Posted 26 September 2012 - 06:53 AM
Failcast is a reference to GW's Finecast resin that they have shifted to . They replaced all of their metal miniatures with resin, indicated that this reduced their production costs and promptly did their yearly upward price adjustment. Overall the resin itself is not bad although they really needed something a bit tougher. I have seen Youtube videos of miniatures literally bending like plastic when left in the sun. It has no more pitting than any other resin, although since the vast majority of their customer base had never bought resin this caused a lot of consternation. However, the QA on this stuff is terrible and I would say, on an anecdotal basis mind you, that almost 1 in 4 castings is actually miscast in someway. Getting a replacement is easy enough through customer service but getting a good replacement seems to be very difficult. It seems if a mini is miscast then every copy of that mini is miscast. Hence the term Failcast.
* It's NOT denial. I'm just very selective about the reality I accept. -- Calvin (Calvin and Hobbes)
* Cry havoc, and let slip the dogs of war - Shakespeare's Julius Caeser
* Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.
* We occasionally stumble over the truth but most of us pick ourselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened. Winston Churchill
* Tardis Express: When it absolutely, positively, has to be there yesterday
* Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more, ... - Shakespeare's Henry V
* My two hobby blog; Wargames and Railroads