Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Shardok

Looking for Group - Salem, OR

2 posts in this topic

So, now that I'm getting a Ton of Bones and a nice chunk of Stonehaven Dwarves I really think it's time to expand my group. Currently it's mostly one or two friends and myself that are interested in the painting of miniatures and such, whereas the rest of our group is just about gaming.

We try to get together once a week for a full day on Saturday in Aumsville, but it's likely we'll aim for Salem as our main venue moreso, as people are moving here (I already have as have a couple others) and a lot of them go to Chemeketa. Once school starts up they'll also be in Salem more often during the week, so likely throw in some hanging out here and there then too.

Really, I'm just looking for anyone to hang out with that is interested in miniatures enough to at least get these bones. Maybe plan something out for when they come so we can all get together and motivate each other to paint them instead of just marvelling at their awesomeness. I'm also willing to sell/trade some miniatures from this kickstarter to people who just plain can't get the money right now or whatever else if they live in Salem or around the area, presuming they're also willing to either game with us or let us game with them or whatever else.

I'm not too big of a fan of the FLGS here because they're quite a distance away from where I live in Salem and more recently they've become less and less interested in non-card gamers and their staff likewise has become less and less knowledgeable on non-card subjects. (Recently a friend went there who had just got into miniatures and asked what all he would need to get started painting and the guys there managed to sell him a brush and some paints. That's it.)

So yeah, just looking for anyone interested in gaming and/or miniatures around the area of Salem, OR as I know there's tons of you, you just all hide somewhere... And it's apparently not Borderlands... See very few groups there, although there's a decent amount of wargamers, just not a lot for pen and paper gaming usually.

I'm down in the Lebanon/Albany area. I don't do a lot with Reaper's games, but do a lot with minis. I've been playing GW's LOTR for a year (just a friend and I) and just got into PP's Warmachine/Hordes. I don't do a lot of RPG type stuff anymore due to time and to many other hobbies. I did get some bones though through the kickstarter, mostly to try them to see if i like em, and to get the paint set. mostly paint at the moment, trying to get better at it. and hoping to get into the Warmachine tourney scene, which is decent in this area.

There is a Privateer Press Press Ganger trying hard to get Borderlands to be better towards minis and wargaming. There are two LGS in Corvallis, one is kinda blah towards wargamers and the other is strictly GW games, or better said strictly Warhammer games. Just an FYI, Evolution Games in Eugene is all about wargaming. Good tables and regular players.

anyways, I don't get out of my house much since its connected to my work. I'll be moving to near Albany come January and hope to be making trips to Salem to play Warmachine at Borderlands.

hit me up with an email, ensigndan@gmail.com.

Dan

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Asuranshadow
      RBJ Games most recently had the Infestor Kickstarter, which was delivered on time already.  I participated in that one and was happy with the minis I went in for.  I like the halfling farmhands best from this current KS.
    • By Werkrobotwerk
      A news post on the Eclipse Phase site just announced a Kickstarter campaign for a second edition of the main rules.
      No exact date yet, but they're planning to release in October, so very soon.

I will be backing this one.
    • By SirLarpsAlot
      While I mentally work my way back to Saladin, I've been doing some small projects. I'm running a 13th Age game and one of my players is a necromancer. She was quite pleased when I produced D'Vandra for her to use during battles. I decided to paint D'Vandra for brush warmup and as OSL practice. Nothing fancy, however, as this figure will see some wear and tear as it gets moved around the battle field.

Here are the first steps. I basecoated using Solid Blue, then highlighted with Ashen Blue and Misty Grey. I may go back and push the highlights to a pure white. I'm not quite satisfied with them but also don't plan on spending a ton of time on this figure so we'll see. I then went back and put sold blue, corporeal shadow, purple shadow, and blue liner into the folds of her dress. Here she is now. The shadows have been a bit washed out by the direct light. :(

• By Dr.Bedlam
      I teach special education. And sometimes, I use Dungeons and Dragons.

Why not? It's a great multifaceted tool and addresses a variety of core standards and diagnostic purposes.

1. You HAVE to read and write in order to play. In particular, if you HAVE a thing, but it is NOT WRITTEN DOWN? You don't have it. I don't care if Odin himself showed up and handed you a zillion gold pieces and the Spear of Destiny, if it isn't written on your sheet? Didn't happen. And if I can't read your handwriting? Didn't happen. Be happy I don't make you put it down in complete sentences. There, see? Now you have a plus-three spear that comes back to your hand! Oh, and the wizard handed you a scroll! Here, here's the play aid. What? I dunno what it says, YOU'RE the one holding the scrap of paper I gave you! Better read it CAREFULLY, it might be important...

