• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 Metalchaos

Metalchaos

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 1199 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 12:25 AM

I like Monsters and since I couldn’t find much painted version of Bob Olley’s 02564 Giant Scarab Beetle on the forum or the Internet, I decided to not only paint one, but also convert it so it will be very original.

You’ll see on the first photo, I want to make it like it's flying or at least taking off. To do that, I filled the bottom part inner body with green stuff and sculpted the abdomen and metathorax. I cutted the top part shell to form the "elytra" forewings.

As for the hind wings, I first wanted to make them using transparent plastic sheets. But, since the material I found was too thin and very easy to scratch, I choose to use P02744B Cichastuc Wings.

02564 Giant Scarab Beetle 1.jpg
  • captenglish and Jordan Peacock like this

#2 Nocturne

Nocturne

King of the North

• Members
  • 3119 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 01:46 AM

Looking good so far, I'd like to see how this one goes.

@nocturnerose

Currently procrastinating

#3 Metalchaos

Metalchaos

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 1199 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 08:24 PM

I cleaned the wings and formed them so they will fit right behind the elytra.
Then, to get a preview at the final result, I used adhesive putty to hold the wings in place.
I’ll paint the four parts separately before assembling them so I’ll be able to reach for all the details.

02564 Giant Scarab Beetle 02.jpg

#4 Baphomet69

Baphomet69

The Big Boner

• Bones Supporter
  • 2513 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 05:23 AM

If you were feeling adventurous, you could make molds of the wings and cast them in clear resin...

:)
"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
John Stuart Mill
English economist & philosopher (1806 - 1873)

#5 chaosscorpion

chaosscorpion

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 1246 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 11:54 AM

When you first started this thread I thought of a wire frame work for the wings dipped in a clear resin or I saw a post that worked for windows using a pva glue. Looks interesting so far. I am now thinking about modifing a couple of figs along with starting up my paint table again.

Life is Chaos... So Enjoy Life

ks_banner_bones_2_core_set.gif

#6 Metalchaos

Metalchaos

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 1199 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 12:11 AM

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Clear resin would be a nice idea but I don’t really feel comfortable working with this material. Moreover, since I intend to sell this mini afterward, I don’t want to reproduce Cichastuc’s wings in resin and get into copyright violation. I’ll simply use Reaper parts to make it fully authentic.

While I was looking for inspiration, I also liked Froggy the Great idea who used plastic knives for its Clockwork Dragonfly Automaton wings.

02564 Giant Scarab Beetle 03.jpg

02564 Giant Scarab Beetle 04.jpg
  • chaosscorpion likes this

#7 MonkeySloth

MonkeySloth

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 5331 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 12:25 AM

That's an impressive mod you've got going. I really don't care for bugs at all, nasty things, but I get enthralled by your WIP threads.

@monkeysloth

New: Current Contest and Active Ribbon list | My Tutorial List and WIP Thread

I never thought I'd write this...but I agree with MonkeySloth on this one. ~ Adrift

#8 Metalchaos

Metalchaos

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 1199 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 12:48 AM

I didn't have much time to paint or to work on my WIP lately.
I've only drawn two sketches of a base that I think could be nice for the Giant Scarab to fly from.
A stone platform would also make a nice base, I'm just not sure yet of what I'll end up choosing.

02564 Giant Scarab Beetle 05.jpg

02564 Giant Scarab Beetle 06.jpg

#9 chaosscorpion

chaosscorpion

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 1246 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 05:50 AM

The wings are nicely placed. The sketch for the base looks good, I am looking forward to watching this WIP progress.

#10 Metalchaos

Metalchaos

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 1199 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 12:47 AM

Okay, since the diorama category has to contain more than one figure to enter the Monsters contest, I chose to add some Imps to my project. I had these three 02197, Blood Imps sculpted by Rene Perez who were just ready for Giant Scarab hunting.

To make the story more realistic, one of the Imps has to be killed during battle. So, I modified the one with two swords so that he looks like the casualty. Sound like a possible scenario, no?

The challenge now is to put all this action on a 2 inches (50mm) square base.

02564 Giant Scarab Beetle 07.jpg

#11 chaosscorpion

chaosscorpion

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 1246 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 02:58 PM

Metalchaos is the base tile metal?

#12 Metalchaos

Metalchaos

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 1199 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 05:48 PM

Metalchaos is the base tile metal?

Not quite, actually it's a 6mm thick aluminum plate that was cut with a shear.

#13 Metalchaos

Metalchaos

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 1199 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 06:45 PM

Today, I drilled a hole in the tree trunk to pass a rigid wire through it. In fact, I used a hanger as a pin so the support will be very strong. The scarab is not that heavy, but I want the diorama to be solid. I still need to add some more branches on the tree to accommodate the giant insect legs.

02564 Giant Scarab Beetle 08.jpg

02564 Giant Scarab Beetle 09.jpg

02564 Giant Scarab Beetle 10.jpg

#14 Metalchaos

Metalchaos

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 1199 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 11:19 AM

I added a set of branch to support the back legs of the scarab and I disposed the Imps on the base to see if I’ll have enough room to fit them all in. The two last pictures show the scarab upside down but it won't display like this.

02564 Giant Scarab Beetle 11.jpg

02564 Giant Scarab Beetle 12.jpg

02564 Giant Scarab Beetle 13.jpg

#15 buglips*the*goblin

buglips*the*goblin

Emperor of The Moon

• Forum Mascot
  • 11289 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 12:54 PM

Awesome!

I AM MASCOT NOW!

I AM MASCOT NOW!