Frankthedm

How about having the customers pick what gets made with kickstarters?

57 posts in this topic

If Reaper didn't have the engine running already, I'd say kickstart it. I think Bryan summed it up nicely why it's not on the horizon for them.

I'll tell you, my own little miniatures venture is considering kickstarter for our next batch of models, but we are not anywhere as big as Reaper.

Why Reaper would pay kickstarter a fee to do something escapes me.

Is anyone else tempted to place an order for 2170?

Hell yeah. I looked at it hours ago and thought my life would not be complete without it.

I hope Bryan will come back in a week or three and tell us how many 2170s have been ordered this month. ;->

Wow, that sucker (2170) is ugly beyond comprehension.

I think I may have one in a box somewhere :lol:

Hell yeah. I looked at it hours ago and thought my life would not be complete without it.

You're a sick, sick man. ^_^

You want a real kickstarter project for Reaper? How about one to purchase the equipment to produce Bones in their facility.

1 person likes this

I can't imagine the headaches the EPA problems would cause trying to set up a plastics manufacturing facility in the states would cause.

Why? We have plastic manufacturing in the US right now.

Yeah, the company I work for does its own plastic injection molding, in TX even. It is just a really expensive start up cost and you really need very high volume to make it worthwhile.

Everything I've ever heard about injection molding agrees with the front-end costs being incredibly expensive, and I don't doubt it.

But on the flip side of that, if the start-up costs are so high, how do companies like Plastic Soldier Company and Mantic Games (both based in the UK) get their start? They were both little start-ups as far as I know, and hit the ground running with several offerings available right at the start. Even if the estimates I've been able to find are true and assuming they are using aluminum alloy molds which supposedly can be had for 5-10k each and last for 10-100k runs, that's still easily 6 figure start-up costs.

I don't get how they do it.

Well if Reaper needs the startup cash for in-house plastic molding... i can write a check RIGHT NOW for $5 to get things going :)

Heck, i might DOUBLE IT!!!

I would actually love to see Reaper controlling the manufacturing of the Bones figures. I know we would see a much faster turn around, and we could fill Martin's office with them.

Everything I've ever heard about injection molding agrees with the front-end costs being incredibly expensive, and I don't doubt it.

But on the flip side of that, if the start-up costs are so high, how do companies like Plastic Soldier Company and Mantic Games (both based in the UK) get their start? They were both little start-ups as far as I know, and hit the ground running with several offerings available right at the start. Even if the estimates I've been able to find are true and assuming they are using aluminum alloy molds which supposedly can be had for 5-10k each and last for 10-100k runs, that's still easily 6 figure start-up costs.

I don't get how they do it.

As I understand, as far as Mantic are concerned, they started out using another company for the moulding (Renedra Limited). They got their own gear and moved the casting in-house later on.

I knew Mantic used Renedra, but I hadn't heard that the brought it in-house. Either way though, initial costs must be high.

The EPA issues aren't issues. There are all sorts of non-toxic plastics that don't have any noxious outgassing.

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By KingMob
      Long time lurker, second time poster, first time upload.

Here is the Frost Giant Queen from the Reaper Bones 3 Kickstarter for your consideration. I was unable to participate in the Bones 3 Kickstarter as I came upon these Bones figures late in the game. However, the participants who were able placed their unwanted miniatures up on eBay, so I took advantage of opportunity when presented. I focused on Color Theory and Texture on this piece as she provided a very large palette to paint upon. These Giants provided me practice in sketching too, which makes the entire line appealing to me.

Side note: Gratitude to those who did place these minis up on eBay without jacking up the prices. I was able to purchase the both Frost Giant Royalty around cost of what Reaper will sell them at Retail. This certainly displays an ethos in the Reaper community that makes this community stand out among others. Further, having lurked for awhile: the community here is quite kind and helpful. This is a good community of miniature painters.

I like the Bones miniature range. The detail on this miniature was very close to what I expect from the metal range, and I will purchase more of the Bones range in the future. I am looking forward to the resculpt of Vanya, the Fire Giant Princess, and her new size to match the Fire Giants in D&D. The attire of this miniature is akin to the Viking attire of old, and I found my SCA ventures to assist me in painting this Viking Apron and embellishments. The sculptor did an outstanding job and I look forward to more of their work.

The FAQs were an asset that made my first foray into Bones an easier one. I had difficulty with flash lines until I picked up some diamond files, which handled them quite well without marring detail like my serrated files. The bent pieces were fixed with some boiling water and cold water quite easily. The pieces fit together like a glove, though I admit I still pinned them. (My OCD was tingling.) I did use Krylon as Primer, and the tackiness disappeared after the first coat of paint. She was sealed only with Krylon Dull Cote and exhibits no tackiness. She has been handled and there is no rubbing off of paint.

I like how her base was round, though I am ignorant of what would be an appropriate Reaper base to place this inside of. (I currently have the King on a GW Dreadnought base, and I do not like it. If anyone reads this and has a recommendation, I surely would appreciate it.)

This Bones line of miniatures has proven to me to be a Good Idea and one I will support. I am already purchasing more of the Bones 2 line for my D&D and Oldhammer alternatives, and I admit excitement at the new of Bones 4. Based on the quality of these miniatures: you will have an additional participant. Please keep up the outstanding quality and amazing work.

I hope you enjoy my efforts. C&C is always appreciated: it is the only way an Artist can improve.

May your blends be smooth.
      Peace and blessings.

• By Iron
      Hi friends:
      After hard months of working, we´ve improved the game Iron League Blacks Stadium and the art has changed. Mechs and miniatures are amazing now. The board game has a new full cooperative campaign with map, scenary and enemies generation.
      The competitive mode continues and has been improved.
      So, we also want to change the title of the game, and this is:
      IRON WARS
      In July on Kickstarter. Soon more news.

• By Carnacki the Ghost Finder
      Cthulhu Wars: Onslaught Three, featuring a faction called "The Ancients" has just been announced by Petersen Games, set to launch July 17th. 

EDIT: starts at 8 AM CST Monday July 17th.

• By Sylverthorne
      And now, for something completely different.

Yes, yes. I know. Not miniatures. But! Shiny! Art! With.. with .. with stuff. *Sage nod*
      The book part usually gets shipped with efficiency; medals and patches and things seem to depend on the efficiency of the crafter making them, but communication is good and things generally show up. I haven't grabbed hardbacks; I've been happy with the soft covers.
    • By Original Timmy
      28mm Modular Buildings Is Hayland Terrain's latest Kickstarter, to fund a range of Modern, Western, Steampunk & Wasteland modular buildings using the OpenLOCK connecting system for 3d printing.

It has been funded and has unlocked 3 stretch goals extra modern walls x3, New modern building style and the wild west bar accessory set, they are also getting close to unlocking the fantasy theme, the last Kickstarter items are also on offer.

Kickstarter link:

• Who's Online   21 Members, 1 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)