Photo

How about having the customers pick what gets made with kickstarters?

kickstarter

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
56 replies to this topic

#16 joshuaslater

joshuaslater

CareBear

• Bones Supporter
  • 6462 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 09:44 PM

If Reaper didn't have the engine running already, I'd say kickstart it. I think Bryan summed it up nicely why it's not on the horizon for them.

I'll tell you, my own little miniatures venture is considering kickstarter for our next batch of models, but we are not anywhere as big as Reaper.

Why Reaper would pay kickstarter a fee to do something escapes me.
A miniature venture of mine: http://www.cauldronbornminiatures.com

#17 Humansquish

Humansquish

Rauthuros

• Bones Supporter
  • 1909 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 10:16 PM

Is anyone else tempted to place an order for 2170?

"The battle between Minis I Want and Money That Needs Not To Be Spent is eternal, and wearies the soul."--Nanite

"you don't buy miniatures to paint, rather you buy miniatures to daydream about painting and that you like to daydream a lot!" Ed Pugh

#18 joshuaslater

joshuaslater

CareBear

• Bones Supporter
  • 6462 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 10:25 PM

Hell yeah. I looked at it hours ago and thought my life would not be complete without it.
A miniature venture of mine: http://www.cauldronbornminiatures.com

#19 Wren

Wren

Godlike

• Artists
  • 2077 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 10:55 AM

I hope Bryan will come back in a week or three and tell us how many 2170s have been ordered this month. ;->

#20 Qwyksilver

Qwyksilver

Tubby Guinness Fairy

• 14688 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 11:45 AM

Wow, that sucker (2170) is ugly beyond comprehension.

I think I may have one in a box somewhere :lol:

Sacrificing minions: is there any problem it CAN'T solve?

- Lord Xykon, OotS #192

Beowulf ll. 1538-1543
... Pay no heed to proud thoughts, famous champion. Now the flowering of your strength is but for a while. After a while, the time will suddenly come that disease or the sword's edge will cut off your power. Either fire's grasp or flood's surge or blade's bite or spear's flight. Or vicious age, or the flash of your eyes will gutter and burn out! It will be all at once, great campaigner, that death will overpower you.

It's terrifying!  Without enough caffeine your body undergoes these hours of partial paralysis and hallucinations! :shudder:

- Argentee

Black Lightning: MA010.

#21 Reaperbryan

Reaperbryan

Living Miniature

• Reaper Peeps
  • 9626 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:09 AM

Hell yeah. I looked at it hours ago and thought my life would not be complete without it.

You're a sick, sick man. ^_^

bryan@reapermini.com This post is 100% organic. No Artifical Spellcheck or Grammar Check was used in the manufacturing of this post. No Zombies were harmed in the making of this post.

#22 Heisler

Heisler

Auctioneer at Large

• Auctioneer
  • 6257 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:28 AM

You want a real kickstarter project for Reaper? How about one to purchase the equipment to produce Bones in their facility.
  • Qwyksilver likes this
* It's NOT denial. I'm just very selective about the reality I accept. -- Calvin (Calvin and Hobbes)
* Cry havoc, and let slip the dogs of war - Shakespeare's Julius Caeser
* Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.
* We occasionally stumble over the truth but most of us pick ourselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened. Winston Churchill
* Tardis Express: When it absolutely, positively, has to be there yesterday
* Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more, ... - Shakespeare's Henry V
* My two hobby blog; Wargames and Railroads

#23 Qwyksilver

Qwyksilver

Tubby Guinness Fairy

• 14688 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:13 PM

I can't imagine the headaches the EPA problems would cause trying to set up a plastics manufacturing facility in the states would cause.

Sacrificing minions: is there any problem it CAN'T solve?

- Lord Xykon, OotS #192

Beowulf ll. 1538-1543
... Pay no heed to proud thoughts, famous champion. Now the flowering of your strength is but for a while. After a while, the time will suddenly come that disease or the sword's edge will cut off your power. Either fire's grasp or flood's surge or blade's bite or spear's flight. Or vicious age, or the flash of your eyes will gutter and burn out! It will be all at once, great campaigner, that death will overpower you.

