#1 Bumble_B

Bumble_B

Uber-Mensch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 01:23 PM

http://www.reapermin...ws/latest/14637

Why is this poor dwarf riding on an Owl thing?

If I was a dwarf I'd be embarrased to be riding on that thing.
And what material is that thing made of? That a new bones mini? I love the base and the way it interacts with the mini but I can't see this working very well with pewter. It's a big mini to be at such a cheap price, so I'm leaning toward bones.

I need to know more ... i need more angles ... i JUST NEED MORE!!

/EndDrunkenDwarfRant

:devil:
Vode An

#2 Bumble_B

Bumble_B

Uber-Mensch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 01:32 PM

Now that I have taken the time to plan my attack on this mini, I think my main gripes are the paint job itself.
Just the look of fear on the owls face as if it's going to hit the side of a mountain scared me.

I've been looking forward to this mini, and I think with a little tweeking it can be top of the line.

Bring it.
Vode An

#3 "That Guy"

"That Guy"

Shameless Agitator

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 02:28 PM

It is indeed pewter. The base does not come with the mini. It is a simple pin through the tail onto the top of the pillar of good (http://www.reapermin.../sku-down/65109) with some other scenic things done to it. I'm sorry you don't like the paint job, I did to rather extensive research on great horned owls plumage and their expressions. What kind of tweaks were you considering?
Martin is an exceptionally gifted human being, a man of unlimited talent. His smile brightens the sky, and he could lull a dragon to sleep just by whistling softly. He's stronger than The Hulk, braver than Captain America, smarter than Iron Man, and Chuck Norris fears him. A scholar and a gentleman, he is nothing less than the most exemplary ideal of humanity for whom exists no limit of superlatives. He is Martin, Man of Action! -Buglips

http://www.drstrangebrush.com/
https://www.facebook.../drstrangebrush

#4 Bumble_B

Bumble_B

Uber-Mensch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 03:00 PM

I was either going to go with

Posted Image

or

Posted Image

For the eyes/face. Something more looming and battle worthy.

The head will probably need to be repositioned downward and forward, as well as the front claws to give him more of an attack look and to match the face/eyes.

Being that it's pewter I'm not sure how easy that is going to be to accomplish, let alone balance. It will be fun trying.

The base is amazing and I will have to steal it if you dont mind. I didnt recognize it at all.
The detail work on the feathers ... ya, No way I'm going to be able to pull that off. Good stuff.

Just the shock of it not being a scary butt hawkish gryphon threw me off. Everyone has a different take on it though.

Thanks!
Vode An

#5 Dr.Bedlam

Dr.Bedlam

Godlike

• Members
  • 3642 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 08:49 PM

...actually, I rather like it. It's a departure from the standard griffon, and the paint job is one of the things that sold me on it.
  • joshuaslater likes this

"Actually, I DO look like my avatar..." tumblr_me9zrqN4dK1rao9jio1_400.jpg

Bringer of Gonturzaps

http://www.reapermin...040-gonturzaps/

#6 Stubbdog

Stubbdog

Obssessive Over-Analyzer

• Bones Supporter
  • 6979 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 10:14 PM

Martin, I like most of your store paintjobs, but not particularly with this one. Course i really dont like the owl idea to begin with, but that aside, i think its the white of the the under wings is a different white than the snow leopard is just looking like they dont and shouldnt go together. The wings are vanilla white while the cat is cold white. then the what looks to be a dark blue armor piece with more white trimming just really throws it off even more. Oh well. If I got this mini I would have to chop the head off and replace it with a hawk or eagle head.

#7 SeRviceNaw

SeRviceNaw

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 05:31 AM

In my opinion you are not right. Let's discuss it.

#8 MiniCannuck

MiniCannuck

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 1182 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 06:00 AM

First, I'd like to say that the painting of the wings looks excellent. I love the progression of the colours.

Unfortunately, that's all the positive I can find on this one. Each part of the mini looks well sculpted but it seems to be a hodgepodge of parts Frankensteined together. The head doesn't flow from the body for me.

However, I'm sure that there will be others who love it and that's all that counts.

Hit or miss, I appreciate the variety of minis to choose from.

#9 Baphomet69

Baphomet69

The Big Boner

• Bones Supporter
  • 2513 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 07:03 AM

I actually like the paint job, especially the wings. The model itself does seem slightly odd though. I would have preferred the dwarf on the normal griffon further down the previews page I think.
"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
John Stuart Mill
English economist & philosopher (1806 - 1873)

#10 Adrift

Adrift

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 2218 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 07:05 AM

I like the paint job overall, but I can see how the eyes lack the 'killer instinct' of owls. We were at the zoo the other day with our 2 year old and when we went by the owls, even at rest, they looked kinda focused/angry and ready to attack any little prey that may wander within reach.

For me, I'm not sure I'm sold on the actual sculpt/blend between cat and owl. I think a wolf/owl would be more to my liking.
  • Baphomet69 likes this

#11 Baphomet69

Baphomet69

The Big Boner

• Bones Supporter
  • 2513 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 07:15 AM

For me, I'm not sure I'm sold on the actual sculpt/blend between cat and owl. I think a wolf/owl would be more to my liking.

Ooh, maybe that would work! I like it.
"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
John Stuart Mill
English economist & philosopher (1806 - 1873)

#12 joshuaslater

joshuaslater

CareBear

• Bones Supporter
  • 6467 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 09:13 AM

...actually, I rather like it. It's a departure from the standard griffon, and the paint job is one of the things that sold me on it.

A Griffon that's part Owl and Snow Leopard!!!!! That is boldly original. I think someone could match the Owl painting better to reflect the cold climate, and that model will be even more badass.
A miniature venture of mine: http://www.cauldronbornminiatures.com

#13 MiniCannuck

MiniCannuck

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 1182 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 12:11 PM

A Griffon that's part Owl and Snow Leopard!!!!! That is boldly original. I think someone could match the Owl painting better to reflect the cold climate, and that model will be even more badass.

... so is chocolate and anchovies :upside:

Seriously though, perhaps a different paint job would sell me on the figure. I think the artist is great but it just seems like a hodgepodge to me.

... now I have to go and find some anchovies to go with my chocolae bar....

#14 joshuaslater

joshuaslater

CareBear

• Bones Supporter
  • 6467 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 12:18 PM

Chocolate and peanut butter is more like it.
A miniature venture of mine: http://www.cauldronbornminiatures.com

#15 Heisler

Heisler

Auctioneer at Large

• Auctioneer
  • 6261 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 05:37 PM

Nope, don't like it. Paint work is, on its own fine, but from the standpoint of something that looks like it actually belongs together it has a long way to go.
* It's NOT denial. I'm just very selective about the reality I accept. -- Calvin (Calvin and Hobbes)
* Cry havoc, and let slip the dogs of war - Shakespeare's Julius Caeser
* Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.
* We occasionally stumble over the truth but most of us pick ourselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened. Winston Churchill
* Tardis Express: When it absolutely, positively, has to be there yesterday
* Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more, ... - Shakespeare's Henry V
* My two hobby blog; Wargames and Railroads

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users