• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#16 Rogue_7

Rogue_7

Instigator

• Bones Supporter
  • 146 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 06:00 PM

Maybe I'm just too... inexperienced, I couldn't come up with a situation like that Buglips and carry it out (the 2nd one at least); though the way the berserker is now, he could take those 10 kobolds in a straight fight solo (damn him and his lucky 1st Ed DnD boxed set 'GM' dice :D ).

I tend to script out the 1st encounter for the party and wing it from there, with just the end goal as a guide...
A Squad of squints in my Y, Not a problem.

#17 buglips*the*goblin

buglips*the*goblin

Emperor of The Moon

• Forum Mascot
  • 12336 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 06:49 PM

though the way the berserker is now, he could take those 10 kobolds in a straight fight solo

Yes . . . straight fight. But why would a puny Kobold, who lives in a world filled with danger and terror, ever be compelled to fight fair?

Crafty little creatures. Three of us were dead before we even saw one of them. Couldn't rest in the caves, they knew them too well. Got around us, behind us, under us. Wore us down, exhausted our spells on decoys. Split us up and ran us down. All the while, nothing but gibbering voices . . .

. . . voices in the dark . . .

ETA: It is actually pretty easy to do crafty and dangerous monsters. Just think of what you'd do if you were a player with the resources at hand. Remember, anything in its lair knows the place and has had lots of time to get ready (if they have reason to expect trouble of any sort).

Or just make things interesting by adapting one thing with another. Want to terrorize a party in the wild? Make a small group of orc tracker scouts (rangers) who know the area. 4 of these, at even half the level of the party, can soil their underwear in ways that would make a 50-foot dragon envious.

And smarter enemies = smarter players. It's an arms race thing. Just be sure that when the players get clever you reward them for it . . . and when they do stupid, hurt them bad. Whatever the enemy is, it has some sort of backstory life from before the encounter - it has some kind of purpose, goal, or objective. It has rivalries, prejudices, and ambitions. Doesn't hurt to give them a little thought, that'll translate when you roleplay their reactions.

For example, if a random encounter orc force outnumbered the party and could still take them - would they? Maybe, if they saw the players as a primary threat. But they might instead conduct a fighting withdrawal and retreat.

Why? Well, maybe you think it's too much for the party to handle. Maybe that's true. But maybe nobody needs to know that, see? Maybe Grugg the underboss has had enough of taking orders from Throk The Unforgiving, and has decided a change of leadership is in order - and is on his way to do just that. But he needs all the loyal orcs he can gather, and doesn't want to take casualties fighting a bunch of no-good meddling adventurers who are just passing through. Grugg's got fish to fry.

Maybe the party lets them go. Maybe the party pursues. If they do, make them work for it. If they do it directly, then Grugg needs to deal with it. He'll leave behind a rearguard ambush to weaken/hurt them and get them out of his hair. If they pursue but they're sneaky about it, then maybe they'll get an idea of what Grugg's up to (now they're being clever). If so, then they can wait until Grugg's forces fight Throk's, and take out whoever wins.

Bango, you've turned a random encounter into a major, memorable story event - all with the help of your players and what choices they make. Just takes some practice and looking at it the right way.
  • morari and turcules like this
Powered by Frapp Fuel

#18 buglips*the*goblin

buglips*the*goblin

Emperor of The Moon

• Forum Mascot
  • 12336 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 08:22 PM

If you really want to tear the lid off things and get creative, there's a couple of other things to note about monsters/villains.

