Sign in to follow this  
chang1701

Reaper Spiders

Hey all.

I'm new to these boards. Been wargaming since mage knight and got into the craft part of it about a year ago. I play GW LOTR SBG, but my friend and i have started buying Reaper minis to make our own characters. (I also started using Reaper paints after i got tired of GW's paints)

I have a few questions about some of the monsters that Reaper makes.

1) I've wanted to get some spiders. Hows the scale compared to that of GW? The giant spiders seem like a match to theirs.

2) Are there any Reaper Dragons or Trolls that fit the scale?

Thanks for answering to those who do.

Oh, Any Oregon gamers on here? Seems like this state lacks in the gamers. :(

Dan

try the eastern side of the state, barren just like the landscape.. :down:

Ontario here.

1) Not sure what size GW are but Reaper does makes spiders in all shapes & sizes

2) Same with the dragons & trolls (at least I think the trolls are). Again no up to GW sizes these days but pretty sure there are figs that will fit right in with GW.

RM

GW is somewhere in the 28mm scale. Reaper Warlord stand a little taller than GW LOTR sculpts.

Onterio eh, passed through there once. What is there to do out there?

Ummm not much actually. Shockingly we just get by doing whatever we do, ha ha.

Yah the LOTR line is a tad bit smaller then regular GW minis.

Well if you take this fig for example:

http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/Spider/sku-down/65082

There are those little points on the side? Those are measured at .5 inch increments.

Here is the sticky regarding the "Bryangles" as they are called.

http://www.reapermini.com/forum/index.php?/topic/36809-how-high-are-the-triangles/

See this also: http://www.reapermini.com/forum/index.php?/topic/2720-warlord-and-dark-heaven-model-scales/

Our Warlord models are the same size as any of our other brands' models. There are exceptions, of course, in all of our lines. That said, our minis play well with most other manufacturer's minis. Although Haldir is right...the GW LOTR minis are actually smaller than GW's other models.

If there are any specific models you're interested in mention them here and someone will come along and help out.

I don't really have dragons and trolls, but I'll help out with any spiders I have.

I am unfamiliar with GW's LOTR minis.

GW's LOTR minis are 24mm scale. They are slightly smaller because that was a condition in the contract between GW and the LOTR ip owner. Any larger models, such as Giant Spiders, Trolls, and Dragons from Reaper should work well. I would avoid using smaller humanoids minis as they will be a bit taller and may look out of scale.

Actually with the monsters being a larger scale, it can make for a more epic feel to the battle.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By lowlylowlycook
      A while back I made a travel set for Kings of War using 10mm minis.  Most of the models I used were definitely inspired by the Lord of the Rings and ever since I've been mulling the idea of doing a full scale game.

Recently my main gaming buddy and I went though a bad patch were we seemed to have no willpower to resist buying new games and taking on new projects.  Part of that fall from grace was my deciding to go ahead and buy some stuff.  You know  A few models. Maybe a few armies.  Just a bit.

Overall the plan is to use 100mmX50mm scenic bases.  The number of models on a base will be varied to bring out the "Last stand of Good against the overwhelming forces of evil" that is such a big theme of LotR.

For rules, since LotR is such a low magic setting, I'm looking at building up from some historical rules.  I like the looks of Sword and Spear for it's activation system but I should give Hail Caesar a try.  Kings of War is very easy to learn and plays fast so it could go over well as a convention game with some custom army lists.  Finally Pendraken has fantasy rules called Warband and there is already an unofficial LotR supplement.

Rohirrim, i.e. Copplestone's Horse Tribe 

Overall I plan to try and put as much static grass on the Rohirrim bases as possible.  

The cavalry will be in wedges, with the horse archers in loose formation.  

Shield wall and archer will be in two deep lines, possibly standing on a gentle ridge.

The Army of the Dead i.e. Pendraken's Late Romans 

I like the idea of these infantry standing ominously on top of barrows.   Rereading RotK, they should have cavalry as well but I haven't bought any yet.

Wood Elves i.e. Pendraken's Wood Elves

Pendraken's fantasy ranges are quite big for 10mm but then again elves are supposed to be tall.  I'm thinking that the bases will have to be leaf strew forest floor and I can make quite a few stumps and fallen logs with my Basius pad.  I tried to make an entire 100mmX50mm base our of greenstuff using the pad but I'm not convinced that's practical.

High Elves, i.e. Pendraken's High Elves

The spear elves  are in thin lines and I've tried to make the archers appear as if they are conducting organized volley fire.  I'm imagining the sword elves to be in very loose formation to give them room to slice and dice.

Dunlingdings i.e. Pendrakens Picts and Gauls

Because you can't always be fighting orcs.  They could also stand in for Wild men in other regions.

Front and center is a unit of elite, armored troops.  To the right large warbands of wild men.  To the left some naked berzerkers.  In the back javelin men.  Seem to have missed the archers.

Orcs i.e. Copplestone Orcs

Lots and lots of orcs

Ordinary orcs.  The close ups shows snagas or lesser goblins being driven forward by what will be whips.

Front Row: Warg riders with bows, Warg riders and wargs
      Behind them, Orc Archers, Uruk Archers, Uruks, Uruk Spears, Cave Trolls and Trolls. 

So that should be enough to keep me busy.  

• By Angrypantz
      Greetings everyone!

ive been looking at some of the reaper stuff for some time and want to know what miniatures scale best with Games Workshops LotR stuff. I want to avoid heroic scale miniatures for the time being just for personal preferences. 

Any and all help is greatly appreciated. 

Angrypantz
    • By Lidless Eye
      After backing it on Kickstarter, I was inspired by Nord Games "Revenge of the Horde" bestiary for D&D 5E.  I liked their very "The Hobbit" inspired cave Goblins...backwards underground isolated and mutated.

After some negotiations, I got a friend's old "Escape from Goblin Town" set, and put some paint to it.  They've been through a large number of flesh revamps, and the close-ups show the slightly gritty texture from a primer malfunction.  I'm happy with them overall, although I'm still not sure how I like the way their hair came out.

The Horde:

The Great Goblin himself.  I think he'd be useful as a Fomorian leader or the like.

Just Gobbos!

Wise Snot, you're not a mutant!  How did you sneak in here?

• By Lidless Eye
      Another recent project, some of the cave Goblins from The Hobbit's "Escape from Goblin Town" boxed set.

I had been looking for a set after getting Nord Game's "Revenge of the Horde" 5E monster manual.  Their obviously Peter Jackson inspired designs inspired me in turn:

A friend is planning a move and trying to downsize his collection, so his "Escape from Goblin Town" became mine.

Here's the first few:

And a close-up.  I may make them a bit more pallid:

cave a.bmp
    • By buckyball
      I didn't think to start posting these here until now. But this was the Mithril miniature I painted for February. It is called Tom Bombadil and the Badgers.

Old Tom Bombadil is a merry fellow; bright blue his jacket is, and his boots are yellow.

buckyball

• Who's Online   24 Members, 1 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)