• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 joshuaslater

joshuaslater

CareBear

• Bones Supporter
  • 6577 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 08:25 AM

We think we've been playing incorrectly. The question: Can a model move, then make a charge with the two inch bonus into base to base, and then conduct the fight action?
  • Shogan likes this
A miniature venture of mine: http://www.cauldronbornminiatures.com

#2 Stubbdog

Stubbdog

Obssessive Over-Analyzer

• Bones Supporter
  • 6979 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 09:22 AM

Yes. The bonus 2 inches does not count as a move itself. So, you are simply doing a charge and then a fight action.

#3 Shogan

Shogan

Instigator

• Bones Supporter
  • 185 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 09:25 AM

If I'm understanding it, your asking if you can make your full move action, then charge your movement plus the two inches, then make your attack. If this is the case then you have been playing wrong. You can do your movement then charge or you can charge then attack but you can't do all three. Hope that helps. But I've only jut learned to play so I hope I'm right.

#4 Shakandara

Shakandara

God of All Things Cheesecake

• Black Lightning
  • 5996 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 09:26 AM

Let's review a couple things here, to make sure we are on a the same page.

There are 3 kinds of movement actions in Warlord. Each has a specific name and use.

Move: The models moves at its current MOV value. Models may not use a Move action to base another model.
Run: The model can move its current MOV value, plus an additional 2". Models may not use a Run unless they have already used a Move action in the same activation pass. The Run action may not be used to base another model.
Charge: The model can move its current MOV value, plus an additional 2", provided that this brings it into base contact with another model. This is the only Movement action that can bring a model into base contact with another. It can be lso be used following a Move action.

That being said, each on of those is an action, and all models receive two actions every activation (unless otherwise noted by conditions, SAs, etc.)

I think one of the most commonly misunderstood parts of Warlord is that a Charge action is not just 2" of movement, but rather a movement action that grants the model MOV + 2". Further, just because the model can move this value as part of a Charge action, does not mean they have to. The Charge action's primary function is to base a model for combat; the 2" bonus is, well, a bonus. :;):

Here's an example: say your model and the enemy are exactly 9" apart, and it is your turn. Your model has a MOV of 6". A normal Move of 6" would bring you within 3" of the other model. A Charge of 8" (MOV 6" + 2") would bring you within 1", however, you only get that bonus if it actually gets you into B2B. So, you cannot Charge with the first action, as it is too far away. After the Move of 6", you could then Run (assuming you don't want to base the enemy) and go another 8", for a total maximum move of 14". You could also Charge, going 3" into B2B with the enemy (you could have Charged up to 8", but you did not need the extra movement).

Since you've now used both actions, you cannot attack. If the target had been 8" away or less, you could have Charged on the first action, and attacked on the second.

EDIT: Jason and Shogan snuck replies in while I was typing this, but hopefully a full description of the process helps future players as well.

~v

Edited by Shakandara, 01 May 2012 - 09:28 AM.

Shakandara.com

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein

Look! Auctions!! Buy my stuff!!!

#5 joshuaslater

joshuaslater

CareBear

• Bones Supporter
  • 6577 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 09:38 AM

If I'm understanding it, your asking if you can make your full move action, then charge your movement plus the two inches, then make your attack. If this is the case then you have been playing wrong. You can do your movement then charge or you can charge then attack but you can't do all three. Hope that helps. But I've only jut learned to play so I hope I'm right.

Dig. I think you got it right.

Shak--just give me a yes or no on this please. Everyone on this forum knows me as not being the swiftest cat, even on a good day, so bear with me.

It's not easy being the village idiot on this forum. Sigh.

#6 Shakandara

Shakandara

God of All Things Cheesecake

• Black Lightning
  • 5996 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 09:44 AM

I spent 10 years being a teacher, and the last 3 doing IT service desk work. I assume nothing, and give a full explanation whenever possible. :;):

~v

Shakandara.com

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein

Look! Auctions!! Buy my stuff!!!

#7 joshuaslater

joshuaslater

CareBear

• Bones Supporter
  • 6577 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:06 AM

Thanks all. We knew the answer after actually reading the book, but I like my homies here to make sure I'm on the right track.

Another win for the Warlord design team however.

If both players play the wrong way and the game still rocks, the game shines even more. We'll be playing the correct way from now on, but the game was still a blast.

I took out the Dwarven Warlord but had to flee the field with Nor'okk and an Ogre soldier both on their last damage tracks. It was the correct decision.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users