1. Everybody has family and friends, even monsters. Killed Thuragmog the Warlord? Maybe his brother's gonna come looking to settle the score down the road. Might just be that he shows up at the wrong place at the wrong time while they're on another adventure. Or maybe, if he's smarter than the average Ogre, he'll craft a finely-tuned plan of revenge that sees him undo all the pc has worked to achieve, ruining him like Bane ruined Batman until finally both of them, grudged to the max, have their final showdown atop a keep (doesn't matter whose) while battle between their friends rages below. Even if, say, the Paladin wins . . . he must still deal with the fact that every human and allied settlement razed by Thuragmog's brother in his quest for revenge spawned from something the Paladin did. Everybody loves to torture Paladins, but taking their Paladinhood is the easy way out. Weigh that sucker down with grief for thousands of innocent dead and still have everybody hail him as a hero. Then keep him away from the liquor cabinet. Or not, if you think that'll be more fun.

2. Villains should escape/live/come back several times. I found this out the hard way when, faced with a desperate situation fighting a dragon with most of the party down and the battle almost lost, I had the brilliant idea to Plane Shift the thing. Picked a fork at random, made the hail mary roll, and sent him to The Abyss.

Turned out he learned a few things there, and came back for more. Epic battle ensues, dragon defeated after ferocious fight.

Guess who came back as a Dracolich? Have them retreat, have PCs kill their doppleganger, have them come back from the dead. Keep it plausible, that's the only rule. But keep them coming back!

3. Monsters who live, learn. Want to mess with some players? When they fight Grugg the underboss and defeat him, maybe one of his henchmen escapes. Maybe he starts thinking. Maybe this isn't the first time he's seen man, elf, and dwarf fight together as one group even though they're so different. And they always have such nice stuff. Where do they get it? How?

And the next time they run into Grugg's henchman, he's not alone. He's got a Kobold thief. A hobgoblin cleric. An ogre fighter. He's got himself an adventuring party. He figured it out. He's a rarity, but he did it. Now the party has an equal nemesis they never expected - and if you want it to be really good they should serve as rivals. Sometimes they have to work together, and maybe there's a little bit of trust gained. Maybe next time they meet, they're serving different lords. They fight, but they might still owe one another a thing or two so they're maybe not going to be eager to get lethal about it. And maybe eventually something happens and they have no choice but to settle it once and for all. Epic heroes on opposite sides.

Now imagine, if you will, what happens if we combine all this.

Grugg's henchman, Morokh, gets himself an adventuring party and sets out on some adventures. Meets the party, rivalry forms. Respect is earned.

Later the Paladin kills Thuragmog, and Thuragmog's brother, Grumgush, sets in motion his plan. He enlists Morokh's group to go out and find stuff for him to use. They don't know what he's up to. Maybe they find out, and maybe they decide to help the party because what Morokh's doing for personal revenge they know will destroy their people. Nobody wants a war. Maybe this humanoid adventuring party is the key to helping the pc's win.

And maybe the Paladin, racked with guilt, hangs up his sword and broods. Maybe he forgets himself. Maybe he goes a little nuts, and when he comes out of retirement he comes out as a menace.

And maybe Morokh's band of fighters, getting on in years, are the first to know. So they go and seek out the Paladin's old companions, who all have their own little keeps and fiefdoms now. They band together to find and stop the mad Paladin, knowing there is yet honor in him still (and perhaps suspecting some magical influence, if a sorceror got away from them long ago).

They adventure and hunt him down, trying to save him. Maybe this isn't possible, and they must make the hard choice to stop him by force. Fighting side by side Morokh and the PC's battle the Paladin, who is more powerful than all of them (curses are neat like that). Several of Morokh's band fall. The Paladin is defeated, but slain. The survivors bury their friend and fallen allies, knowing that he was once a good and just man, a real hero, who could not bear the guilt and this allowed his mind to be enslaved. They resolve to keep this a secret, to concoct a legend that he disappeared heroically fighting some great evil (dragons work nice) and preserve his memory.

Hey? You like that? That's another trick: the years-skip end of story. Pop forward a few decades once the party gets real powerful. Work with them to establish what happened in the meantime. Players eat this up, especially if they're attached to one they've played a long time. Bringing them out of retirement for one last big hurrah with old faces, nemesi and friend, allows them to explore the changed world and interact in a fresh new way.