2. Mental math. You want to know if your roll of 12 plus your +3 for strength can hit AC 16? Figure it out yourself. Afraid you'll get it wrong? Don't worry, I'll let you know... Hell, at some point, I mean to snakehip the James Bond Roleplaying Game to a more kid-friendly version; it uses a multiplication table to resolve skill checks, and it runs on percentile dice!

3. Rewards. Did everyone get their day's work done? Did everyone earn all their points? How many of us had behavior incidents this week? What? We're all lookin' good? Well, who wants to play a game...? It helps that it's a game that requires teamwork, and it's a game EVERYONE CAN THEORETICALLY WIN, which means that one kid who always tantrums if he loses doesn't necessarily have something to go off about.

4. Diagnostics. Roleplaying is nothing new to psychiatric work, but D&D is uniquely suited to creating immersive imaginary scenarios and seeing what a child will do in reaction. Example:
      "I slay the Orc! Does he have any treasure?" isn't uncommon.
      "I talk to the Orc, and tell him if he stands aside, we won't bother him!" is actually pretty healthy.
      "I slay the Orc! And then I keep stabbing him! And I laugh! And I stick an arrow up his nose!" may be indicative of some anger management issues.
      "I slay the Orc! And then I look for more orcs to kill! I don't care about treasure! Is there any more killing?" may be indicative of feelings of powerlessness or resentment towards someone.
      "I slay the Orc! And then I yank his pants down and saw off his..." may be indicative of issues I'll need to mention to the social workers.

5. Interpersonal/social relationships. Y'know what? It's a helluva lot safer and easier to manage when two kids' characters get into a ruckus than when the two actual children start pummeling each other. Furthermore, I find that immersive roleplaying is a HELLACIOUS teambuilding exercise, and tends to reflexively teach problem solving and managing interpersonal issues. Sure, you get "If you don't give me your potion of healing, my next character will kill YOUR character!", but compared to some of the scrambles one encounters in elementary school, this is a walk in the park.

6. Narrative Structure. There are children who just want to go find a monster that it's okay to maltreat. That's fine. Every generation has had its version of cops and robbers, cowboys and Indians, whatever. But these kids are learning about genre, setting, characters, STOCK characters, protagonists, antagonists, and everything they'll need to know when it's TAUGHT to them... without even realizing it.

So, yeah, D&D is a useful thing, the kids eat it up, and it gives us all something to look forward to at the end of the week. And I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
      The Knight, the Warrior, the Ninja, the Cavalier, and the Wizard* have been wandering in the woods for three days. They have gotten good and lost by their own efforts and lack of forethought, and they are now beginning to regret the decisions that led them there. They defeated their enemies in the Red Caverns, but chose to force their way out a new exit rather than backtrack to the way they knew, and are now not even sure which side of the mountains they are on, or how to get back to the Red Caverns. The Cavalier is fairly sure that the town is east, but none of them have any idea how to determine which way IS east.

The Ranger would be a handy addition to the party right now -- as a sixth grader, he's the eldest, and knows how to track and find his way -- but since he blew off his math homework all week, he's busy catching up instead of enjoying Friday Fun. The group went hunting three days ago, and brought down a wild boar**, but since none of them have any idea how to preserve meat, the rations they didn't cook have gone a bit high. They have enough bacon and ham to feed the party for ONE more night... and after that, they will begin to find themselves a bit hungry.

The party are all Minecraft veterans. They know quite well what happens when your character starts getting... hungry. And so they're on the lookout for food.

The lack of the Ranger is keenly felt. Precisely what constitutes wild food? The group has been checking the trees of the forest; none seem to be fruit bearing trees. No apples or pears. Vegetable trees seem short as well; not a single potato tree, carrot bush, or Twizzler flower can be found. The Cavalier seems certain that some varieties of tree can be eaten, but so far, all they've found are the regular wooden kind. Still, hope runs high, although a low level argument is simmering about whether strawberries are plants or animals.

Abruptly, the DM begins rolling dice. The Knight warns everyone to stop cold; he is aware that this means SOMETHING, although the DM has refused to explain what. Low numbers on the D6 seem to indicate animals or monsters, and the DM has rolled a one. Then he rolled a D20, twice. "You are not surprised," the DM said.

