13 replies to this topic

#1 -=Lazuli=-

-=Lazuli=-

Mostly Harmless

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 12:23 PM

Hi everyone,
  • Please critique this models for me. This model is a 54mm Aria from Morland Studios. I just bought the entire Reaper line and this is my first time using the paints. So far I have spent avout 6 hours to do the skin and the hair. This is my entry for ReaperCon and IPMS Nationals - Junior Level so please critque it. I do not like the eyes much, it's really small and hard to paint correctly....

Cheap, affordable painting for wargamers and collectors: www.wix.com/LazuliPainting/Home I can paint anything from display models to wargaming armies, I have been a commission painter for 3 years, and worked with many people including Chaper House Studios. My CoolMiniorNot: http://www.coolminio...tist/-=lazuli=-

#2 captenglish

captenglish

Godlike

• Members
  • 1265 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 01:13 PM

No pic!

They [machines] cannot commune with God. Official Fieldarchy fanboy!

#3 -=Lazuli=-

-=Lazuli=-

Mostly Harmless

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 03:25 PM

Hmm, it didn't upload. Got a little further, I'll load both:

Posted Image

Posted Image
Cheap, affordable painting for wargamers and collectors: www.wix.com/LazuliPainting/Home I can paint anything from display models to wargaming armies, I have been a commission painter for 3 years, and worked with many people including Chaper House Studios. My CoolMiniorNot: http://www.coolminio...tist/-=lazuli=-

#4 captenglish

captenglish

Godlike

• Members
  • 1265 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 03:45 PM

I think I'm in love :wub: ::D: ::D: How did you paint her hair; I have been want to paint a female figure with red hair ( :wub: gingers :wub: ), but I have never been able to get it right.

#5 parvusmachina

parvusmachina

Rabble Rouser

• Members
  • Pip
  • 51 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 06:15 PM

Hair, scales, and face fantastic. Not sure about some of the highlights on the skin and the shadows under her chest don't look right to me.
==================================================================================

Stuff I am selling on eBay: http://www.ebay.com/...&_sop=12&_rdc=1
My Facebook page for miniatures: http://www.facebook.com/Parvusmachina
Follow me on Twitter! @keithkoene
Or just ignore me....your choice.
I have to warn you......I do my own stunts.

#6 Heisler

Heisler

Auctioneer at Large

• Auctioneer
  • 6127 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 06:32 PM

Overall the skin is very good, definitely have some problems that need to be cleaned up in the darker shadows under her breasts. the blending on all the green is good but is a little rough in places, the transitions are a bit abrupt in the scales. I don't think I would have gone with green for the clam shells, I can see that collectively it goes nicely with the hair and scales but I think you missed an opportunity to add a different element to draw the viewer's eye to the miniature. The hair definitely needs more work, the highlights are not right. The eyes, individually are great, however, they aren't looking in the same direction so I seeing a kind of add look. You could probably get away with a larger Iris as well, there is an awful lot of white showing, a reflection (just a white dot) would really help to make the eyes stand out.
* It's NOT denial. I'm just very selective about the reality I accept. -- Calvin (Calvin and Hobbes)
* Cry havoc, and let slip the dogs of war - Shakespeare's Julius Caeser
* Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.
* We occasionally stumble over the truth but most of us pick ourselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened. Winston Churchill
* Tardis Express: When it absolutely, positively, has to be there yesterday
* Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more, ... - Shakespeare's Henry V
* My two hobby blog; Wargames and Railroads

#7 -=Lazuli=-

-=Lazuli=-

Mostly Harmless

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 07:21 PM

Hi guys,

Thanks for the advice. Here was my recipe for the hair:
Reaper Pheonix Red
GW Baal Red
Reaper Pheonix Red
I don't remember the other colors name, but they are in the same triad as the Pheonix Red (which is more orange), last color is 1:1 mix of the lightest highlight color and Pure Bone.

The breasts... The main thing is that on the model, they are not symmetrical, the left one is large than the right and comes down out of the shell, the right one doesn't. I will try to fix the blending, should have pictures tomorrow.

@Heisler: What color could be better for the shells?

#8 -=Lazuli=-

-=Lazuli=-

Mostly Harmless

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 10:33 PM

More WiP:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Sorry for the night time photos...