Plus . . . it neatly sets it up for their fresh-faced new low levels to come along and make their own legend in this world you've all built together.
  • morari and Gryfter_92 like this
Powered by Frapp Fuel

#19 Rogue_7

Rogue_7

Instigator

• Bones Supporter
  • 146 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 11:39 PM

Wow.. that's just.. wow :)

If only there were survivors from previous encounters...

I shall endevour to remember these pointers
A Squad of squints in my Y, Not a problem.

#20 buglips*the*goblin

buglips*the*goblin

Emperor of The Moon

• Forum Mascot
  • 12336 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 08:44 AM

It's really all just about developing your method and then it gets easy. I mean, the stuff I'm putting out there in this thread is just off the top of my head, but I've been refining the method for some 20 years (the method, incidentally, works well for players and DM's so there's lots of opportunity to practice).

What it all comes down to, at the most basic level, is just asking: "why". The whole thing is a quest for why. Why are the Orcs here? Why do they want to do X? Why do they want to possess Y? Why don't they just leave, or find an easier way? (that one's a good one for checking that you're giving them good motivation).

It takes practice to get good at it on the fly, but anybody can. And enourage the players to ask why, too. Not only will it keep you on your toes for holes, but it'll get them more deeply involved in their characters if they start working out why Algath the Assassin is where he is and doing what he's doing. What's driving him, deep down?

Once they start looking at it like that, things will naturally spring from it. What if one of Algath's big motivations clashes with another player character? It might not be a problem yet, but it will be eventually. What will he do? Will loyalty to his friends trump his initial goal (has learned something about himself, now has a new angle, and has possibly created consequences he'll have to answer for) or will he betray them in order to fulfill his goal?

Alignment can help answer that (or answering that might indicate an alignment revision on the sheet is necessary). And I've got reams of stuff about alignment. I've worked that topic over like no other. Few people bother to exploit it as the character building tool it can be. A lot of people think alignment is about action, but it's not - it's about intent.

Know what I mean? I'm not sure if alignments have changed since 2nd, but take Chaotic Evil. Totally opposed to Lawful Good, right? No way they can get along. Except if alignment's about intent, not action, they most certainly can. A chaotic evil guy could be absolutely charming, friendly, helpful, the best sort of fellow. The Paladin's bestest friend and most loyal ally. Because how mr. CE acts is only to further his intent. He's got the best cover story ever, nobody suspects a thing (especially not Sir Shinypants goody two-greaves) and he can manipulate different sides behind the scenes to sow absolute chaos and evil (and if he's really good at it, he can confuse and muddle the hell out of the Paladin - jamming him into moral dilemma after moral dilemma until Shinypants don't know what's what). The Paladin and his Chaotic Evil buddy can be entirely consistent with their respective alignment's intent and still be on the same team. For a while. Inevitably that's going to develop into complications - but when it does, those are going to be some deep, tricky, and compelling complications.

Now you've got some hardcore character-driven story going on, as interesting (sometimes more than) any good fight n' loot adventure. I've had entire sessions run off this stuff without a single combat and you could cut the tension with a knife. And when your players get used to it, you'll find they do half the work for you anyway. You don't need to contrive hooks anymore, they'll do that. They'll be eager to interact. All you need to do is be ready with your method to fill in the blanks. Once it's rolling, the story will write itself and be self-propogating.

Which gives you more time to develop your method - which encourages player interaction with their developing method - and presto snowball. Ten times the fun for half the effort.

I'm happy to elaborate on anything if you find this interesting/useful. Remember, too, that inevitably it will get easier over time. You'll start building archetype threads this way, and can mix them up or recombine them on the fly. After you make ten different orcs do ten different things, you've created a multiple-choice villain sheet to refer to. And if you recombine archetype 9 with archetype 3 you'll get a new thread. Rinse and repeat as necessary. There are no new stories, but there's always a new way to tell an old one.
  • morari likes this