my take on such hills and try to solve some of the problems one may encounter by using the fantabulous power of magnets *gasp*! Obviously this tutorial can also be used for terrain boards.

Over hill and lofty mountain – how to make magnetised wargaming hills
    • By Gargs
      Anybody have any tips, or know of any good tutorials for painting gems?  I have a lot of figures with little gems on them and I'm just not sure how to get the gems to really stand out.  The small surface area of the gems in particular makes it difficult for me.  (Being a noob doesn't help, but figured a good tut might at least get me trying the right way!)  

As always, thanks in advance for any assistance!
    • By Teskal
      Bob in the role as Tim The Enchanter.

I saw parts of the movies, seeing Bob throwing fire around and knew I need a Fireball for him. :-)

Small Fireball Tutorial:
      01. Get a ~0,65mm needle and glue a small plastic bead on it. Some have balls at the end.
      02. For the fire around the needle and the ball I used a small hotgluegun trying not to get a to smoothed surface.
      03. After the hotglue was cold I tried with the hot a more uneaven surface on the hotglue, again.
      04. I drilled a 0,65mm hole in the hand. (better use a hand drilling tool, not a machine!)
      05. Bended the needle a little bit
      06. used 2-epoxy-glue to glue it in the hand
      07. to make it sure it does not change the position I put the fireball on something.
      08. painted it white
      09. painted it yellow
      10. painted it orange
      11. painted it red while orange is wet
      12. painted it black on the jet near the hand while orange and red are wet

• Who's Online   18 Members, 0 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)