• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 Baphomet69

Baphomet69

The Big Boner

• Bones Supporter
  • 2515 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 12:05 PM

Fantasy Flight Games has posted the rulebook for their soon to be released X-Wing miniatures game.

I'm at work and that site is blocked, so I can't link directly, just go to www.fantasyflightgames.com and look around.
"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
John Stuart Mill
English economist & philosopher (1806 - 1873)

#2 Sergeant_Crunch

Sergeant_Crunch

God of Overly Complex Tactics and Tactical Errors

• Members
  • 9344 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 02:14 PM

Ooh, I know what I'm reading tonight. Looking forward to seeing reviews from GenCon.

I'm not so sure I'd want to get hit by a missile with a "dog brain" AI.
My blog:  http://scsminimadness.blogspot.com/

#3 Heisler

Heisler

Auctioneer at Large

• Auctioneer
  • 6343 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 02:52 PM

And now I can get out my collection of die cast micro machines. I wonder how they will match up against FFG's minis.

Edited by Heisler, 09 August 2012 - 03:47 PM.

* It's NOT denial. I'm just very selective about the reality I accept. -- Calvin (Calvin and Hobbes)
* Cry havoc, and let slip the dogs of war - Shakespeare's Julius Caeser
* Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.
* We occasionally stumble over the truth but most of us pick ourselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened. Winston Churchill
* Tardis Express: When it absolutely, positively, has to be there yesterday
* Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more, ... - Shakespeare's Henry V
* My two hobby blog; Wargames and Railroads

#4 Baphomet69

Baphomet69

The Big Boner

• Bones Supporter
  • 2515 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 03:02 PM

There were scale comparisons on the FFG forums (numberswise, no piccies) and FFG finally announced what scale these were if I remember correctly, but damned if I can remember any of the numbers now.

What pisses me off about this is that they have enough brought in by air freight to sell at GenCon (and possibly Celebration VI), but the release for the rest of us has been pushed back until September, allegedly.

FFG and Star Wars, you'd think they'd have been able to plan better...

Any of you thinking of repainting any of these to represent different squadrons?
"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
John Stuart Mill
English economist & philosopher (1806 - 1873)

#5 Heisler

Heisler

Auctioneer at Large

• Auctioneer
  • 6343 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 03:48 PM

I guess I'm not to upset about it. I have minis and the rules are free. I'm all set, hopefully the rules are okay.
* It's NOT denial. I'm just very selective about the reality I accept. -- Calvin (Calvin and Hobbes)
* We occasionally stumble over the truth but most of us pick ourselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened. Winston Churchill
* Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more, ... - Shakespeare's Henry V

#6 papabees

papabees

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 1913 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 03:57 PM

I played last year and it was fun but unless thngs have changed you won't be able to play without custom measurement and damage peices ala wings of war.

* Note - Since most people learn best from their own mistakes, I try to make as many as possible, so hopefully I'll learn a lot quicker.

#7 Heisler

Heisler

Auctioneer at Large

• Auctioneer
  • 6343 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 05:55 PM

Well, when I download the rules we will see what they have in them.

#8 Sergeant_Crunch

Sergeant_Crunch

• Members
  • 9344 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 09:25 PM

The movement templates should be easy enough to recreate. Tokens are too easy. And with some work and some label stickers, even the dice can be recreated. Replicating all the cards will probably be the tricky part depending on what's available online.

#9 kristof65

kristof65

Captain of the Sky Pirates

• Bones Supporter
  • 6723 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 04:05 PM

As cool as the game looks, and as much as I like X-Wings and Tie Fighters, FFG pissed me off several years ago, and I've vowed not to purchase anything they make.

My Blog - Warming: May be political

Please check out my wife's Stained Glass page:
KAH Designs

[font="'comic sans ms', cursive;"]Member of the ReaperBryan Fan Club.[/font]

#10 Lars Porsenna

Lars Porsenna

Godlike

• Members
  • 5511 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 05:34 PM

Any of you thinking of repainting any of these to represent different squadrons?

Absofreakinlutely.

I'll probably invest a bit of money into the game, but no one has yet to do the SW game I REALLY want (ship-to-ship combat). Well, at least no one has done it well...

Damon.
-The Serial Crusher.
-Godlike since 9-09-04.
-My book blog: http://bookslikedust.blogspot.com/
-My Minis blog: http://minislikedust.blogspot.com/
-My thoughts on D&D 4e: Link
-"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"
-"Warhammer40000 is your Standard Sci Fi Setting injected with a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Starship Troopers and Star Wars, bathed in blood and turned up to eleventy billion (and then set on fire). Twice. With chainsaws." Quote

#11 Sergeant_Crunch

Sergeant_Crunch

• Members
  • 9344 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 06:47 AM

For me, Star Wars is about dog fights and light saber battles. That and a problem SW suffers from in wargaming is that the ships are over such a wide range as far as size and firepower go. To fully represent the Star Destroyers things like Nebulon-Bs and such become almost like fighter counters. To make smaller ships interesting, you have to abstract the Star Destroyers. Then there's the swarms of fighters. Really you almost need three games to represent a battle. One for the overall battle, a "skirmish" game for the smaller parts, and a fighter game.

#12 kristof65

kristof65

Captain of the Sky Pirates

• Bones Supporter
  • 6723 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 10:01 PM

Since I was PMd about my anti-FFG comment, let me state here - my personal bias against FFG is the direct result of their handling of one of their licensed properties. They made a business decision, I don't agree with it, nor their entire handling of it, and thus I made a personal decision to never support them again. There are a lot of people out there who applaud their decision and don't care how they handled it. There are even more who simply shrugged their shoulders and said "Oh well" and still buy from them, including my best friend.

I was in a bad mood other reasons the other day, and lashed out when I saw this thread. I really like the idea of a good Star Wars fighter game, and it's frustrating that it's possible FFG is the one who has done it, because I'm never going to buy from them.

For anyone who wants to buy it from FFG, don't let me stop you. All I would say to you is buy it while you can, it may not be there later on.

My Blog - Warming: May be political

Please check out my wife's Stained Glass page:
KAH Designs

[font="'comic sans ms', cursive;"]Member of the ReaperBryan Fan Club.[/font]

#13 Chrome

Chrome

The way is forward.

• Members
  • 4160 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 11:37 AM

I guess I'm not to upset about it. I have minis and the rules are free. I'm all set, hopefully the rules are okay.

The starter and each expansion set come with cards that you can play during your turn, so you'll need those. W/so many different SW vehicles released over the years, you can be pretty damn sure that was done on purpose to make people buy the new minis.

-Chrome

My personal net worth, however, is measured in tens of dozens of dollars. - ReaperBryan

#14 Nanite

Nanite

Nattering Nabob

• Members
  • 3592 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 10:15 AM

I'll probably buy in, since Star Wars games are the only ones I can get my friends to play consistently.

Custom toys, art, and sundries here.

And a Twitter!

#15 Chrome

Chrome

The way is forward.

• Members
  • 4160 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 07:55 AM

I've been so damn busy this week I haven't even had time to look thru the rulebook yet. :(

I'm excited about it b/c it may be the first minis game that I can get my son into. The only problem right now is that (like most kids his age) he likes the newer movies more than the original trilogy, so he wants minis for the Jedi starfighter and stuff like that. I told him I'm sure they'll come out soon, he just needs to wait.

-Chrome

My personal net worth, however, is measured in tens of dozens of dollars. - ReaperBryan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users