"Meat!" giggles the Knight. "I get an arrow ready. Is it a deer? Or a turkey?"

"I hide in shadows," says the Ninja, rolling a stealth check. Successful.

"Is there such a thing as a wild cow?" asks the Cavalier.

"Cows could mean we're near a town," says the Warrior. "Or is it a buffalo?" 

"If I throw burning oil on it, will the meat cook itself?" asks the Wizard.

"Ew! That would make it taste horrible," said the Ninja. "Just use Burning Hands spell."

"You are not surprised," continues the DM, "but neither is HE." He puts a miniature on the table. It is a hideous, warty green humanoid, easily three times the size of any of the players. It is a cruel, monstrous looking horror, all claws and fangs and warts, and it fairly sweats malevolence.

The group, uncharacteristically, falls DEAD silent. What IS that thing? They've encountered ogres before, but they weren't this big... or this green.

*beat of horrified silence*

And then, the Ninja speaks in a small, solemn, eight year old voice: 

"We are NOT eating THAT."

And the game had to stop for a minute because the DM fell out of the chair laughing.

*Three Fighters, a Rogue, and a Magic-user, highest level is fourth. Mentzner BECMI system.
      **It was only after finding out what they were eating that three of the group realized that "boar" is in fact "pig, aka pork." One of the group seemed to think that most breakfast foods came from pigs, and was disappointed that the boar did not also provide toast. The conversion of "dead pig" into "edible foods" was not covered in detail, although the entire group seemed to understand that smacking it with a sword did not simply result in a pork chop floating in midair, like in Minecraft. Education continues.

• By pcktlnt
      LINK

In 1980 (ish) I got my hands on the original D&D game and played with my friends. Over the years, I fell in love with all of the books, especially the Fiend Folio. That COVER! Emmanuel's painting of the Githyanki! Man it is awesome.
      Then, In high school, I used to charge a whopping 50 bucks to hand-paint denim jacket back-panels for all of the metalheads and rockers. My favorite ones to paint, of course, were Iron Maiden's album covers. Derek Riggs' amazing paintings of Eddie blew my high school kid mind.

One day while painting a version of KILLERS by Iron Maiden, it struck me how similar it was to the old FIEND FOLIO cover. I thought that one day it would be fun to draw up a mix of the two. 

The original painting was done on a denim jacket, which sold at an art show, just like the old days. Since then, lots of folks have asked me to put the design onto T-Shirts, so I figured this would be a good way to get them out there!
      Boom.
      SHIRT DETAILS
      Shirt Brand and Material: This is an American Apparel T-shirt. It is black, 100 percent cotton on the sleeves and back, and soft poly on the front panel, The result is a vintage feel, super soft, medium-light weight shirt that feels great and shows bright colors. It is a slim fit, 4.4 oz., side-seamed t-shirt.
      Sizes: The shirts are available in the standard "unisex" American Apparel sizes of Small through XXL.
      Printing Method: These shirts are printed using a Dye-Sublimation process. It is an amazing process that gives photographic results while keeping the fabric incredibly soft. You have probably seen this printing method used on mousepads and game-mats. I did not want such a huge print to make the shirt feel like a plastic suit of armor, so silkscreening was not considered. The shirt printer has warned me that there may be small, white spots near the very edges of the art, in the underarms or edges. However, the sample that I ordered is perfect except when really stretched out, as you can see in the photos below.

TWO WEEK PROJECT
      Spread the word! If you know anyone that would be psyched for the shirt, pass along the link. The project is just a short, two week window.
      ORDERING DETAILS
      Backerkit: As with my past projects, I will be using Backerkit as a checkout system. This is a very flexible system that allows backers to order exactly what they want and lets us communicate after the project ends.
      Ordering more than one? Multiple people have asked me how to buy more than one. This option will be available as an "add on" upon checkout within the backerkit that you receive as a backer.
      Shipping Costs: We are using USPS priority shipping. 
      Returns: These shirts will be custom printed-to-order. This means that I am not creating large quantities and selling from that stock. I will be making only the shirts that have been ordered and therefore will not be able to accept returns. Thank you for understanding.
      *Please note that this project is not affiliated with Iron Maiden, TSR, Hasbro or Wizards of the Coast.
  • Who's Online   17 Members, 0 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)