Photo

What's going to happen to LE now that BONES is on the horizon?

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#31 Qwyksilver

Qwyksilver

Tubby Guinness Fairy

• 15013 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 07:37 AM

Don't you let Spike hear you calling her orcs... goblins... or she's liable to have yet head.

I think I can hear the knife being sharpen right now................... :huh:

I'm trying to figure out how she gets her knife sharpener to sound like a banjo.

Sacrificing minions: is there any problem it CAN'T solve?

- Lord Xykon, OotS #192

Beowulf ll. 1538-1543
... Pay no heed to proud thoughts, famous champion. Now the flowering of your strength is but for a while. After a while, the time will suddenly come that disease or the sword's edge will cut off your power. Either fire's grasp or flood's surge or blade's bite or spear's flight. Or vicious age, or the flash of your eyes will gutter and burn out! It will be all at once, great campaigner, that death will overpower you.

It's terrifying!  Without enough caffeine your body undergoes these hours of partial paralysis and hallucinations! :shudder:

- Argentee

Black Lightning: MA010.

#32 Brother Jim

Brother Jim

Uber-Mensch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 685 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 11:45 AM

Don't you let Spike hear you calling her orcs... goblins... or she's liable to have yet head.

I think I can hear the knife being sharpen right now................... :huh:

I'm trying to figure out how she gets her knife sharpener to sound like a banjo.

Skill and Dexterity.

#33 smokingwreckage

smokingwreckage

Gawdlike!!

• Bones Supporter
  • 11219 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 07:11 AM

Humanoid, Goblinoid, it's just how it is.

It's the perfect time to put on  your yellow boots and go meandering around the woods looking for...well stuff. In my experience looking for stuff is the best way to find it. -Loim

#34 Spike

Spike

Goddess of Cupcakes and Cute Orcs

• Black Lightning
  • 6961 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 04:51 PM

I was kind of wondering the same thing about LE now that Bones have come along. IMO they have a place in the market with people who just need a few minis and don't want to be bothered with buying paints....but they're not really a bargain for the more serious mini gamers now that Bones have entered the arena. The money saved on even a few Bones affords you a few pots of paint OR enough extra money to pay somebody to speed-paint them for you.

Best of all, they don't contain any lead, and they don't bend or break if dropped. AND they don't weigh a lot. Having lugged an orc army all over ReaperCon 3 years ago looking for an opponent, I can truly appreciate the value of a plastic army.

PS I prefer to think of goblins as a part of the Orcazoid species.

linkmeg.gif
Aio, quantitas magna caseus est!

http://28mmtheatre.blogspot.com/

#35 David Goodner

David Goodner

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 09:25 AM

I think there's still quite a big place for LE minis. In fact, I will probably be buying some more myself in the future. The LE paints are better than any of the D&D minis I can pick up cheap on the secondary market, and still inexpensive enough that I don't feel like I'm wasting too much money feeding my little dude habit.

If I was doing minis gaming, where the presentation of your army is so important, they wouldn't be useful to me at all, but I'm a table-top roleplayer. For minis, I'm looking for two things.

My PCs: I want a nice, table-quality mini. I'll buy metal, most likely. I've painted a few Bones now and I like the way paint goes on metal better if I'm worried about detail. Similarly, if I had a major NPC who would show up a lot in a campaign I was running, I'd probably do a figure for him. (Only then my players would kill him just to spite me...)

Generic spare PCs: I'm in the Bones Kickstarter at the Vampire level. I doubt I'll need to buy one for years. :) But for them something I paint is okay if I'm in the mood to paint, or a pre-painted will do. It's usually just temporary or something I'm bringing to a con or whatever. Simplicity and cost are more important than appearance.

Monsters: All I want is something easily recognizable and fairly representative. There's no way I could afford to buy, say, ten hobgoblins with exactly the weapons my stat block says they have. If I have ten painted orks, they'll do. If I have ten painted hobgoblins, that's awesome. If I have ten blank counters with "Hbg Strkr" or whatever written on them, that's okay. But painted minis look nicer and are a little more fun.

And since I don't have the time or inclination to paint ten hobgoblins for one adventure, then ten gnols for the next one, then ten deathknights for another one and so on, prepainted minis hit a sweet spot for price, appearance, and convenience for me.

Pre-painted minis seem really aimed at gamers with needs similar to mine. If you're only going to use a given figure a few times, it's not worth as much investment as if you're going to use it over and over again at every game.

David G.

#36 smokingwreckage

smokingwreckage

Gawdlike!!

• Bones Supporter
  • 11219 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 06:06 AM

"Suddenly you are attacked by two lizardmen, a skeleton, and a giant rat! Again!"
"So I just rolled on the random encounter table, and guess what? You stumble upon the encampment of two lizardmen, a skeleton, and a giant rat!"
"Tremble, mortals, for in this, the deepest room of the deepest dungeon, you encounter Slith and Sloth, the lizardman lords, Grand High Wellington The Skellington, and uh..... a giant rat!"
  • vejlin, Arbiter10, morari and 2 others like this

It's the perfect time to put on  your yellow boots and go meandering around the woods looking for...well stuff. In my experience looking for stuff is the best way to find it. -Loim

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users