5 replies to this topic

#1 Don Rodolfo Graziani

Don Rodolfo Graziani

Uber-Mensch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 03:57 PM

This was the rematch between Jason and I. Last game, the Gnomes rushed out of the depths to ambush a Reptus force. Angered, they crushed the Gnomes and pursued the stragglers into the tunnels. I'll try to report this to the best of my ability but, hopefully, Jason can jump in and help fix any errors (especially relating to his army build). I set up the table with terrain making a maze of twisting interconnected passageways with him deploying outside and myself in an inner chamber.

Gnomes
TROOP 1
Kordtok (Book of Tactics)
Kulgurk X2
Pulger X3
Hok X3
Tunnel Knight X3
Stone Zealot X3

TROOP 2
Naklak
Pulger X2
Hok X2
Tunnel Knight X2
Stone Zealot X3

TROOP 3
Naklak
Pulger X2
Hok X2
Tunnel Knight X2
Stone ZealotX3

TROOP 4
Naklak
Hok X6

TOTEM of BATTLE

Reptus
TROOP 1
Broodmaster (Troll Hide)
Ssudai
Pakpao
Couatl X5

TROOP 2
Ssathus
Tkay
Gaan Hor Warrior X4

TROOP 3
Chhaya
Gaan Hor Warrior X4

TROOP 4
Chhaya
Gaan Hor Warrior X4

TROOP 5
Chhaya
Gaan Hor Warrior X4

TURN 1
I deployed Troop 4 around my Totem of Battle (there to give my troops a boost). and Troop 2 was held out for later deployment. My main troop rushed to the center and blighted 2 Warriors. Troop 3 also moved to center. Jason swept one troop around each side to encircle me and threated the totem. His main troop followed the right side of the table, while another basic troop moved to center to hold me up. Ssathus stayed back to guard against my deployment behind him. I obliged by putting them on the right flank, nearest his warlord.

TURN 2
My main troop activated and threw the blood net on the side group protecting his warlord hitting 3 of 5 warriors and blocking the path (little did I think about the fact we'd agreed his flyers could now only hover in the tunnels). Troop 3 killed 3 warriors, while Troop 2 killed 2. His strikes took out 8 of my 9 zealots, 3 Pulgers, 4 Hoks, 1 Naklak, and 1 Tunnel Knight, losing only one more warrior and 2 couatls to defensive hits (his First Strikes really paid off here). His firestorm only killed one Hok and a Pulger.

TURN 3
Kordtok and a Tunnel Knight charged the warlord. Kordtok died but the Tunnel Knight put 2 wounds on the Broodmaster before dying. His fireball wiped out a wounded Naklak and a Hok. I took out a Chhaya but lost a Naklak and a Tunnel Knight to the rest of that unit. i would go on to lose 5 Hoks, 2 Pulgers and a Tunnel Knight, wounding Tkay and killing 2 Warriors.

TURN 4
Almost out of troops, I had my lone Naklak from Troop 4 do a regroup action and attack with his 2 remaining Hoks and 2 Tunnel Knights. I lost a Hok on the charge and a Tunnel Knight and only killed one Chhaya. His strikes killed everyone but the last Tunnel Knight. He just wouldn't die thanks to a pair of tough checks. In fact he killed two Warriors. At this point we called the game. I had the lone Tunnel Knight while he still had 6 Warriors, 2 Chhaya's, PakPao and Tkay (with no spell points left at all) and the wounded Broodmaster on DT3.

Emboldened by their success, the Reptus, even now, prepare to push deeper into the Gnomish tunnels. Will they push the Gnomes out of the region? Stay tuned.
There are things about me you wouldn't understand.....
things you....couldn't....understand......
things you....shouldn't......understand.....
I'm a loner, Dottie......a rebel!

