FMLament

Work In Progress

18 posts in this topic

Here are a couple of WIP shots of a miniature I'm working on now. Can anyone guess who or what it is?

Update: Here are some updated photos of the progress with this piece. Enjoy...

post-7459-0-07248400-1331443174_thumb.jpg

post-7459-0-35772300-1331443175.jpg

post-7459-0-51398000-1331443176.jpg

post-7459-0-63218300-1331443177.jpg

post-7459-0-90820800-1332151154_thumb.jpg

post-7459-0-70013400-1332151156_thumb.jpg

post-7459-0-49690100-1332151158_thumb.jpg

post-7459-0-29795400-1332151160_thumb.jpg

post-7459-0-65093500-1332151161_thumb.jpg

Guy with really thin knees? :devil:

I'm guessing Conan or some other such barbarian.

But really, you might want to give the knees a second look as they need a bit more work.

You much have gotten your color shapers, as you've achieved a really nice smooth finish on his skin. The pose and long body style remind me a lot of some of the illustrations from 1e D&D.

Andy

@TaleSpinner Not a bad guess. Not Conan, but I suppose the term barbarian could technically apply. Thanks for the comments about the blending, I figured out what was causing the yellow chunks in my earlier pieces and have managed to find a way to avoid them for the most part. As for the knees, I've gone back since these were taken and finished the lower half of the body, hopefully fixing the proportion issues. Thanks for commenting.

@Runestone_Cowboy No, not John Carter. Closer genre though. Thanks for guessing...

That one guy from the DC Comics. He has a white pointed goatee & a winged helmet.

That one guy from the DC Comics. He has a white pointed goatee & a winged helmet.

Thor Arrow?

@haldir Nope, not originally a comic character but did make several cross appearences here and there.

@mjacobson Nope, thanks for the guesses though ;)...

Guy with really thin knees? :devil:

I'm guessing Conan or some other such barbarian.

But really, you might want to give the knees a second look as they need a bit more work.

You much have gotten your color shapers, as you've achieved a really nice smooth finish on his skin. The pose and long body style remind me a lot of some of the illustrations from 1e D&D.

Andy

I misread your post, let me say that yes I did get my shapers and they have made incredible difference in smoothing and in adding additions without harsh lines. Thanks and sorry for misreading...

I know who he is...

El Diablo cazador trofeo de los hombres!

How's that for an obscure reference? :devil:

@evhorne969 exactly right, and a great way to identify him while still leaving him unknown to some. My hat off to you sir. Thanks for commenting...

I know! (because you told me...)

Good smoothness.

Elbows and knees (especially when bent and tensed) give a lot of sculptors problems. Use reference, and remember that these joints aren't just hinges -- there are a lot of tendons and muscles connecting the upper & lower arms/legs.

My anatomy pet-peeve is pectoral muscles that are sculpted the same no matter what position the arms are in, but it looks like you got those right for the raised arms. Nice work.

You seem to have run out of wire for the hands! Sometimes it is better to make the arm-wire longer than you need, because you can easily cut off the excess, but it's harder to add. It is also often useful to mash the end of the wire into a paddle-like "palm" shape, since the hand usually isn't as thick as the original round wire is.

Keep it up --

Derek

@dks Yep, you were in the know on this one. Thank you for the compliments, I'm really glad I did get the color shapers. They have made a huge difference. I spent a good amount of time referencing how the muscles should look and I'm happy that it seems to have paid off. As for the wire on the hands, I'll have to remember that for next time. I've been adding the hands in separately, especially if the figure is holding something like a weapon. For my Jedi miniature I sculpted the hands on the saber and then connected them to the arms once they were cured. I had planned to do the same with this piece, in fact I sculpted his left hand on a separate weapon. I'll add that piece in with the next round of WIP images sometime this week.

Thanks again for the comments :)...

I've been wanting to give sculpting another shot, but need to invest in some green stuff and armatures. :P

IT has been really fun for me, it is well worth it. And the green stuff is only $8. You can easily get at least four or five minies out of that if you aren't too conservative about your mixing. Give it a go :) ...

IT has been really fun for me, it is well worth it. And the green stuff is only $8. You can easily get at least four or five minies out of that if you aren't too conservative about your mixing. Give it a go :) ...

okay. The guy that made those stupid tutorials was using some ridiculously expensive crap then. :P Thanks. ;)