• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Shogan

Shogan

Instigator

• Bones Supporter
  • 185 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 07:18 PM

Ive been working on more creative bases. Found several ideas on the internet and these are just two. The coins need more work. Ive had a time trying to paint them while not making the paint look clumpy and not getting it on the sand.

Bases.JPG

#2 haldir

haldir

I Don't Look Like My Avatar

• Bones Supporter
  • 12853 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 09:58 PM

I like those. Heck I know that the chest one would find a home in my RCon rpg games, ha ha
Posted Image Posted Image Oh what the hell-- Posted Image

ReaperCon goer since 2005!

"The Road Goes Ever On......

"Lop that mutt's nards off spike! " orcsoul

#3 Shogan

Shogan

Instigator

• Bones Supporter
  • 185 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:46 PM

Here's one more that I forgot to add. Its a lava base and my first attempt to wet blend. I'm not as happy with the colors but I like the style and it would be fun to try again.

Lava Base.JPG

#4 Dodson

Dodson

Rabble Rouser

• Members
  • Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 02:08 AM

Shogan,

When doing the lava base, you might try going with a "brighter" red closer to the bubbles, fading into orange and then bright yellow at the top. Lava when it gets to it's thinnest point is a bright yellow. The thicker the lava the darker red it will get. That's a fun effect, I wonder how hard it would be to sculptone of them popping...

The best picture I have to show you this is a photograph taken of a lava flow. The link to the picture https://a1000wor.acc...lava bubble.jpg (didn't want to directly link image since not sure on that website's policies regarding such). The main directory of photos I found it in is here https://a1000wor.acc...fc20c720818df76)

I'm a geologist by trade, figured this is one of few things I can comfortably critique ;)

#5 warhorseminis

warhorseminis

Rabble Rouser

• Members
  • Pip
  • 70 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 08:15 AM

That's a great pic, John!

So, is lava as a general rule the opposite of fire in that the hotter it is, the darker it becomes in color? Whereas flame is usually lighter at its hottest point. Or is that too much of a generalization and I should find a reference pic whenever possible? lol!

Cheers,
Kath

Posted Image

Karrie Balwochus

aka Kathryn Loch

#6 Stubbdog

Stubbdog

Obssessive Over-Analyzer

• Bones Supporter
  • 6979 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 08:55 AM

No, lava is still like fire. That pic shows the effect that cooling has on lava. That is, the lava in that pic has started to form a skin on the top where the air is cooling it and getting darker. but it is also flowing. So the cooling skin in the middle is darker than the edges that is the "under the skin" as it flows down the hill.

#7 Dodson

Dodson

Rabble Rouser

• Members
  • Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 12:18 AM

That's right Stub, and lava for the most part is always cooling. Lava itself is just magma that has reached the surface of the planet. As such, upon erupting the lava (formerly magma) begins to cool as it is exposed to air/water/etc and deprived of it's original heat source (the mantle). The black your seeing is the lava cooling. When lava cools fully it hardens into a rock, basalt.

Found this on usgs.gov website. If you want to nerd it up and see how hot lava is at certain colors.

By way of its color, incandescent rock gives a crude estimate of temperature. For example, orange-to-yellow colors are emitted when rocks (or melt) are hotter than about 900 degrees Celsius (1,650 degrees Fahrenheit). Dark-to-bright cherry red is characteristic as material cools to 630 degrees Celsius (1,165 degrees Fahrenheit). Faint red glow persists down to about 480 degrees Celsius (895 degrees Fahrenheit). For comparison, a pizza oven is operated at temperatures ranging from 260 to 315 degrees Celsius (500 to 600 degrees Fahrenheit). -- USGS/HVO Volcano Watch, November 14, 1997

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users