#9 -=Lazuli=-

-=Lazuli=-

Mostly Harmless

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 10:34 PM

Hm, with the close-ups, I see that the chest shadows need work... The model looks so much better actual size ;)

#10 MonkeySloth

MonkeySloth

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 5323 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 11:06 PM

I notice that all the time. Something will look great then I'll post a photo in my WIP thread and be like "ugg that's horrible".

I actually like the green shells, as I don't really know what other color you can add there that wouldn't scream "look at my chest!" and the blending for them has turned out very nice. The skin is ruff as people said and I think that part of it might be you're using too much brown in your shadow. Think about making it a softer purple or maroon as that will blend with the skin better.

@monkeysloth

New: Current Contest and Active Ribbon list | My Tutorial List and WIP Thread

I never thought I'd write this...but I agree with MonkeySloth on this one. ~ Adrift

#11 Heisler

Heisler

Auctioneer at Large

• Auctioneer
  • 6127 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 12:27 PM

I don't know if I really have a suggestion for the shells, other than going with a pinkish pearl which would have been a more natural color for them. Will that color go along with the rest? It might if you brought some of the reds from the hair down into the shells as well. However, the blending on the shells is really good, so I might hesitate to change it at this stage, just something to keep in mind for next time.
* It's NOT denial. I'm just very selective about the reality I accept. -- Calvin (Calvin and Hobbes)
* Cry havoc, and let slip the dogs of war - Shakespeare's Julius Caeser
* Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.
* We occasionally stumble over the truth but most of us pick ourselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened. Winston Churchill
* Tardis Express: When it absolutely, positively, has to be there yesterday
* Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more, ... - Shakespeare's Henry V
* My two hobby blog; Wargames and Railroads

#12 captenglish

captenglish

Godlike

• Members
  • 1265 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 12:47 PM

I'm with Heisler on this on one, I would go with a pinkish pearl for the shells; I would have suggested it earlier, but since I am terrible at color schemes I wasn't sure if it would go with the green and the red hair.

#13 psyberwolfe1

psyberwolfe1

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 2241 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 07:21 PM

This is a good start. Since you want this to be a competition piece I'm going to give you some very specific critiques going top down. The hair needs more shadow specifically some deep browns it will sell the red better it reads orange at the momement. The eyes have already been discussed. The highlight shade tones on the face are abrupt . The forehead to brow ridge is a good example. The right side of the model's face which is tilted furthest from the zenithal light should be more shadowed. The sides of the nose are too dark and should be brightened up. Currently they make the face look much older than the sculpt suggests. The face is tilted down so less bright highlight will help over all.

The breasts are probably your most problematic area. The darklining goes way too high and make her look like she had a bad plastic surgeon a la Katie Morgan pre-boob job vs. post. The darklining should stop where the skin is no longer folding over itself. The left side top should have the highlight extending back further toward the colar bone. The underside that is effervesing out from the bottom of the brazier should be darker and not match the highlight on the top. The rest of the skin should be blended better.

I agree with Heisler about the shell brazier. Green is not doing it for me. Do a google image search for scallop shells I think there some great ideas there that would look fantastic.

On to what I like. The stomach area is real nice and with some better blending will be phenominal. I like the color of green for the scales. The warmer top colors with the cooler bottom colors gives the model a nice balance. I am real fan of your color choice with the skin. Overall this is a great start, and I look forward to where this is going.

2014 Painting Goal: 6 Figures/ 36 Painted as of 01/22/2014

For other Wargame and miniature related stuff you can read my blog at http://tacticalrock.blogspot.com

Does anybody else find it odd, by the way, that the information age has led to language becoming an oblique and imprecise tool where even the most straightforward phrasing is pored over with chicken entrails and bone tossing to divine the true meaning?

... nobody remembers Slave Leia because, "Oh my gosh! What innovative use of bronze."

Meep.jpg

#14 paintminion

paintminion

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 1269 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 09:44 PM

Hair needs some help - my usual recipe throws Mahoganny as base, Orange Brown or Saffron Sunset as midtones, and Creamy Ivory as highlight.

Best advice for painting hair I can give is to look at someone with hair in the light and see where the highest highlights are - anything turned perpendicular to the sun is highest. So base could go darker, then build the highlights up. Think of the hair as a helmet - there are no strands! Think how would you highlight it then? Use the brush strokes in the direction of the hair to give you strands and ignore the sculpted strands for a bit, until last few pases. Glazes (really thin paint) of your base color and midtones will help bring the hair together.

Good luck and keep going! Best way to learn is to jump in and work - You are well on your way to a great figure!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users