Photo

Does anyone else keep checking the KICKSTARTER website?

kickstarter

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
87 replies to this topic

#61 Baphomet69

Baphomet69

The Big Boner

• Bones Supporter
  • 2516 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 09:22 AM

Unfortunately, if you don't go through KS/Amazon, your pledge won't count toward the goals, and I haven't seen anywhere that Reaper will accept checks or PayPal for this.

I can't comment on the pre-aid cards, however as I've never used one.
"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
John Stuart Mill
English economist & philosopher (1806 - 1873)

#62 kristof65

kristof65

Captain of the Sky Pirates

• Bones Supporter
  • 6791 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 09:31 AM

Just another 4000 till the next update (at 235k). ::D:

On those prepaid mastercards.. do you have to pay any sort of extra fee? Can you get one with about $500, spend it, and then pretty much toss the card?

It depends on where you buy it from. Stay away from the ones at Walmart - they essentially make you setup a non-free checking account to use them. Got one for a gift one time, and it was a freaking major headache to finally use the money on the card. Read the terms and conditions carefully of any other of the "off the rack" ones you see at other stores.

The best sources for something like this are Credit Unions. Most of the time they're free or very cheap to set up for higher dollar amounts. If you're not a credit union member, typically if you know someone who is, they can set the account up for you. However, there may be a wait to get the card, so be careful on that front.

My Blog - Warming: May be political

Please check out my wife's Stained Glass page:
KAH Designs

[font="'comic sans ms', cursive;"]Member of the ReaperBryan Fan Club.[/font]

#63 Pally

Pally

Enlightened

• Bones Supporter
  • 434 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 02:14 PM

On their facebook post: Matthew Paul Clark We are working on some sort of solution to this problem... I'll get back with you.

I'll bug em again about it when there's less than 15 days left to pledge. Hate to bug em much right now about it. Besides, I should be moving soon so I might need to have the minis shipped to a different address anyways.

Edit: Besides, I'm sure they'd want to include anyone who frequently uses their online store. They have a paypal option for their store, so why not include it in this as well? It will probably be an option near the end of the kickstarter.. though I wish I could contribute to the total.

Credit cards just don't agree with me. I don't like the idea of all the red tape, commitments, interest, etc..

#64 kit

kit

The fine line between stupid and clever

• Super Administrators
  • 10046 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 08:15 PM

Kickstarter doesn't care if we send a link to paypal to our users, but you're right, it doesn't contribute to the overall goal.

We'll have something that will appeal to you at the end of the campaign.

But for obvious reasons, we would prefer that people who can pledge do. It helps us and everyone else who pledges.

“If you asked people in 1989 what they needed to make their life better, it was unlikely that they would have said that a decentralized network of information nodes that are linked using hypertext.” - Sep Kamvar

#65 HeadClot88

HeadClot88

Rabble Rouser

• Members
  • Pip
  • 61 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 08:23 PM

If I can give you guys a bit of advice do not use Paypal for pre orders. If you receive/make X amount of money withing Y amount of time your Paypal account will be locked up.

Use Google Check out or something else. I do not want this to happen to reaper Miniatures.

#66 kit

kit

The fine line between stupid and clever

• Super Administrators
  • 10046 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 09:00 PM

If I can give you guys a bit of advice do not use Paypal for pre orders. If you receive/make X amount of money withing Y amount of time your Paypal account will be locked up.

No worries. PayPal wants to keep our business. They told me so.

“If you asked people in 1989 what they needed to make their life better, it was unlikely that they would have said that a decentralized network of information nodes that are linked using hypertext.” - Sep Kamvar

#67 HeadClot88

HeadClot88

Rabble Rouser

• Members
  • Pip
  • 61 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 09:16 PM

No worries. PayPal wants to keep our business. They told me so.

Good to hear!

Just I Stray on the side of caution... When it comes to pay pal at least.

As I get deeper and deeper into Kickstarter-ism (Yes it is almost a religion now)
I have to ask when will Reaper take my money?!

Reaper mini's this is aimed at you!

Posted Image

Take it all Dang it!