It's terrifying!  Without enough caffeine your body undergoes these hours of partial paralysis and hallucinations! :shudder:

- Argentee

Black Lightning: MA010.

#24 Heisler

Heisler

Auctioneer at Large

• Auctioneer
  • 6257 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:48 PM

Why? We have plastic manufacturing in the US right now.
* It's NOT denial. I'm just very selective about the reality I accept. -- Calvin (Calvin and Hobbes)
* Cry havoc, and let slip the dogs of war - Shakespeare's Julius Caeser
* Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.
* We occasionally stumble over the truth but most of us pick ourselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened. Winston Churchill
* Tardis Express: When it absolutely, positively, has to be there yesterday
* Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more, ... - Shakespeare's Henry V
* My two hobby blog; Wargames and Railroads

#25 TaleSpinner

TaleSpinner

Sculptor of Stories

• Bones Supporter
  • 4724 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 06:27 AM

Yeah, the company I work for does its own plastic injection molding, in TX even. It is just a really expensive start up cost and you really need very high volume to make it worthwhile.
Some tales are better left for the light of day.

My Website: www.talespinnerminis.com

#26 Baphomet69

Baphomet69

The Big Boner

• Bones Supporter
  • 2513 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 07:11 AM

Everything I've ever heard about injection molding agrees with the front-end costs being incredibly expensive, and I don't doubt it.

But on the flip side of that, if the start-up costs are so high, how do companies like Plastic Soldier Company and Mantic Games (both based in the UK) get their start? They were both little start-ups as far as I know, and hit the ground running with several offerings available right at the start. Even if the estimates I've been able to find are true and assuming they are using aluminum alloy molds which supposedly can be had for 5-10k each and last for 10-100k runs, that's still easily 6 figure start-up costs.

I don't get how they do it.
"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
John Stuart Mill
English economist & philosopher (1806 - 1873)

#27 xanderhook

xanderhook

Instigator

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 09:56 AM

Well if Reaper needs the startup cash for in-house plastic molding... i can write a check RIGHT NOW for $5 to get things going :)
Heck, i might DOUBLE IT!!!

I would actually love to see Reaper controlling the manufacturing of the Bones figures. I know we would see a much faster turn around, and we could fill Martin's office with them.
No two ways about it.. Han shot first.

#28 Dai-Mongar

Dai-Mongar

Uber-Mensch

• Bones Supporter
  • 657 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 06:32 AM

Everything I've ever heard about injection molding agrees with the front-end costs being incredibly expensive, and I don't doubt it.

But on the flip side of that, if the start-up costs are so high, how do companies like Plastic Soldier Company and Mantic Games (both based in the UK) get their start? They were both little start-ups as far as I know, and hit the ground running with several offerings available right at the start. Even if the estimates I've been able to find are true and assuming they are using aluminum alloy molds which supposedly can be had for 5-10k each and last for 10-100k runs, that's still easily 6 figure start-up costs.

I don't get how they do it.

As I understand, as far as Mantic are concerned, they started out using another company for the moulding (Renedra Limited). They got their own gear and moved the casting in-house later on.

#29 Baphomet69

Baphomet69

The Big Boner

• Bones Supporter
  • 2513 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 06:40 AM

I knew Mantic used Renedra, but I hadn't heard that the brought it in-house. Either way though, initial costs must be high.
"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
John Stuart Mill
English economist & philosopher (1806 - 1873)

#30 kit

kit

The fine line between stupid and clever

• Super Administrators
  • 10043 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 10:32 PM

The EPA issues aren't issues. There are all sorts of non-toxic plastics that don't have any noxious outgassing.

“If you asked people in 1989 what they needed to make their life better, it was unlikely that they would have said that a decentralized network of information nodes that are linked using hypertext.” - Sep Kamvar

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: kickstarter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users