Sign in to follow this  
Jordan Peacock

Reaper Weird West Minis

I've been painting up several Reaper Chronoscope and Savage Worlds minis for a future Deadlands Reloaded campaign. Here are three I finished today.

2012-05-28-chronoscope-jessemoonwalker-diamondsuedawson-mickeyodoul-deadlands-minis.jpg

From left to right:

* 50111 Diamond Sue Dawson, Cowgirl

* 50155 Mickey O'Doul, Wild West Bartender

* 50045 Jesse Moonwalker, Werewolf Tracker

All three of those are from the Chronoscope line, but they seemed like they'd work just fine for Deadlands -- and Jesse Moonwalker seems to particularly fit into the "weird west" genre. I was tempted to use the optional "cyber-arm" for Jesse, but then that would have made it all the more complicated when trying to find a suitable miniature for him when he's in his human form. I suppose I'd need to get an extra copy of the cyber-arm to slap onto the human mini ... and wouldn't shapeshifters have problems with artificial limbs? Also, particular to the Deadlands setting, I'd feel obliged to stick a ghost-rock boiler on poor Jesse's back, since that arm would need a power source. So, I stuck with the "natural" arm, and I'm holding onto that cyber-arm, as I'm sure there's some conversion I can make with it, where it would come in handy.

The only modification I made was for Jesse, where there was some sort of a casting issue on the right side of his muzzle (a mold line?), right on the lip-line, that I had to file down. In order to salvage things, I drilled a hole and inserted a piece of wire, to give him a cigar. Besides, I figure that helps to emphasize his role as a "civilized" werewolf who's able to use a shotgun, not one of your run-of-the-mill "goes berserk at the full moon" werewolves.

Diamond Sue Dawson's mini might also present some conversion opportunities in that her right arm is a separate piece. I'd have to find a suitable replacement first (or break out the wire and green putty), but I could imagine, say, putting a lasso in one hand, and then using some putty to add a handle to her holster (so it looks like she still has a gun, but it's not out and pointed at anyone's head right away).

• Like 18

I really like the way you painted Jesse, its fur and face are very nicely done.

The black and green lines on his vest are also adding more depth to the character.

Mickey Stained work coat stands out as well.

(Re: Instigator) - Thanks! I've been trying to add patterns to fabric, though it's a bit touchy, since I haven't the most steady of hands or the finest of brushes, so it requires a lot of going back-and-forth: I start painting a line, then I go back and try to clean up the blotches where the line ended up being thicker than intended or went off course, and so on. The base color was dark olive green, and I used a relatively translucent beige-colored paint for the lines, so that the contrast wouldn't be too stark; the beige lines ended up coming out just looking like a lighter, somewhat more muted shade of grey-green. For Jesse's fur, I started with a mid-tone grey, then gave it a wash of darker grey, then went back and dry-brushed it lighter grey again (after it dried), and then added details with brown and then black ... and then did some MORE touch-up with a lighter grey around the eyes and muzzle, giving him some grey "brows" in the process.

For the "stains" on Mickey's apron, I mixed some acrylic paint with water, dipped the brush in it, then daubed the brush until there was just a little on it, and speckled it on, then let it sit there while the surface tension still kept it in place, and the stains have a slightly darker edge to them to call them out. If I had added too much wash, the surface tension would have broken, and it would have just spread every which way.

I also have been painting up some more "steampunk"-oriented figures as well.

59015 Automatons (Savage Worlds)

2012-05-28-savage-worlds-automatons.jpg

I did a lot of "burnishing" on this one, starting with figures painted black, dry-brushed with a bronze-ish paint color, and then I went in to paint highlights with various shades of yellow, red, "terra cotta," and white. The top hat on the left robot is something I added with some leftover putty, "just because."

• Like 7

Thank you for the details, it is appreciated.

I like the glowing furnaces on your Automatons, it adds an evil side to them.

Nice work! I like the automatons in particular, and also the Huckster has great character, the poker chips add to the scene well.

(Re: Anne) Thanks! I like it when I get a chance to add "props" to an otherwise plain base. I figure it's a way to add more of a story rather than just basing my figures with dirt and grass, as I've typically done in the past.

Meanwhile, here's another attempt at painting a Savage Worlds mini:

2012-06-04-reaper-59003-dr-darius-hellstromme.jpg

This is #59003, Reaper's "Savage Worlds" Dr. Darius Hellstromme -- a major NPC in the background of the Deadlands universe, but I'll admit that I had a really rough time painting him. Part of it was that I was just a bit overly ambitious about my idea of having the figure be lit from below. My usual method of doing so works just fine if I'm starting with a dark figure and then adding directional highlights (light splash) to it; the first time I tried that trick was when I was painting up a Darth Vader mini for a Star Wars campaign, to get a bit of the red glow from the lightsaber "reflected" in the armor, and it worked great. The trouble is, this same trick DOES NOT work very well on lighter surfaces, because a color paint is not going to make white brighter. If I'd been serious about going all the way with the "lit from below" effect, I would have painted the whole figure dark, and just painted in illumination from below ... but it would have looked very strange standing on the table where most other figures are lit from above, and run the risk of making it look as if Dr. Darius Hellstromme was some sort of shadow-monster rather than a mad scientist standing triumphantly ("Mwahahahaha!") atop his latest infernal contraption.

