It's starting to grow on me. I reacted negatively when I first saw it because it is such a departure from what I consider "normal" fantasy. Then again, I don't know of any statutes that say Reaper has to do it the way I think is right. I think this is going to be one of those minis that just doesn't photograph that well, but once I see it in real life down at ReaperCon I will want one.

I have a feeling this will be a popular mini at Reapercon just to see what can be done with it. Whether it's the sculpt, or the paint; I can't figure out what's off, I just know it is.

It's got a flippin dwarf on it!! ... I must avenge his oddness with miniature tweaking!!

Cool Dwarven flying cavalry. I can't see why anyone who plays the Kragmarr Dwarves would hestitate to get this model in their force.

I know exactly what I don't like about it. With a regular Griffin there is a natural flow from the body to the head, it looks "right". Using the owl head interrupts that flow, because the face of the owl has to be turned up in an "unnatural" position in order to see it so it looks like it was just stuck on rather than flowing naturally from body to the head. The paint job doesn't help in this instance, there is to much going on with the wings (very impressive work there) to the snow leopard body. There is just to many complex things going on and again none of them have a natural flow from one to the other.

Edited by Heisler

I for one love it. I think that the concept of an owl/griffon is very unique and I wish there were more figures like it because it's such a departure from 'traditional' fantasy. Eagle/griffons are a dime a dozen.

I also like the choice of snow leopard painting for the body, once again awesome departure from traditional fantasy.

I agree the head/neck area looks a bit odd, but that may partly be the camera angle since there's so much going on there with the dwarf's leg and wing being right there too.

Hi all!

I'll have to disagree with those who are lukewarm on this model. Given, I am also a fan of "non-standard" fantasy, so I don't require my griffons to be automatic eagle/lion hybrids. :;): There are enough great traditional griffon sculpts, IMHO. It's nice to see something new. And--seriously--Julie Guthrie sculpted this. She does GORGEOUS animal sculpts, and it's a nicely dynamic pose.

Given that, yes, I will agree that it is a hard model to photograph--most dynamic sculpts are. I went and looked at it again just now and I think people will like it better in person, as many of you have said. ::):

I am a little disappointed in the level of negativity expressed in this thread regarding the paint job. Painting something of this size and complexity in the limited time allowed to make deadlines is not for the faint of heart. Having been in that boat, I personally applaud and stand by Martin's work. ::):

For those who have differing ideas on how it should be painted--do I hear a proposal for an owl-griffon painting showdown at ReaperCon? :;):

That sounds like a gauntlet being thrown down. I'd like to see the results of that contest, as I think the model is cool, and think people could go crazy painting it up.

I'm not even lukewarm on this model. Wonderful sculptor, great paint job, just doesn't and won't do anything for me. There still needs to be a natural flow to how things are going together and this one doesn't have it. Other folks are more than welcome to love it, and paint it and just enjoy it to their hearts content. I'm just not one of them.

If it was just me going to Reapercon for 4 days, I'd accept that painting challenge. Alas, I am a weekend Reaperconer and have my wife to think about also. ^_^

I personally can't wait to see it in person, or some more photos on it.

I will apologize for my initial overabundance of negativity. The model, in it's current state, just doesn't do it for me, and to come on the board ranting about it doesn't honestly help anything or anyone.

Martin is an exceptional artist and my hat off to him for conquering this beast.

We all can get overamped on miniatures from time to time. "Not to my tastes" is always the softer touch.

Thankfully there are plenty of models to choose from, so I never get upset over a model not being to my tastes. Seeing as it's Warlord, you can proxy any Reaper model you like for official tourney play, or any model from any manufacturer for your own games. Sounds all good to me.

I've added a new angle. See what you think now.

OK I see what's going on now. So my first take was a little off. I see how he is turning in the air. It looks far better. I am still a little put off by a few things, I think the neck length or size is throwing me off still.

And I see what you did with the first image (photoshopped?), the moving on the mini, and the enlarging of the eyes. I'm not sure if a simple tweaking of just those few things would be enough to make the piece come together. He looks like he is getting ready to fall off his base now. The way the body is moving to the side kinda turning, the changes I had originally stated wouldnt fit without alot of redo's/ resculpts of different aspects of the mini.

I do however like the enlarging of the black parts in the eyes that were done in the first image. I like that aspect much more, but everyones views are different.

It's def something im going to have to consider when doing mine. I can't wait.

Much thanks for the extra angles on the photos and i just gotta ask ..... what's with the skunk? ^_^

Well, I read all of the critiques and thought that enlarging the pupils was a good idea. I lined around the eyes a bit deeper as well. Julie Guthrie informed us earlier that the griffon was intended to look like it was swooping down, so I re-positioned the model on the base to reflect that. Great horned owls actually love to eat skunks, so I added a little bite to eat. Also, it breaks up the monotony of the stark white and light grays of the base. Anywho, I'm rather pleased how it turned out for only spending maybe a grand total of 8 hours from start to finish on it.