Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
72moonglum

TSR Gnome Thief - the gnome-athon continues

21 posts in this topic

So as I keep painting gnomes, here's the next one up. This one is an old TSR gnome thief, when TSR came up with a pretty short-lived line of figures. I actually like the figure, even though the details on the figures aren't so magnificent neither by today's or yesteryear's standards, but it once again is a nice little figure with a lot of personality.

post-1758-0-13369500-1344191294.jpg

9 people like this

I wound up with a pile of those old early-80's TSR miniatures still in blister and most of them were quite horrid.

I'm very much impressed that you made one look so good.

Last couple of Reapercons, I've fished several old Grenadier Dungeons and Dragons models off the melt table. Not because they are great miniatures; they are not. But they are old friends of my youth. Spent this past week painting up the last group, in fact.

Nice gnome!

1 person likes this

So there's a table at Reapercon where old miniatures go to die? That's so depressing....

If you took the trouble to save them and paint them, you should post them!

1 person likes this

He looks great! I like your colour choice and the base looks very nice too.

I think your paint job really adds allot of depth.

Great paint job, even better to (sort of) meet Antautunut, visited your wiki gallery page often. I'm a sucker for a lot of the older figures, proof that if you take the time and paint with care they can look just as delightfull as new castings.

Edited by paint pig

Hi Mr. Pig,

I'm glad you enjoy those older figures like I do! I've always said that it's more of what you put into the miniature with time and care than the technical perfection of the miniature. And if anybody has any old miniatures they don't want they can always send them to the old folks' miniatures home (aka my basement) .

It looks wonderful.

I used to have that mini! I had a lot of TSR minis -- I didn't realize it was a short-lived line.

What I recall about them was that the swords and blades were really thin. Maybe it was because they were like baseball bats on most other mini brands, really thick. But it made TSR's blades awfully flimsy and sometimes even something you could injure your hand on.

Yeah, the blade on that miniature is extremely thin. It seems to go against the big sword/clubs on most miniatures of the time.

So there's a table at Reapercon where old miniatures go to die? That's so depressing....

They don't necessarily go there to die. They go there to be reborn! Either that, or rescued, stripped, and reborn in a totally different way. And I'll start posting pictures when I find my digital camera. It's in here somewhere. But my phone just ain't got the resolution to do anything justice.

This paintjob looks almost Impressionistic. It's a really neat look.

They don't necessarily go there to die. They go there to be reborn! Either that, or rescued, stripped, and reborn in a totally different way. And I'll start posting pictures when I find my digital camera. It's in here somewhere. But my phone just ain't got the resolution to do anything justice.

Maybe you could give us just a little taste of your nostalgic wonderfulness by grabbing a bunch of them, putting them together and snap a quick photo with the phone camera, just to whet our appetites. Then you can tear your house apart, inch by inch, until you find your digital camera. Check everywhere, under your bed, under the cushions on the sofa, in your closets, in your dog's bed (dogs are notorious for stealing cameras and then photographing themselves in mid-lick), anywhere and everywhere you think it might or might not be.