Frankthedm

How about having the customers pick what gets made with kickstarters?

57 posts in this topic

If Reaper didn't have the engine running already, I'd say kickstart it. I think Bryan summed it up nicely why it's not on the horizon for them.

I'll tell you, my own little miniatures venture is considering kickstarter for our next batch of models, but we are not anywhere as big as Reaper.

Why Reaper would pay kickstarter a fee to do something escapes me.

Is anyone else tempted to place an order for 2170?

Hell yeah. I looked at it hours ago and thought my life would not be complete without it.

I hope Bryan will come back in a week or three and tell us how many 2170s have been ordered this month. ;->

Wow, that sucker (2170) is ugly beyond comprehension.

I think I may have one in a box somewhere :lol:

Hell yeah. I looked at it hours ago and thought my life would not be complete without it.

You're a sick, sick man. ^_^

You want a real kickstarter project for Reaper? How about one to purchase the equipment to produce Bones in their facility.

1 person likes this

I can't imagine the headaches the EPA problems would cause trying to set up a plastics manufacturing facility in the states would cause.

Why? We have plastic manufacturing in the US right now.

Yeah, the company I work for does its own plastic injection molding, in TX even. It is just a really expensive start up cost and you really need very high volume to make it worthwhile.

Everything I've ever heard about injection molding agrees with the front-end costs being incredibly expensive, and I don't doubt it.

But on the flip side of that, if the start-up costs are so high, how do companies like Plastic Soldier Company and Mantic Games (both based in the UK) get their start? They were both little start-ups as far as I know, and hit the ground running with several offerings available right at the start. Even if the estimates I've been able to find are true and assuming they are using aluminum alloy molds which supposedly can be had for 5-10k each and last for 10-100k runs, that's still easily 6 figure start-up costs.

I don't get how they do it.

Well if Reaper needs the startup cash for in-house plastic molding... i can write a check RIGHT NOW for $5 to get things going :)

Heck, i might DOUBLE IT!!!

I would actually love to see Reaper controlling the manufacturing of the Bones figures. I know we would see a much faster turn around, and we could fill Martin's office with them.

Everything I've ever heard about injection molding agrees with the front-end costs being incredibly expensive, and I don't doubt it.

But on the flip side of that, if the start-up costs are so high, how do companies like Plastic Soldier Company and Mantic Games (both based in the UK) get their start? They were both little start-ups as far as I know, and hit the ground running with several offerings available right at the start. Even if the estimates I've been able to find are true and assuming they are using aluminum alloy molds which supposedly can be had for 5-10k each and last for 10-100k runs, that's still easily 6 figure start-up costs.

I don't get how they do it.

As I understand, as far as Mantic are concerned, they started out using another company for the moulding (Renedra Limited). They got their own gear and moved the casting in-house later on.

I knew Mantic used Renedra, but I hadn't heard that the brought it in-house. Either way though, initial costs must be high.

The EPA issues aren't issues. There are all sorts of non-toxic plastics that don't have any noxious outgassing.