You did not take enough of MY money!

I know what I pledged! Just take more! I need my toy soldiers and monsters!

My life is complete! :upside:

In all seriousness - Reaper keep up the AWESOME work -
Keep your prices low for the average Joe gamer and Keep churning out those awesome minis and you will keep my business.

#68 kpsmith

kpsmith

Rabble Rouser

• Bones Supporter
  • 65 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 09:39 PM

Wow, the Kickstarter exploded in the last... Since I went to bed.
"We sleep peaceably in our beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on our behalf." -George Orwell

#69 Pally

Pally

Enlightened

• Bones Supporter
  • 434 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 10:44 PM

-- it doesn't contribute to the overall goal.
We'll have something that will appeal to you at the end of the campaign.
But for obvious reasons, we would prefer that people who can pledge do. It helps us and everyone else who pledges.

Kinda reading between the lines there, and the after campaign deal sounds good, but not as good as the KS campaign itself. I guess that's expected though.
Maybe I can convince a friend to let me use their debit card on Amazon. Then I could cancel the account after I get the last minis.

#70 MonkeySloth

MonkeySloth

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 5707 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 11:12 PM

just get a prepaid visa from the grocery store with the amount you want to spend and once it's gone it's gone. Problem solved and no having to drag a friend into money issues.

@monkeysloth

New: Current Contest and Active Ribbon list | My Tutorial List and WIP Thread

I never thought I'd write this...but I agree with MonkeySloth on this one. ~ Adrift

#71 Pally

Pally

Enlightened

• Bones Supporter
  • 434 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 03:19 AM

Which card brand would be the most trustworthy from a grocery store?

#72 Reaperbryan

Reaperbryan

Living Miniature

• Reaper Peeps
  • 10321 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 08:10 AM

I'd trust any of the major Visa/MC/AMex, but watch where you get it - you want to avoid ones with fees or contracts.

bryan@reapermini.com

This post is 100% organic. No Artifical Spellcheck or Grammar Check was used in the manufacturing of this post. No Zombies were harmed in the making of this post.

~His High Gameliness, the Most Reverend and Inscrutable, Space Pope Bryanzilla I

#73 DixonGrfx

DixonGrfx

Uber-Mensch

• Bones Supporter
  • 627 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 08:19 AM

Contact your local bank branches and see if any of them sell American Express or Visa gift cards to non-members. You'll pay a premium upfront for them, but they are a universaly accepted at any retailer that accepts Amx or Visa. At bank I worked at we sold gift cards to members at a better fee than non-members, but we did sell them to anyone.

#74 psyberwolfe1

psyberwolfe1

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 2241 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 08:57 AM

There are two types of cards: Pre-paid and Gift. Pre-paid are unofficial checking accounts with lots of hidden fees. The benefit is they can be reloaded and usually have a lower up front fee. Gift Cards OTOH have a one time up front fee and after that the money is on the card until it is gone. Some Gift Cards will start charging maintainence fees if the money isn't gone within a year or two, so just use the card up as soon as possible. Always get gift cards, not pre-paid cards if you're trying to live without debit/credit cards.

2014 Painting Goal: 6 Figures/ 36 Painted as of 01/22/2014

For other Wargame and miniature related stuff you can read my blog at http://tacticalrock.blogspot.com

Does anybody else find it odd, by the way, that the information age has led to language becoming an oblique and imprecise tool where even the most straightforward phrasing is pored over with chicken entrails and bone tossing to divine the true meaning?

... nobody remembers Slave Leia because, "Oh my gosh! What innovative use of bronze."

Meep.jpg

#75 MonkeySloth

MonkeySloth

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 5707 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 11:23 AM

I'd trust any of the major Visa/MC/AMex, but watch where you get it - you want to avoid ones with fees or contracts.

Get one of the Giftcards from those brands, they don't have fees that I'm aware of.

@monkeysloth

New: Current Contest and Active Ribbon list | My Tutorial List and WIP Thread

I never thought I'd write this...but I agree with MonkeySloth on this one. ~ Adrift

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: kickstarter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users