buglips*the*goblin

Color My Mini!

58 posts in this topic

I'm setting this up now so it can run while I'm doing my other WIP, and then I can do this up. I have selected a miniature, but I need you to select the colors.

Here's how it works. If you follow this link, you can vote on colors:

POLL IS NOW CLOSED

RESULTS:

Hair: Red

Skin: Tie (color roulette)

Boots: Chestnut Brown

Gloves: Chestnut Brown

Sword Blade: Color roulette

Sword hilt/guard: Color roulette

Armor Main: Tie (color roulette)

Cloth: Turqoise

Helmet Trim: Color roulette

Armor Frill: Color roulette

Shield: Yellow

Shield Design (Heart): Black

Lips: Black

Tile Stone 1: Granite

Tile Stone 2: Stone Grey

Tile Stone 3: Dove Grey

Color roulette means that I will blindly pick a random color from my stash, which could be anything.

In the event of a tie in any category, it will default to color roulette.

Whatever colors are chosen will form the midtone, and I'll paint the miniature with the requisite techniques I usually use - even if it means purple hair and turqoise skin.

For an extra layer of fun and amusement, when it's finished I'll put it up on CMON for votes and see what results we get.

Ready? Here she is:

post-3313-0-95732500-1344874951_thumb.jpg

Hmm. This is a lot of thinking. Or I could hit "roulette" for everything...

At least I know it works!

And it is a lot of choices, but I didn't see any other way to make it work.

I like all the choices, it'll be cool to see how it comes out.

Is registration on that site required to vote in the poll?

It shouldn't. I set it up for free open access.

I can't get to the poll no matter what I click, so I'll just spout some random colors and hope you add them to the poll results.

yellow, gray, green

I can't get to the poll no matter what I click, so I'll just spout some random colors and hope you add them to the poll results.

yellow, gray, green

It should ask you to choose to not use safe mode, then click "save", and then the poll should appear.

In future, now I know to submit it to a category a few days in advance so the "safe mode" page won't come up.

It's a learning experience for me.

ETA: The poll runs until Saturday, so if you can't get in currently (might be the case since I submitted it for a category to try and get rid of the safe mode page) then try again in a day or two.

Anybody runs into problems, just let me know. Never done this before and we'll work the kinks out.

Yeah, no registration, just choose 'not-safe-mode' and you can choose annonymously

If anybody was waiting to vote because of the "safe mode" thing, that's taken care of now. The link takes you straight to the poll.

What mini is this?

It's one of the sillier RAFM Women of the Ninth Meridian minis. 3698. It's NIC now but I wrote them with the order numbers and got some made up.

There's a handy list of catalogs here: http://dndlead.com/Catalogs.htm and you can find most of the RAFM I've got in the 1994 catalog.

Wot9M are on page 17.

I really love some of the older stuff, especially the Ral Partha and the old Julie Guthrie Grenadier sculpts. I wish that Ironwind Metals website was better.

I'm going to be away from the computer most of the weekend, but I'm hoping to see some paint when I check in.

I'm in the process of setting up my paint table again but until then I'm still painting vicariously thru you.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Nightwing
      This mini was in with a collection that a childhood friend gave me. My original idea was to put him in a field of tall grass, dark and moonlit. After three attempts to make a grassy field, I gave up. The right arm broke off with all the messing around so I had to pin it back on. I ended up just attempting a snowy field with some grass sticking up out of the snow. It's definitely not my finest work. But, it has been occupying space on my painting table for too long. So, I'm calling it done. Advice on how I could have achieved either the grass or snow effects better are gratefully appreciated. 

• By Pingo
      Here's something I have been meaning to do for a while, since apparently I have had Tom Meier's Thunderbolt Mountain pack of three giant wolves (Thunderbolt Mountain #8560) and RAFM's three dire wolves so long I can't even remember when I got them or how on earth I got an RAFM product I can't seem to find mention of on the internet.

I also nabbed a set of Reaper's #02830 Wolf Pack, which contains three smaller wolves, still impressively sized next to humans.

Here they are, cleaned and glued to bases (all nine wolves were more prone to tipping over sideways than I like).

Reaper, on one-inch fender washers:

Thunderbolt Mountain, on 1.25-inch fender washers:

RAFM, on 1.25-inch fender washers:

And here they are together for a size comparison, from left to right:  A Reaper wolf from the set, the Bones wolf from the Familiar Set #77176, Reaper's Willow Greenivy #03682, a Tom Meier giant wolf and an RAFM dire wolf.

I would say the Reaper wolves are the most classically wolf-shaped.  They are a bit large for wolves (see the picture above for scale).  They are realistic and look well posed for various purposes.

The two larger sets of wolves are almost the size of small ponies and look like they are begging for goblin riders.

The Thunderbolt Mountain giant wolves have the elegant long, thin legs Tom Meier gives a lot of his creatures (I have also seen some astonishingly elegant wolfhounds and impossibly graceful insect-like horses from his hand).  Here they look maybe almost a little too long and thin, but they are certainly beautifully sculpted, as are the ranks of fur sliding along the animals' forms.  Their poses are realistic and expressive.

The RAFM dire wolves, as large as the Thunderbolt Mountain ones, are a lot more cartoony.  Their faces are kind of pushed-in and piggy and their anatomy doesn't make as much sense.  They move oddly, although melodramatically.  They definitely have a mood of menace to them.

Something was a little off with the casting of the Thunderbolt Mountain wolves.  Two of them had little pits along their spines, as though there were just not quite enough pewter in the mold or something.  I filled them in with epoxy and tried to smooth it out to match the surface.

At the moment the figures are glued but not yet primed.  When I paint these, I am thinking of painting them mostly as realistic grey wolves, white arctic wolves, and perhaps some black wolves.

• By Nightwing
      Hi all,

I'd like this guy to be on a grassy hill, but I want it to appear to be night time, so I don't want to use bright green grass. How do I achieve this?

• By Citrine
      Here is a group of speed painted bones skeletons I painted back in February.  I spent maybe 4 hours total on all of them.  I am still planning on adding some plant materials to the base.

Skeletal Spearmen (77001)

Skeletal Archers (77017)

Skeletal  Swordsmen (77018)

All the bones skeletons I have painted so far:

And all the skeletons I have ever painted, because I love me some group shots.  The ones in front (and back) was painted over 20 years ago, before I started basing. Miniatures from Grenadier, Ral Partha, Rafm and of course Reaper.

• By Pingo
      This is one of a pot-luck batch of modern adventurer women figures I got from RAFM, a real mixed bag.  Some of them are terrific, some ... kind of goofy.  This one seems to fall a bit closer to the goofy end.  She is in a pose my martial arts friend called "Kill Me Now", and her face is rather unfortunately flattened front-to-back.

I figured I'd paint her up quickly tabletop style for use as a mook or opponent.  I did get a little bored painting her just plain, though, so I gave her Goth-Egyptian makeup.

• Who's Online   53 Members, 3 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)