• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 maxstyles

maxstyles

Instigator

• Bones Supporter
  • 127 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 02:58 PM

So I was painting some figs last night and singing the praises of Nightshade Purple -- so dark, so rich, so cool... mmmmmm -- sorry distracted myself there -- I started wondering do others have colors that they just loved or hated to use for painting either because of the pigment, the shade, the difficulty of making it look good, consistency or whatever.

For me it goes like this:

LOVE!!!!!!
Nightshade Purple (did I mention this already?) -- its wonderful shading or just adding depth to darker colors.
Carnage Red -- because I love red and it seems very forgiving for a red. Its a wonderful mid tone which I can move up or down with.
Volcano Brown -- works on its own or mixed with a little... (you guessed it) nightshade purple to darken it.

HATE!!!!!!
white and off white - because its difficult ot make them look good. One of these days I going to force myself to paint several miniatures with white theme in hopes of getting past this block. In the mean time, I'll just put it on my hated list.

Anyone else have an opinion?

Um?  Wait!  What?!?!?!

http://www.maxstylespainting.com/

#2 warhorseminis

warhorseminis

Rabble Rouser

• Members
  • Pip
  • 70 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 09:18 PM

Love: blue - blue - blue any sort of blue. I've always had good luck with it.

Right now on my hate list is black. Usually it doesn't give me a problem but recently it thinks its Spartacus or something and running a rebellion. ;)

Posted Image

Karrie Balwochus

aka Kathryn Loch

#3 Inarah

Inarah

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 4281 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 09:59 PM

Loved the Walnut Brown pro paint, it covered well and looks good anywhere. Also there was a soft creamy light green with a hint of lemon that came as a test color that was SO nice. And Wicked Purple lived up to it's name, at least the one time I got to use it before the pot dried up.

Agree with you on the whites, I can't make that color look good either, no matter what I do with it.
~It's not broken.... it's a conversion. ~

"I got my brother and his six year old hooked last week. They were soon back at the friendly local for more. Starts with a cute lil unicorn, next thing you're onto griffins and purple worms." ~ Carnacki the Ghost Finder

#4 Hot Lead

Hot Lead

Enlightened

• Artists
  • 252 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 01:24 PM

Polly-S Carrion Crawler Green - if you need to paint radioactive effects this is the one you use! (I still have a bottle that works, but switched to RMS Moth Green, which is extremely close and a much smoother paint. Polly-S tended to be chalky.)

Ral Partha Royal Red Silk. Best red paint I ever used - period. Lusciously bright, arterial red with purplish aftertones. Adikolor Martyr Red is the only paint that ever replicated the same color for me.

RMS Ashen Blue - my go-to color for NMM steel. Anytime I need a cool blue I reach for this.

RMS Blackened Brown is an awesome dark off-black - great for outlining or mixing up shadow colors, etc.

RMS Bone triad - wonderful for off-white linens and adding some neutral touches to other paints.

RMS Dusky Skin triad - a great triad for creating neutralized purple areas.

Take care,
Laszlo

hot_lead_forum_sig.jpg

#5 72moonglum

72moonglum

Godlike

• Members
  • 1128 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 01:49 PM

I can't say there are paints I absolutely hate, even though there are some I have coverage issues with, but the paint I most love is walnut brown. Good liner and I eventually arrive to it once I'm almost done shading. Unless I'm painting black I hardly even use black any more to darken colors.

a little gallery of my old and new painted miniatures found at:  www.miniatures-workshop.com/lostminiswiki/index.php?title=User:Antautunut

#6 Da Matt

Da Matt

Rabble Rouser

• Members
  • Pip
  • 54 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 07:45 AM

HATE!!!!!!
white and off white - because its difficult ot make them look good. One of these days I going to force myself to paint several miniatures with white theme in hopes of getting past this block. In the mean time, I'll just put it on my hated list.

I've started calling this priming as its the only time my whites are white.

I really like the deep greens and blues.

#7 Loim

Loim

Sir Stupidly Special

• Bones Supporter
  • 2845 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 08:49 AM

Walnut Brown RMS is the greatest paint color ever devised by mankind. Seriously.

En Taro Tassadar, Executor. - Artanis

In the house of upside down

Cellar's top floor, attic's ground

Laughing cries, and smiles frown

Found is lost, and lost is found

SHAZAM! 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users