So, I tried to compromise by painting the figure the fairly typical way, but making his jacket a darker leathery color and giving him a fairly dark facial tone, and just trying to HINT at a glow from below with some yellow-green brushing that tapers off in a way that isn't necessarily representative of how light would really operate. I struggled a few times with trying to paint the face "lit from below," because I really, REALLY wanted to get a "Vincent Price" look to Dr. Hellstromme's face, but the facial features on this figure were just too shallow for me to manage that. (This figure makes a GREAT mad scientist, but I'm sad to say that it doesn't make a very good Dr. Hellstromme, given the art precedent I've seen in the Deadlands books. The most I could manage was to make his eyebrows slightly crooked.)

I still haven't clear-coated this mini; I've been trying to work with it some more, and might well strip it and start over -- so frustrated have I been with trying to get the effect I want. I'll take consolation in that it's a learning experience.

-------------------------------------

By the way, can anyone recommend a miniature that would be suitable for representing "Jesse Moonwalker" in human form? Really, I think that Reaper simply ought to add a human Jesse Moonwalker to their Chronoscope line (I'd be curious to see what gets done with the cyber-arm option! ;) ), but failing that I'm willing to put up with a bit of conversion. (Part of the trouble, I guess, is that Jesse would have to be a PRETTY BIG GUY as a human to fit into that hat. It's huge!)

• Like 8

Okay, much later, I've attempted another go at Dr. Darius Hellstromme (#59003):

deadlands_mad_scientist___it_s_aliiiiive

The "forced light" thing just wasn't working for me.  Also, I decided to give him a mad experiment as a backdrop: that's courtesy of one of the male "blanks" from #75004 "Heroic Blanks" (apparently no longer available in the Reaper online store :( ), hooked up inside the "tank."  "It's alive! Aliiiiiiiive!"

Once again, Tropicana juice lids make a great decorative base/dais/doohickey for big critters or gizmos.

• Like 14

This thread is near and dear to my heart! These look great, and I love your use of lighting (fire, ghost rock glow, etc.) The clone tank (and werewolf cigar) are inspired. 

stagecoaches_at_the_occidental_hotel_by_

Here's a whole mess of them together in a street scene.  I used an Ertl "Cow Town" set of buildings for the businesses (with a bit of weathering), a couple of stagecoaches from Multiverse Gaming, terrain tiles from Secret Weapon Miniatures, various barrels and crates and such from Hirst Arts Castlemolds castings, and a couple of horses from "Moonstar" (HeroClix). 

I re-based almost all of my wild west minis from the 30mm "rounded lip" bases, over to 25mm round bases (in some cases slotta-bases, and in others inverted Reaper plastic 25mm rounds).  Fortunately, for my custom-sculpted putty bases, most of them I could just pry off of the 30mm round-lipped bases, and paste them wholesale onto 25mm bases, with a bit of putty gap-filler to ease the transition, rather than having to destroy it all and start from scratch.  Why'd I do that?  Because I've found from practice that the 30mm bases are a royal pain for positioning.  Somehow that extra 5mm makes a real difference when trying to squeeze minis into small scenery.  There are just so many places where a 25mm base will fit, but 30mm won't.

I took step-by-step pictures of my adventures assembling the two stagecoaches, as the instructions on the Multiverse Gaming site are a bit incomplete.  Once I get around to it, I hope to save notes of my missteps and discoveries while putting them together, in case they might be of use to anyone else tackling these kits.

Anyway, this scene shows a bunch of the miniatures and scenery bits I've been assembling for a scenario I'm going to run at Necronomicon Science-Fiction/Fantasy/Horror/Gaming convention in Tampa, Florida next weekend.  I'm running an adventure expanded from a scenario in "Frontier Towns: Fort Griffin" (Savage Worlds RPG) from Dog House Rules LLC.  I then plan to use the same buildings and a few swapped-out props for some other scenarios in different time periods (one involving a crossover between a "Scooby-Doo" type gang of teens and talking dog, and the retro-futuristic post-apocalyptic setting of the Fallout universe ... and another involving the busting of ghosts sometime in the late 1980s/early 1990s).  In one, the buildings will be for Dry Rock Gulch (a western-themed park at Nuka-World), and in the other, it'll be for a "Wild West Town" tourist trap that's been overrun by ghosts.  I might as well get some extra mileage out of the scenery, right?  :)

• Like 9