Oriental skin tones

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 djvic@verizon.net

djvic@verizon.net

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 11:43 AM

I am in the process of starting an oriental based game world. Since this is my first effort along these lines, can anyone give me some advice or suggestions on what paints to use for oriental skin tones? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

#2 Loim

Loim

Sir Stupidly Special

• Bones Supporter
  • 2471 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 02:19 PM

DKS did a fantastic paint up of the Ameiko Kaijitsu figure. You might use power palette and follow his lead. He's also really good about giving information and advice.

http://tinyurl.com/89cpeu8

Also, I'm sure many of the other talented painters on here have suggestions.

En Taro Tassadar, Executor. - Artanis

In the house of upside down

Cellar's top floor, attic's ground

Laughing cries, and smiles frown

Found is lost, and lost is found

#3 dks

dks

Godlike

• Artists
  • 1036 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 11:27 AM

Thanks, @Loim.
In general, @djvic, use colors that have more yellow and less red. The Golden Skin triad (Reaper Master series) is perfect as a starting point. If you want to add variety to your skin tones (like real-world East Asian people), you can put in a dash of yellow, orange, brown, or even green. With the Ameiko Kaijitsu figure, as I mentioned in my Forum thread, I exaggerated the yellow component of the skin and used Palomino Gold as the midtone instead of a more subdued Golden Skin. Her red armor probably would have made Golden Skin look drab or greenish by comparison.
You can also do a web-search for photographs of real people from Japan, China, Korea, Mongolia, etc. -- and match their colors with paint. Use the Power Palette, or print out the photo and paint right over it (fine-tuning your paint colors until they match the colors on the printout).
Good luck!
Post pics in the Show-Off forum as you paint these figures.
Derek

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users