mustardgreens

Painting a white horse

6 posts in this topic

Hey all,

I bought a few 25mm horses and mules from megaminis to practise painting animals before moving on to my more expensive models.

I painted a brown horse pretty effectively, but I'm really uncomfortable with painting the white horse. I've used an off-white base and will be using a lighter shade for the highlights, but I'm not sure about what colour to shade it with? Grey? Brown? I tried shading with a light brown and it's coming out almost orange.

I don't have a camera capable of photographing minis, but any advice is appreciated.

I would try black or grey for shading if your brown is too orange. Or maybe try blending a dot of black into a drop of brown to see if that helps.

Look at pictures of white horses on the internet. See if you can identify shadow colors. Try plugging pictures into the color finder thingie Reaper has.

I would avoid any dark colors to shade the white with. White is a subtle color, esp. on a horse. A white horse will only appear shaded starkly in harsh sunlight, and even then a midtone grey at best:

White_Horse_15544.jpg

Pick an off-white linen or leather color for the shade instead.

white-horse.jpg

I recommend the Bone Triad. Aged Bone is a nice warm shading color for white, while Bone Shadow is good for the darkest underside and deepest muscle definitions. (Like the horse's chest in the pic above.) Alternately the Khaki triad works well, but will impart a warmer color to the skin.

1 person likes this

That being said, a true white has pink skin and a grey horse that looks white is, well, grey. However, the bone triad is VERY pleasing and enables harmony with the typical yellowish main and tail coloration one sees.

So I took the long route to say - listen to Laszlo!!!

I agree with Laszlo on using Aged Bone. Bone Shadow might be too warm/brown of a shadow color for my taste, though; I would use a cooler color such as Stone Grey, or mix some Shadowed Stone with the Aged Bone to get a color close to Stone Grey.

Adding a hint of those pink skin tones at the muzzle and ears will be subtle touches, but they'll also help.

Good luck!

Derek

It all depends on the type of gray you're going for. I've shaded "white" gray horses with gray just fine but I've also used lighter bluish grays as well. The closer the skin is to the surface, like around the eyes and muzzle, generally the darker it will be.

There are so many different types of grays that many colors will work.

Dapple grays...

post-7491-0-73798200-1333219624.jpg

Dapple grays that have faded almost completely as they get older. General Lee's horse was a famous one.

post-7491-0-82247400-1333219782_thumb.jpg

There are rose grays - basically a chestnut horse graying out.

post-7491-0-55846700-1333219642.jpg

A mixture of both...

post-7491-0-60508900-1333219652.jpg

And your completely white gray.

post-7491-0-05509800-1333219675_thumb.jpg

post-7491-0-70921300-1333219866.jpg

post-7491-0-69816400-1333219896.jpg

post-7491-0-68580700-1333219908.jpg

You can have a whole lot of fun with a gray horse.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Jasper_the_2nd
      Whew, wasn't sure I was going to get this done in time for my August RPChallenge.
      After doing a bunch of Sci-Fi BSRs I had a craving for something a little more old timey. I've had a box of vehicles for Empire of the Dead sitting there since the kickstarter, so though now was the time to try one.  Having never painted a carriage before, or painted a horse before (unless you count mutated goblin steads, I did do a unit of Ugu's Cavalry for Clan War once)  I went with the "easiest" one, with only 2 wheels and one horse.

Now when I started I knew there was a driver, but I didn't realize there were passengers in the carriage when I was estimating how long it would take....

Anyway, it turned out better than I expected, and final assembly wasn't quite the nightmare I was worrying it would be.
      So I'm happy.

WIP here.
    • By Komplex
      From my drop in on London, I also bought a unicorn. Hell yeah.
      I decided to do a classical pretty unicorn paint, and I had all these grand ideas of soft blue hued whites and stuff... And it all went horribly wrong because I drybrush a lot and am less than amazing at blends. Partly white blends. I actually ended up just outright covering up all the Vallejo paint on here (on the mane, tail, and legs) and just going to town instead with my usual GW paints, and then tried out my new Soulstone blue over all that. I was pleasantly surprised.

I ended up putting in loads of shade on him which I then tried to drybrush back out, but didn't get the gradual change I wanted overall. He's very tabletop, but... To be honest, girly stuff isn't my thing, haha. I like monsters way more. Perhaps I'll buy another and then try and paint that one as the evil twin =P

So yeah... Unicorn!
      My photos are grossly inconsistent atm :S

Paints used...
      Citadel:
      -Whie Scar
      -Fenrisian Grey
      -Drakenhof Nightshade 
      -Ulthuan Grey
      -Soulstone Blue
      -Gehenna's Gold
      -Auric Armor Gold
      -Abaddon Black
      -Pink Terror
      -Seraphim Sepia 
      -Temple Guard Blue

And some Vallejo Sky Blue. Urk.

• By Rastl
      I like painting horses. Which is good since I've got a LOT of cavalry and centaurs in the 'to be painted' piles.  Here's the back and the front pictures are linked for nudity.  FYI - that kind of coloring is called a morgan bay.

Side front view
      Front view

• By LittleBluberry
      So a while ago I painted Trista as a paladin with a warhammer I took from Halbarand the cleric. http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/51436-trista-conversion-wip/?hl=trista

It was my first conversion, and she's seen a lot of game time. Now that she's a 5th level paladin, I wanted to make a mounted version of her. Back during the Bones 2 Kickstarter there was a suggestion from multiple people to just take one of the mounted Bones, cut them off at the waist and glue the top half of the mini you wanted a mounted version of.  Since Sir Danel from Bones 2 had some <ahem> issues with his top half, I figured it was the perfect candidate. 

There are a few challenges with this project that I can spot so far.  First off, Trista has a very narrow waist.  Her belt is also at a bit of an angle, which will complicate things.  At this point I think I might have to partially re-sculpt the belt to cover the seam where the surgery occurred. 

I'm actually thinking I'll start from the bottom up and get the horse painted first.  I'd love a few opinions on what to do with the basing and whether or not the extra bit by the rear hoof needs to stay there for support.  Currently the base is bent and Sir Danel won't stand, so obviously I need to at the very least heat-treat the horse.  I've got a black plastic cavalry base, plus round bases in many sizes. I'm conflicted as to whether I want to make an epic looking base that fills most of a 2" area (for gaming purposes) or if I want to go with the cavalry base for a little stability and easier storage. I'd also like to up my basing game a bit, so all suggestions will be considered as long as they fit with a jungle locale.

Since this is Bones, and for gaming, I'm not going to go crazy with a high quality display level paint job (which I probably couldn't pull off anyway) and I'll be aiming for higher tabletop quality. Saves my sanity.

• By zoroaster100
      I painted this Games Workshop Hurricanum a couple of months ago and the orrery that goes with it separately, but I had not gotten around to posting the Hurricanum on Show Off because I was waiting until I finished painting all the miniatures that go with it.  Since that is taking a bit longer to get to as I've been painting other stuff, I figured I can at least post this now.  I also painted this medieval cart from Fenryll recently. I was inspired to paint both of these in order to populate the town streets I hope to build when I get my Dwarven Forge City Builder Kickstarter stuff in January.

• Who's Online   14 Members, 4 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)