• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#31 Nameless

Nameless

Godlike

• Members
  • 1089 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 01:04 AM

this one is cool. but I think I prefer the original dark maiden - it was more clear as for what it represented. this one is just a demon lady with wings made of wooden planks.
good sculpt, just not transferring the right image, if you know what I mean.
  • Goblyn likes this

banner_reaper.jpg

My minis -  Nameless Painter Blog / Chest of Colors gallery

------------------------------------------

Available for commissions

#32 TGP

TGP

The Great Pendrake

• Members
  • 1332 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 10:54 PM

This one is less shipwreck, more angel.

Looks great! I'm torn between the two. The original is more... boat-y.

It is only a matter of time until somebody tries combining: http://www.reapermin...P14106B_w_1.jpg with the new figurehead and the new wings ... someone more skilled than I .. ::(:.. to be sure.
The post with all the Scales. The post with Base Sizes.

/forum/index.php?/topic/25000-reapers-official-position-on-paint-and-proxy/#entry366031
/forum/index.php?/topic/31075-creating-freelance-armies/#entry463326

#33 xanderhook

xanderhook

Instigator

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 11:03 PM

Will the larger one, the 11.5" Resin kit, be available to purchase again? I would love to get that one and this one and paint them to compliment each other on the mantle.
No two ways about it.. Han shot first.

#34 Reaper Ron

Reaper Ron

Fantasy Brand Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 09:50 AM

Will the larger one, the 11.5" Resin kit, be available to purchase again? I would love to get that one and this one and paint them to compliment each other on the mantle.

*shakes crystal ball*

Answer uncertain. Try again later.

:poke:

There are no plans at this particular moment, but it is on the "to do" list.

Reaper Ron

"Weasling out of work is important to learn; it's what separates humans from animals. Except for weasels." - Homer Simpson

#35 Reaper Ron

Reaper Ron

Fantasy Brand Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 10:46 AM

A scale pic here: http://www.reapermin...etail/30016_w_2

Reaper Ron

"Weasling out of work is important to learn; it's what separates humans from animals. Except for weasels." - Homer Simpson

#36 xanderhook

xanderhook

Instigator

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 08:28 PM

*shakes crystal ball*

Answer uncertain. Try again later.

:poke:

There are no plans at this particular moment, but it is on the "to do" list.

Ron, you just made my day! Now to track down the surviving remote control shark and i will have an ocean scene in the den!!!

#37 Mad Jack

Mad Jack

Master

• Bones Supporter
  • 985 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 06:58 PM

Okay, I know what I'm buying myself for a birthday present... (Even if my b-day wasn't in August I'd still be buying it for my b-day present, lol)

#38 TheAuldGrump

TheAuldGrump

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 1162 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 06:28 PM

Both of the Dark Maidens are nice.... I have been using the older Maiden as a variant of a grey lady (from ghost lore - a bit like a banshee, typically targetting children and sailors).

The new version...? There has to be something that I can use her for, perhaps as an avatar of a goddess of storms, shipwrecks, and wreckers....

The Auld Grump
Si Tibi Narraremus Te Interficere Debemus

#39 xanderhook

xanderhook

Instigator

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 09:24 PM

So, i keep going here and looking: http://www.reapermin...ws/latest/30016 And wondering.. Release date? Or did i totally miss it? I even have notifications turned on!

#40 Reaperbryan

Reaperbryan

Living Miniature

• Reaper Peeps
  • 8642 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 07:38 AM

So, i keep going here and looking: http://www.reapermin...ws/latest/30016 And wondering.. Release date? Or did i totally miss it? I even have notifications turned on!

She releases Monday, 9/17. She has been shipped to retail and distribution customers, and will be made available then.

bryan@reapermini.com This post is 100% organic. No Artifical Spellcheck or Grammar Check was used in the manufacturing of this post. No Zombies were harmed in the making of this post.

#41 Jordan Peacock

Jordan Peacock

Uber-Mensch

• Bones Supporter
  • 624 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 08:12 AM

The new Dark Maiden is a very nice sculpt, but my preference is still for the old one, which I think really had a nice style, and really seemed to stay close to the original concept art. I liked that figure so much, I got (and painted up) TWO of them. ;D

The old one seemed to have a very clever look where I could imagine that the "wings" were really ripped right from the front of a ship, and the figure looked like a figurehead, well-incorporated into the ship's prow she was emerging from, with a twist of action and the wonderfully-incorporated chain and anchor. The figure itself was a lot of fun to paint up, especially with those laces on the front corset, and the delicate little details that continued from main body to "wings," so that it would look good even with just some washes and dry-brushing.

The new one of course still represents a level of skill that I can envy, but the humanoid form is comparatively broad-shouldered, awkward-looking, and seems to be just pasted onto the front of a cluster of boards, rather than distinctively being the FIGUREHEAD of a ship, per se. If I'd NEVER seen the original Dark Maiden, I would think of the concept, "Cool!"

But then, here's the concept art:

Posted Image

Now here's the new miniature:

Posted Image

Now here's the original:
Posted Image

The new figure is a great sculpt, but I'll personally stick with the original. There's just a lot more going on in there, and a much more faithful attempt to replicate the concept art (which I really like). The original Dark Maiden is one of my favorite Reaper miniatures.
  • psyberwolfe1 and thatguywiththeface like this

#42 thatguywiththeface

thatguywiththeface

Enlightened

• Bones Supporter
  • 448 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 03:47 AM

I really didn't want to be "that guy" (no offense Mr. Jones. figure of speech), but I agree with most of what Jordan said

I prefer the original.

Just because you're a gamer doesn't mean you have to smell like a dwarf

#43 Shakandara

Shakandara

God of All Things Cheesecake

• Black Lightning
  • 5883 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 11:20 AM

I like them both. I remember seeing the original Dark Maiden for the first time and thinking, "this is one of the coolest minis I have ever seen." However, I also like the new Maiden. I have no doubt I will get it, have it painted, and sometimes use her instead of the original when playing Razig.

~v

Shakandara.com

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users