Posted Image

#2 Castlebuilder

Castlebuilder

The Dungeon Builder

• Bones Supporter
  • 2030 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 11:58 PM

Nice battle report. It sounds like your corrupted smurfs really took a beating.
"I forgot about the gods and spun my own bright fate, while at the root of life the three spinners laughed." Bernard Cornwell, Lords of the North

#3 Don Rodolfo Graziani

Don Rodolfo Graziani

Uber-Mensch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 10:53 AM

We were massacred. ::o: Next game, Jason will be invading the central hive. He MUST be stopped.
There are things about me you wouldn't understand.....
things you....couldn't....understand......
things you....shouldn't......understand.....
I'm a loner, Dottie......a rebel!

Posted Image

#4 joshuaslater

joshuaslater

CareBear

• Bones Supporter
  • 6459 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 12:37 PM

Well written report.
A miniature venture of mine: http://www.cauldronbornminiatures.com

#5 JeffyBaby

JeffyBaby

Instigator

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 12:57 PM

Seems only fitting that eventually the Broodmaster should encounter the Herald or Kurand. Nice report, though it would have been nice to see either a picture or drawing layout of the terrain.

#6 Stubbdog

Stubbdog

Obssessive Over-Analyzer

• Bones Supporter
  • 6979 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 09:03 AM

Steve and I agreed that each battle of this little story would involve new lists, with the exception that I would involve the Broodmaster each time after he was provoked in the initial battle. I told Steve that since I was going to be invading his "subterranean home" with this battle he could set up the terrain and tunnels anyway he saw fit, as well as establish the deployment zones as it was his home. I admit I was fully expecting for him to have me entering in from the middle of the table and be surrounded on all sides having to turtle up against his hordes of minions, but Steve actually kept it fairly normal with standard deployment caverns at each end with lots of windy tunnels in between.

We also established before the set up that any of his burrowed models could indeed attack from burrowed as long as they came out of the wall enough to base me up. Again I expected to have more worms ramming me from all directions but that did not happen.

Lastly, we said that since the battle was taking place in the caverns that any flying model was relegated to hover instead, thinking that this would be fair.

Steve's list for me is a little off, but not by much:

Reptus - 998 points

Troop 1
Broodmaster, Dragon Rider
Troll Hide
Pakpao, Clutchling Caster
Couatl x 3

Troop 2
Somchai
T'Kay, Reptus Cleric
Gaan-Hor Warrior x 5

Troop 3
Chhaya
Gaan-Hor Warrior x 5

Troop 4
Chhaya
Gaan-Hor Warrior x 4

Troop 5
Chhaya
Gaan-Hor Warrior x 4

Obviously, the theme of the group is using first strike against the 1 track gnomes. With the Gaan-hor's low DV and the fact that the gnomes can horde it up pretty good, I wasn't sure how it would fair for me. I knew the first strike would help with about half his gnomes but I figured to get swarmed and really negate the first strike a lot. It turned out that I just chose a good time to try that theme out as he did not horde it up as much as usual, going with the totem instead. I thought Steve's list was an excellent list for anything that was not first strike heavy like mine. With his Battle totem and spiked, he was hitting everything when he got a swing. Just fortunately for me, his DV was as low as mine.

What really won the battle for me was the hovering. I was able to send enough stuff to negate his totem for a majority of the game.

That and Steve put both of his casters in the same troop. I didnt have to worry about back to back spells.

In the end, it was a great back and forth game thru the midway point of turn 3. Steve actually won initiative quite a bit on turn 3. I survived his charges with his lowly soldiers doing quite a bit of damage on the Broodmaster and then on my activations I got a lot of really cripplinging hits in to end turn 3. At that point he had to choose whether to attack my soldiers or do the suicide swarm of the broodmaster. He chose the broodmaster and then his fearsome and nauseating rolls failed him. He only got about half the guys in that he had intended to charge in. We traded a bit more and then we called the game as I had him down to 1.

Next game will see the Broodmaster leading his skullbreakers into the royal chamber of the gnomes....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users