• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 72moonglum

72moonglum

Godlike

• Members
  • 1258 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 12:28 PM

So as I keep painting gnomes, here's the next one up. This one is an old TSR gnome thief, when TSR came up with a pretty short-lived line of figures. I actually like the figure, even though the details on the figures aren't so magnificent neither by today's or yesteryear's standards, but it once again is a nice little figure with a lot of personality.

Attached Thumbnails

• TSR gnome thief.jpg

• Darkstar, Nissiana, Darius Glenwell and 6 others like this

a little gallery of my old and new painted miniatures found at:  www.miniatures-workshop.com/lostminiswiki/index.php?title=User:Antautunut

#2 Jay

Jay

Uber-Mensch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 03:27 PM

gnomore! please! ;)

--- 2013 stats:  10 painted. 8 purchased. Two kickstarters.  I can paint for the rest of my life and never catch up

ks_banner_bones_2_core_set.gif

#3 buglips*the*goblin

buglips*the*goblin

Emperor of The Moon

• Forum Mascot
  • 12344 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 07:23 PM

I wound up with a pile of those old early-80's TSR miniatures still in blister and most of them were quite horrid.

I'm very much impressed that you made one look so good.
Powered by Frapp Fuel

#4 Dr.Bedlam

Dr.Bedlam

Action Scientist

• Members
  • 4158 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 08:01 PM

Last couple of Reapercons, I've fished several old Grenadier Dungeons and Dragons models off the melt table. Not because they are great miniatures; they are not. But they are old friends of my youth. Spent this past week painting up the last group, in fact.

Nice gnome!
  • Darsc Zacal likes this
I don't look like Haldir's avatar, either

#5 72moonglum

72moonglum

Godlike

• Members
  • 1258 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 06:01 AM

So there's a table at Reapercon where old miniatures go to die? That's so depressing....

If you took the trouble to save them and paint them, you should post them!
  • Darsc Zacal likes this

a little gallery of my old and new painted miniatures found at:  www.miniatures-workshop.com/lostminiswiki/index.php?title=User:Antautunut

#6 Metalchaos

Metalchaos

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 1212 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 11:30 PM

He looks great! I like your colour choice and the base looks very nice too.

#7 Hibou

Hibou

Enlightened

• Bones Supporter
  • 278 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 02:08 AM

I think your paint job really adds allot of depth.

#8 paint pig

paint pig

Mostly Harmless

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:40 PM

Great paint job, even better to (sort of) meet Antautunut, visited your wiki gallery page often. I'm a sucker for a lot of the older figures, proof that if you take the time and paint with care they can look just as delightfull as new castings.

Edited by paint pig, 18 January 2013 - 10:41 PM.

"your all individuals.........."

"...........yes we are all individuals"

"I'm not"

#9 72moonglum

72moonglum

Godlike

• Members
  • 1258 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 11:02 AM

Hi Mr. Pig,

I'm glad you enjoy those older figures like I do! I've always said that it's more of what you put into the miniature with time and care than the technical perfection of the miniature. And if anybody has any old miniatures they don't want they can always send them to the old folks' miniatures home (aka my basement) .

#10 Pingo

Pingo

Godlike

• Members
  • 8192 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 09:48 PM

It looks wonderful.

I used to have that mini! I had a lot of TSR minis -- I didn't realize it was a short-lived line.

What I recall about them was that the swords and blades were really thin. Maybe it was because they were like baseball bats on most other mini brands, really thick. But it made TSR's blades awfully flimsy and sometimes even something you could injure your hand on.

I built a boat. Spelljammer pictures here.

Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying 'End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH', the paint wouldn't even have time to dry.
-- Terry Pratchett

"Therefore, O Painter, make your smaller figures merely indicated and not highly finished, otherwise you will produce effects the opposite to nature, your supreme guide"
-- Leonardo da Vinci

"All alternate histories produce zeppelins."
-- Ken Hite's Law

#11 72moonglum

72moonglum

Godlike

• Members
  • 1258 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:26 AM

Yeah, the blade on that miniature is extremely thin.   It seems to go against the big sword/clubs on most miniatures of the time.

#12 Dr.Bedlam

Dr.Bedlam

Action Scientist

• Members
  • 4158 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 02:22 PM

So there's a table at Reapercon where old miniatures go to die? That's so depressing....

They don't necessarily go there to die. They go there to be reborn! Either that, or rescued, stripped, and reborn in a totally different way. And I'll start posting pictures when I find my digital camera. It's in here somewhere. But my phone just ain't got the resolution to do anything justice.

I don't look like Haldir's avatar, either

#13 Slendertroll

Slendertroll

Eternal Scout

• Bones Supporter
  • 2965 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:38 AM

This paintjob looks almost Impressionistic. It's a really neat look.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

#14 72moonglum

72moonglum

Godlike

• Members
  • 1258 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 07:09 AM

They don't necessarily go there to die. They go there to be reborn! Either that, or rescued, stripped, and reborn in a totally different way. And I'll start posting pictures when I find my digital camera. It's in here somewhere. But my phone just ain't got the resolution to do anything justice.

Maybe you could give us just a little taste of your nostalgic wonderfulness by grabbing a bunch of them, putting them together and snap a quick photo with the phone camera, just to whet our appetites.  Then you can tear your house apart, inch by inch, until you find your digital camera.  Check everywhere, under your bed, under the cushions on the sofa, in your closets, in your dog's bed (dogs are notorious for stealing cameras and then photographing themselves in mid-lick), anywhere and everywhere you think it might or might not be. 

#15 Patrik Strom

Patrik Strom

Enlightened

• Bones Supporter
  • 350 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:12 PM

Awsome miniature and a great paint job!

2014 "stats"
37 proper miniatures finished | 205 sold | 215 aquired (full arrival of the RBG kickstarter rewards)
349 quick dipped "run of the mill" miniatures finished | 101 sold | 110 aquired

Unpainted pile of proper miniatures shrinking! \o/
Unpainted pile of "run of the mill" miniatures shrinking \o/

2014 goals

Spoiler

Kickstarter status

Spoiler

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: TSR, gnome

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users