• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 MonkeySloth

MonkeySloth

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 5741 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 12:37 PM

I posted this guy in show off yesterday but I'd like to clean up some of the glow from the flames before I seal it. I was wanting to to more of a yellowish glow but decided that would work well with the yellow insignia on the flag so I'm only using yellow where it's more intense and keeping the rest to orange.

Any suggestions?

WP_001665.jpg

@monkeysloth

New: Current Contest and Active Ribbon list | My Tutorial List and WIP Thread

I never thought I'd write this...but I agree with MonkeySloth on this one. ~ Adrift

#2 Captain jOE

Captain jOE

Rabble Rouser

• Members
  • Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 01:49 PM

Ok, I am by no means an OSL master, but here is my 2 cents worth of advice.

I think the first problem here is that the effect is not pulled off convincingly enough. What I mean by that is areas directly around the flame should be intensly lit. Like the cobblesontes right around the lower patch of fire. Also, the areas lit need to be more purely orange and yellow, they still look like there is too much blue showing around the flames as well as under the OSL you have done.

As far as the yellow symbol is conerned. I'm a bit stumped. You could try outlining it with black, and then glazing orange as far as you want the glow of the fire to be. The reason you would outline with black, is to keep the distinct shape while still allowing you to make a more intense glow effect.

I hope that made sense. Basically, make sure that all of the areas near to the flame, that it has "line of sight to" (pretty much the way you paint OSL) have a more pure and intense glow (but not more so than the flame). And you could try what I suggested with the emblem, but I have no idea what to do with it. So you might want to get more than just my opinion on that.

Otherwise, fantastic work on the mini! I really like the symbols and the pearl colored armor.

EDIT: also check this three part series out. Ron does an amazing job of explaining this topic. http://fromthewarp.b...-powerfist.html
  • MonkeySloth likes this

#3 MonkeySloth

MonkeySloth

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 5741 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 03:35 PM

Thanks. Sometimes when you're working on something you know it's not right and you can't place your finger on it, In this instance it was not doing any of the stone.

I've tried to also intensify the flames and make it more yellow with a hit of orange. I also brought the OSL up to the bottom of the mechanical hand, though it's kind of faint and not really noticeable unless you're looking at a lower angle.

WP_001737.jpg
WP_001735.jpg

@monkeysloth

I never thought I'd write this...but I agree with MonkeySloth on this one. ~ Adrift

#4 Captain jOE

Captain jOE

Rabble Rouser

• Members
  • Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 04:19 PM

Much better. I like it a lot. ::D:

#5 Kuro Cleanbrush

Kuro Cleanbrush

Greater Butter Elemental

• Bones Supporter
  • 1013 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 06:45 PM

Making the OSL effects reach up to the lower portion of your figure really worked great! He looks awesome! Also, I just have to say that I really like the almost pearlescent look that you achieved with his white armor.
Posted Image
My Facebook Gallery

Proud member of Cash's Crew, Corporea's Corps, Pixel's Posse, and Mocha's Minions!

#6 MonkeySloth

MonkeySloth

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 5741 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 07:56 PM

I quite like the Pearl armor as well. It really clicked when I broke down the shades from 2 to 4 as I was able to blend it easier. I used white, black (to darken other pains) and then the reaper gray triad.

@monkeysloth

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users