28 posts in this topic
Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
I have yet to assemble a complete figure from any of the Frostgrave sprues of plastic parts, so I thought I'd start slow with a head swap. Enter Anval Theicedamned, Evil Warrior. His head is just begging to be chopped off.
I figured I'd swap one hooded head for another so I chose what appeared to be an armored hooded head from the cultists sprue and after chipping away at Anval's neck area, applied the super glue and commenced to hold it in place for several minutes. Yes, there is a better way, and it involves drilling and pinning things. Bah, details. It eventually stuck and I decided on a paint scheme.
Much metallics of various kinds. Sadly I only have a few. And a non traditional skin color. This guy with no visible face lends itself well to an exotic or alien race. Also, there's some nice detail on that axe. I decided it must be some kind of magic weapon, perhaps of the air, storm, lightning element kind? So I applied an unusual color and effect on the blade. Sparking snow and yes, alien goo. Also tried to give him a lightning tattoo in alien goo on the back.
Here is the finished piece. So how convincing is the new head?
A view of the axe
No, not the ever lovin' blue eyed Ben Grimm.
Not John Carpenter's horrific alien beast, either. (Although, there is a certain resemblance....)
No, this abomination was made at Reapercon last year. I plan on fixing it up and entering it in the open category at the coming Reapercon.
This is what it looked like when I got home from the 'con.
And this is what it looks like now:
I still like the other head idea, and may revisit that sometime in the future, but for now, I like this one better.
I wasn't originally planning to do a WIP of this guy, but after struggling with super glue and vaseline and half-cured greenstuff, I thought that it might be wise to post about it and learn all the ways I'm going about this wrong.
I decided to swap two of the heads because I thought it would look more balanced, and I also decided to add wings because why not? Then, because it totally looked like I'd just hacked stuff apart and sorta glued it back together (because...that's what I did), I decided to break out my increasingly stiff greenstuff.
I didn't want to wait for the GS to cure before putting brown liner on, which as you'll see later was a mistake. :P I made a sort of half-hearted attempt at scales in a couple of spots, but really all I wanted to do was smooth the join between the neck and head, so I basically just tried to smush it as flat as I could and feather the edges a bit.
And here's the wings, which were 'voluntarily' donated by my extra Rauthuros.
I wasn't quite sure what I was doing, so I just cut them apart and sorta...glued them on. Pinning didn't even occur to me until after the glue had already set (and I used a fair bit). I did try to scrape off the Brown Liner where I'd planned to join them to the body, but being Brown Liner, it rather stubbornly resisted both my fingernail and my sanding needle, so I shrugged and stuck them on anyways.
I originally was going to just smooth the super obvious place where the wings met the body, but after I'd poked and prodded and squashed the GS into place, I decided to get...creative.
That there is my super-rough first attempt at scales. It looks pretty horrid close-up, but I'm hoping that I'll be able to disguise some of that with paint. At least this way, there's some texture there that I can play with.
I am actually quite pleased with how the areas closest to his spine look, though! If you squint, they look kinda scale-like!
And here's the final result:
The wings are lopsided, but I can't do anything about that now, and this is a just-for-fun piece anyways, so I'm not going to stress about it (though it will bug me until the end of forever, lol).
The next step, after all the GS cures, will be to scrub him off again, because vaseline and paint don't mix well. And I totally did the intelligent thing in slathering him in brown liner BEFORE I'd done the conversions; there's vaseline all over that now.
So I have a ranger beast master character who has a goat companion. I hated the fact that Hildir and her goat come on one base.
So I separated them.
Next will be some combination of the 2 bones figures. Ideally I will take the grandmother's upper body and attach it to the legs of rioter, but her waist is much narrower. If that looks weird, I'll just do a head transplant!
Then arms hollowed out for a toothpick staff.
Took some pics of my finished warbiker conversion (this is based on a deffkopta, basically a little helicopter) - WIP pics are in my wip thread.
I tried several new things, mostly water effects in a more cinematic style. Tried to make the water look like it was spraying or kicked up by the bike wheels. Also did some droplet effects. Overall it's ok, not quite what I was hoping for but next time will be even better I'm sure.
Who's Online 47 Members, 9 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)
- Dan Goodchild
- Pezler the Polychromatic
- Bane Of Humanity
- Darsc Zacal
- Froggy the Great