Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
72moonglum

the gnome-athon continues little by little

16 posts in this topic

So my quest to paint more gnomes continues, even though it's a very slow process as I don't seem to have so much time to paint at the moment. Here's one I got finished I think last weekend, an old gnome illusionist from TSR. Not the most excellent figure ever sculpted, but I think he's a fun one. More gnomes to follow!

I keep thinking too about having a frost giant-athon, but that would probably take a lot longer...

post-1758-0-68664000-1342131182.jpg

16 people like this

I have that guy... the gnome illusionist from TSR's Magic-Users & Illusionists set.

I've been intending to repaint it lately.

kinda has a Larry Elmore look to him, nice.

RM

1 person likes this

When I first was playing AD&D, Gnomes were my go-to character choice.

1 person likes this

I'm not familiar with the figure, but nice work! I really like the static grass and rocks on the base, too.

1 person likes this

I have that guy... the gnome illusionist from TSR's Magic-Users & Illusionists set.

I've been intending to repaint it lately.

I'd say paint him up! There's also one from the TSR Thieves and something or other set that's a gnome thief with a dagger in one hand and little treasure chest in the other. That's my next one, just need to figure out his colors and find the time to paint him.

Very Nice. I had never seen this mini back then, but of course I did not pay a lot of attention to gnomes when I gamed. I did eventually buy a later version gnome illusionist and ended up painting him and selling him in an adventuring party I painted up and put on eBay. This guy is kind of yard gnomey looking and in the setting you have him in, it works.

1 person likes this

Oh yeah, the TSR gnomes were particularly gawky. I had the TSR bards set, and the gnome bard in that one had such a large head he looked almost like a character mug.

These really are nicely done examples of tiny, tiny figures.

1 person likes this

Way back in the days of yore, there really weren't many miniatures you could use to play gnomes with.  There were a few Grenadier ones and a smattering of Partha ones as well.  I like how Reaper has added a sizable inventory of gnomes to their repertoire, and I'm hugely enamored with the Stonehaven figures as well!

2 people like this

Oh yeah, the TSR gnomes were particularly gawky. I had the TSR bards set, and the gnome bard in that one had such a large head he looked almost like a character mug.

These really are nicely done examples of tiny, tiny figures.

Was it this one?

post-1758-0-91475400-1420597302.jpg

Edited by 72moonglum
7 people like this

Ahhh, my old gnome!

Infinitely better painted, but definitely my old gnome.

Is his knife dangerously thin? I recall those old TSR sculpts had ludicrously thin weapon blades.

1 person likes this

Yeah, it's ludicrously thin.  Somebody was thinking probably about sizes and proportions of blades, which I admire them for, but they would have been better off thinking more about the actual sculpting technique of their figures and the practicality of having a blade that would virtually bend in a light breeze.  Having said that though I really do like these figures!

1 person likes this

What a gnometastic day, well done on this moon

1 person likes this

This guy looks great!

Don't worry about it being a slow process. 

Sometimes, with gnomes, you have to do things in small steps.

Edited by Tallghost
1 person likes this