Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MamaGeek

St. Michael the Archangel

28 posts in this topic

I converted two Reaper Miniatures (Achiah, Male Angel, and T`Quan, Skoli Warrior), both by the very talented Sandra Garrity:

post-4823-0-27394300-1335928346_thumb.jpg

Here's how the model looks so far, after 5 hours of painting (click to view larger):

post-4823-0-16949700-1335928371_thumb.jpg

(I'll post updates here as I go, but you can find more detail in my Blog).

Thanks for looking!

1 person likes this

It looks finished already!! Bangin'!

Nice conversion, mama-san! Wondering if you can add some more dimension to those flat looking wings?... lookin' planked! Also, would angels have belly buttons... I'm just askin'?

Loving the model.

mudhead, I haven't painted the wings yet! Hahaha! And that's a good point about the belly button. I never thought of that! That's the way it's sculpted, though, so I'll just go with it.

Anyway, I didn't really like his face, so I took y hobby knife to it for a little "cosmetic surgery", cleaned it up with brush-on primer, and some more paint, and voila!

post-4823-0-78078600-1336013023_thumb.jpg

Better, yes?

1 person likes this

Back to the brushes! (Yes, it's been a while. That's just life, sometimes)

post-4823-0-98100500-1338776912_thumb.jpg

Yay! I was wondering when we'd see your next update, but it was worth the wait! The trailing cloak looks great, and I think your color selection has been spot-on.

Nicely done thus far! Love the red of the breastplate.

I've got waaay too many angels sitting in my queue right now...all those feathers! Your wings are looking lovely, though. Nice and simple backdrop for those reds and blues.

Thanks, folk!

Here's after a couple hours of touchups, blend smoothing, etc.

post-4823-0-29024800-1339859388_thumb.jpg

He look very nice, all the colors are very smooth, that gives him a soft feel. Perfect for an angel character.

Is there a red stain under his right arm, on the white epaulet?

He look very nice, all the colors are very smooth, that gives him a soft feel. Perfect for an angel character.

Is there a red stain under his right arm, on the white epaulet?

Hmm..yes, I think you're right. I'll have to fix that, thanks!

Yaay, your back to it! He's looking great, Joy. I love the way the wings are turning out. The red is fantastic and very smooth.

I do have one nit for you: I think you could use an intermediary glaze or two in the blue sash, especially in the folds on his back and in front over the arm; it appears a bit abrupt in a few areas.

Take care,

Andy

Yeah, I've been struggling with those areas. They aren't cooperating with my usual blending techniques. I'll keep at it, though, and thanks for the critiques!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By InvisibleThumb
      I have yet to assemble a complete figure from any of the Frostgrave sprues of plastic parts, so I thought I'd start slow with a head swap.  Enter Anval Theicedamned, Evil Warrior.  His head is just begging to be chopped off.

I figured I'd swap one hooded head for another so I chose what appeared to be an armored hooded head from the cultists sprue and after chipping away at Anval's neck area, applied the super glue and commenced to hold it in place for several minutes.  Yes, there is a better way, and it involves drilling and pinning things.  Bah, details.  It eventually stuck and I decided on a paint scheme.

Much metallics of various kinds.  Sadly I only have a few.  And a non traditional skin color.  This guy with no visible face lends itself well to an exotic or alien race.  Also, there's some nice detail on that axe.  I decided it must be some kind of magic weapon, perhaps of the air, storm, lightning element kind?  So I applied an unusual color and effect on the blade.  Sparking snow and yes, alien goo.  Also tried to give him a lightning tattoo in alien goo on the back.  

Here is the finished piece.  So how convincing is the new head?

A view of the axe

And tat

• By Chaoswolf
      No, not the ever lovin' blue eyed Ben Grimm.

Not John Carpenter's horrific alien beast, either. (Although, there is a certain resemblance....)

No, this abomination was made at Reapercon last year. I plan on fixing it up and entering it in the open category at the coming Reapercon.

This is what it looked like when I got home from the 'con.

And this is what it looks like now:

I still like the other head idea, and may revisit that sometime in the future, but for now, I like this one better.

• By OneBoot
      I wasn't originally planning to do a WIP of this guy, but after struggling with super glue and vaseline and half-cured greenstuff, I thought that it might be wise to post about it and learn all the ways I'm going about this wrong.

I decided to swap two of the heads because I thought it would look more balanced, and I also decided to add wings because why not? Then, because it totally looked like I'd just hacked stuff apart and sorta glued it back together (because...that's what I did), I decided to break out my increasingly stiff greenstuff.

I didn't want to wait for the GS to cure before putting brown liner on, which as you'll see later was a mistake. :P I made a sort of half-hearted attempt at scales in a couple of spots, but really all I wanted to do was smooth the join between the neck and head, so I basically just tried to smush it as flat as I could and feather the edges a bit.

And here's the wings, which were 'voluntarily' donated by my extra Rauthuros.

I wasn't quite sure what I was doing, so I just cut them apart and sorta...glued them on. Pinning didn't even occur to me until after the glue had already set (and I used a fair bit).  I did try to scrape off the Brown Liner where I'd planned to join them to the body, but being Brown Liner, it rather stubbornly resisted both my fingernail and my sanding needle, so I shrugged and stuck them on anyways.

I originally was going to just smooth the super obvious place where the wings met the body, but after I'd poked and prodded and squashed the GS into place, I decided to get...creative.

That there is my super-rough first attempt at scales. It looks pretty horrid close-up, but I'm hoping that I'll be able to disguise some of that with paint. At least this way, there's some texture there that I can play with.

I am actually quite pleased with how the areas closest to his spine look, though! If you squint, they look kinda scale-like!

And here's the final result:

The wings are lopsided, but I can't do anything about that now, and this is a just-for-fun piece anyways, so I'm not going to stress about it (though it will bug me until the end of forever, lol).

The next step, after all the GS cures, will be to scrub him off again, because vaseline and paint don't mix well. And I totally did the intelligent thing in slathering him in brown liner BEFORE I'd done the conversions; there's vaseline all over that now. 

Huzzah!
      --OneBoot :D
    • By lexomatic
      So I have a ranger beast master character who has a goat companion. I hated the fact that Hildir and her goat come on one base.

So I separated them.

Next will be some combination of the 2 bones figures. Ideally I will take the grandmother's upper body and attach it to the legs of rioter, but her waist is much narrower. If that looks weird, I'll just do a head transplant!

Then arms hollowed out for a toothpick staff.
    • By Guildenstern
      Took some pics of my finished warbiker conversion (this is based on a deffkopta, basically a little helicopter) - WIP pics are in my wip thread.

I tried several new things, mostly water effects in a more cinematic style. Tried to make the water look like it was spraying or kicked up by the bike wheels. Also did some droplet effects. Overall it's ok, not quite what I was hoping for but next time will be even better I'm sure.

• Who's Online   47 Members, 9 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)