Bones Kickstarter

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4140 replies to this topic

#3451 Zarabear

Zarabear

• Bones Supporter
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 09:40 AM

Hello everyone! First post here on the forums.

I am a homeschool mom, and while taking my son out to do some donations to a local shelter, we stopped by when my son spotted a local game store. He was enchanted the moment we walked through the door. The staff of the shop, took their time and showed him the miniatures and various ones they had worked on there at the store. They took the time to explain between enamel and acrylic paints (He's done a few ships/car model with his dad over the past year). He's always been keen on detail work, and he walked out of the shop as the proud owner of his first mini. (77013- Minotaur- Bones)

They also let him know about the kickstarter project. He came home, and decided to investigate. He's turning 10 on Sept 10th, and he made a presentation to me and his dad on why he wanted to ask for the Vampire level contribution on the kickstarter for his birthday.

So now, he'll be eagerly awaiting the initial shipment in Sept, with the whole winter to work on his miniature painting skills in anticipation of the larger shipment in March. And that is how I came to be on the Reaper mini forums and posting in this thread. Hello!

~Zara
  • smokingwreckage, Dr.Bedlam, ladystorm and 12 others like this

#3452 Thes Hunter

Thes Hunter

Associate Bachelor Master, Esquireâ„¢

• Bones Supporter
  • 2619 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 09:42 AM

It's gotta be a 'venti' sized cup... I need my mounds of caffiene, and I need my coffee mugs deep to hold it.

Amateur.

*adjusts IV drip*

Studies have shown IV caffiene administration increases mortality and morbidy across all age groups, while decreasing it's half-life. Other studies suggest that oral administration improves outcomes and is more efficacious, though the exact mechanism has yet to be elucidated. :poke:

----

As for the goal... maybe I'm being a bit of a nit picker, given how many awesome things you guys at Reaper are doing for us all, but maybe we could have the 2.84 Necromancer goal being marked as achieved. Pretty please? Thankies. :wub:

----

Aw Zara, that's so cute! He sounds like he has a great mom who is helping mold him into such a well mannered (geeky) little gentleman.
  • psyberwolfe1 and Zarabear like this

#3453 Dragon Snack

Dragon Snack

Godlike

• Black Lightning
  • 3513 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 09:44 AM

Actually, how are the pdfs going to work for the Undertaker level? Is there a way we can sell them or will they be marked with the stores name?
A stroke of the brush does not guarantee art from the bristles...

Visit Dragon Snack Games! The best game store in Mt Morris, NY!

#3454 groovymunki

groovymunki

• Bones Supporter
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 09:44 AM

I'm I the only coffee nerd here? I'm hoping for a coffee mug - since I see a lot of late night painting in my future. Gonna need my gogo juice.

It's gotta be a 'venti' sized cup... I need my mounds of caffiene, and I need my coffee mugs deep to hold it.

Amateur.

*adjusts IV drip*

There is nothing more I would enjoy than a cup of Aged Sumatra in my imaginary coffee cup.

#3455 Doug's Workshop

Doug's Workshop

Instigator

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 09:45 AM

Welcome, Zarabear. Thanks for joining our community. And thanks for letting your son join in this hobby.
  • Zarabear likes this
Doug's Blog
Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.
This is known as "bad luck." - R. Heinlein as Lazarus Long

#3456 smokingwreckage

smokingwreckage

Gawdlike!!

• Bones Supporter
  • 11414 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 09:46 AM

Hi Zara!
  • Zarabear likes this

It's the perfect time to put on  your yellow boots and go meandering around the woods looking for...well stuff. In my experience looking for stuff is the best way to find it. -Loim

#3457 badocter

badocter

Uber-Mensch

• Bones Supporter
  • 513 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 09:50 AM

I am a homeschool mom, and while taking my son out to do some donations to a local shelter, we stopped by when my son spotted a local game store. He was enchanted the moment we walked through the door. The staff of the shop, took their time and showed him the miniatures and various ones they had worked on there at the store. They took the time to explain between enamel and acrylic paints (He's done a few ships/car model with his dad over the past year). He's always been keen on detail work, and he walked out of the shop as the proud owner of his first mini. (77013- Minotaur- Bones)

They also let him know about the kickstarter project. He came home, and decided to investigate. He's turning 10 on Sept 10th, and he made a presentation to me and his dad on why he wanted to ask for the Vampire level contribution on the kickstarter for his birthday.

So now, he'll be eagerly awaiting the initial shipment in Sept, with the whole winter to work on his miniature painting skills in anticipation of the larger shipment in March. And that is how I came to be on the Reaper mini forums and posting in this thread. Hello!

~Zara

Great story ! Have him check out the youtubes by "GirlPainting" to learn some of the tips and tricks. A can of quickshade strong is also a good investment and the dip/shake method can let even a beginner get a good shading effect: http://www.thearmypa...y.php?videoid=2
  • Kay and Zarabear like this

#3458 bkjohns96

bkjohns96

Instigator

• Bones Supporter
  • 112 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 09:54 AM

I like the PDFs! I would love to see some of the Warlords rule sets in PDFs.
  • Adrift likes this

#3459 kericmason

kericmason

Rabble Rouser

• Members
  • Pip
  • 58 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 09:54 AM

~Zara

Welcome, and I hope your son finds the hobby very fulfilling :)

I don't know what your plans are for the miniatures beyond painting them, but you may consider running a role-playing game for him, and some friends. The imagination, and math that are involved can make for a wonderful, and educational experience. As his parent you can present him with fun adventures, puzzles, and give him the fun of using the models he has painted.

But painting alone is still a very valid hobby in and of itself :)

Eric

#3460 ladystorm

ladystorm

Reaper Mom

• Super Administrators
  • 7485 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 09:57 AM

Reaper's Bones Kickstarter just blew past the #4 Highest Funded Kickstarter. (Wasteland 2 = $2,933,252)
  • Wren likes this

Efficiency is intelligent laziness.

#3461 buglips*the*goblin

buglips*the*goblin

Emperor of The Moon

• Forum Mascot
  • 12330 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 10:00 AM

Amateur.

*adjusts IV drip*

Studies have shown IV caffiene administration increases mortality and morbidy across all age groups, while decreasing it's half-life. Other studies suggest that oral administration improves outcomes and is more efficacious, though the exact mechanism has yet to be elucidated. :poke:

Increased morbidity? I don't know what you're . . . AAayghhhKKKK!

*clutches heart*
*pupils dilate*

Talking about, lady, I'm perfectly

Gaaahhhhkkkkksssspppttt!

*thud*
  • psyberwolfe1 likes this