• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#46 ObsidianCrane

ObsidianCrane

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 3004 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 07:07 AM

I think I'm going back to no primer for my Bones minis.
Daily Encounter - Dungeons and Dragons 4E content for players and DMs.
Me in Reaper's Inspiration Gallery

#47 CashWiley

CashWiley

Great Old One (With Bow)

• 7526 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 08:29 AM

The problem I have with not priming is that it won't take a wash and I like to start from a wash.
  • Leopardpixie likes this
The Wily Brush: Man vs Paint
Project Index
Proud member of Corporea's Corps, Mocha's Minions and Pixel's Posse
Former member of the CashWiley Fan Club
Posted Image

#48 Argentee

Argentee

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 1372 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 08:31 AM

The problem I have with not priming is that it won't take a wash and I like to start from a wash.

Maybe try painting it with True White then doing the wash?
  • CashWiley likes this

"They'll sell you thousands of greens. Veronese green and emerald green and cadmium green and any sort of green you like; but that particular green, never."  - Pablo Picasso

ss_fx_by_girot-d5xrcq0.gif

#49 Pingo

Pingo

Godlike

• Members
  • 8175 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 09:46 AM

Maybe try painting it with True White then doing the wash?

The Bones are so white, you can't see where white paint is overing them or leaving spots uncovered.

I primed mine with paint (which I have always done) -- white mixed with a touch of color so I could see it. Then it took washed beautifully.
  • CashWiley likes this

I built a boat. Spelljammer pictures here.

Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying 'End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH', the paint wouldn't even have time to dry.
-- Terry Pratchett

"Therefore, O Painter, make your smaller figures merely indicated and not highly finished, otherwise you will produce effects the opposite to nature, your supreme guide"
-- Leonardo da Vinci

"All alternate histories produce zeppelins."
-- Ken Hite's Law

#50 Niranth

Niranth

Uber-Mensch

• Bones Supporter
  • 578 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 10:11 AM

I tried using PVC plumbing prep on Bones during the Kickstarter to see how it reacted. I used "Purple Primer" and below is a picture of how they turned out. Purple is by far the easiest to find, but there are other colors. After using the really noxious solution on the bones, I was able to thin the paint to 1:6 (paint to water) before it started beading up. Before using Purple Primer, read the label!

Posted Image
Bones KickStarter Links: http://www.reapermin...kstarter-links/

#51 salyvan

salyvan

Rabble Rouser

• Bones Supporter
  • 75 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 11:28 AM

I recently primed a couple of Bones minis using black matte Krylon spray on primer. On one mini the primer went on great and dried perfectly within 24 hours. On the other mini, primer went on great, but it is still tacky to the touch (doesn't leave fingerprint marks though). I applied too much primer on the second mini though.

#52 Teskal

Teskal

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 1260 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 02:29 PM

I think Vallejo Acrylic-Polyurethane Varnish (60ml) would be a could protection agains breaking color.

26.526 Vallejo Gloss Acrylic-Polyurethane Varnish (60ml)
26.527 Vallejo Matte Acrylic-Polyurethane Varnish (60ml)
26.528 Vallejo Satin Acrylic-Polyurethane Varnish (60ml)

I used the glossy version, I think it could be a good protection, but I don't have any bones yet.

From Vallejo FAQ:

10.4. Why should I use the new polyurethane varnish?
The advantage of this varnish is perhaps best noticed when varnishing larger surfaces. The varnish is manufactured with a new resin, a hybrid of Urethane and Acrylic, which results in a more resistant coating, self-leveling and easier to apply than a varnish manufactured with 100% acrylic resin. Basically it has the same properties as our new Polyurethane Primers, can be applied with a brush or an airbrush, and utensils can be cleaned easily after use.

And I learned something today (I shaked it always...):

10.3. I have air bubbles in my varnish, what causes this?
It is important not to shake the varnishes, since it may take several hours for bubbles to disappear. Mixing should be achieved by gently stirring the product.

They have also Polyurethane Primers, but I can't say much about it.

#53 bloodydrake

bloodydrake

Master

• Bones Supporter
  • 882 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 07:14 AM

I have an order with 3 bones figures on delivery should be here in the next week or so.
I tend to use Army Painters Colored primers. I'll prime one with matt white, one with greenskin colored primer and one with wolf grey colored primer and post the results here and see if the colored primers work as well as the plain white.
I use the quickshade dip then dullcoat as well, so after I'll dip them all and see as time goes by before the kickstart delivery how it holds up.

#54 ced1106

ced1106

Master

• Bones Supporter
  • 949 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 09:12 AM

I'm spoiled rotten by the "black primer + white dry brush" technique. (:

The primer I'm currently using is Rust-oleam Painter's Touch Ultra Cover 2x "Also bonds to PLASTIC" primer. Anyone know if this stuff works on Bones?

Posted Image

EDIT: Works fine.

#55 Frankthedm

Frankthedm

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 3220 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 09:49 PM

I'm spoiled rotten by the "black primer + white dry brush" technique. (:

The primer I'm currently using is Rust-oleam Painter's Touch Ultra Cover 2x "Also bonds to PLASTIC" primer. Anyone know if this stuff works on Bones?

Posted Image

Thanks!!!

The one time I used a different brand of plastic primer {Fusion], it went on thick and fused with the plastic so it could't be stripped off. I wish I could give more info.

"Life gives you lemons you make lemonade, Life gives you whales... whale burgers." -Cadaver

#56 Frankthedm

Frankthedm

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 3220 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 11:51 PM

Since I've grown to like primed black minis, but suspect many bones will be too flexible to prime in the solid black basecoat I like to work with, I'm going to try using a sharpie to 'prime' a bones bugbear. I'll be back later with results.

"Life gives you lemons you make lemonade, Life gives you whales... whale burgers." -Cadaver

#57 Last Knight

Last Knight

(╯�□�)╯︵ ┻━┻

• Bones Supporter
  • 6791 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 12:00 AM

Since I've grown to like primed black minis, but suspect many bones will be too flexible to prime in the solid black basecoat I like to work with, I'm going to try using a sharpie to 'prime' a bones bugbear. I'll be back later with results.

I just hit that bugbear with black gesso, I'll let you know how it goes. :-)
  • Frankthedm likes this

Currently DMing Boldly Into Darkness Go: Down The Murder Hole.

[img src="http://nanowrimo.org/widget/LiveSupporter/last-knight.png" /]

@Last Knight
WHY DID YOU POST THAT?

LK is my hero!

#58 Frankthedm

Frankthedm

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 3220 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 03:20 AM

Weapon and shield were direct marker application. Body was painted using sharpie ink / rubbing alcohol / water mix i'm still trying to perfect.
Posted Image

Hmm the mix penatrates the bones, but not fully, the midnight purple areas can be rubbed off to a whitish purple

Posted Image

But that will be fine for me since I like to prime black, drybrush white.

Edited by Frankthedm, 07 October 2012 - 03:30 AM.

#59 Frankthedm

Frankthedm

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 3220 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 04:15 AM

Interesting. because the permanent maker penetrates the plastic, areas with abrasions have a darker hue as the plastic is more readily penetrated.

#60 Miar

Miar

Instigator

• Bones Supporter
  • 166 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 05:16 AM

Interesting. because the permanent maker penetrates the plastic, areas with abrasions have a darker hue as the plastic is more readily penetrated.

I'd like to see what this looks like after you put a bit of paint on it.

Interest in Bones trading (On Boardgamegeek as Miar)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users