• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 haldir

haldir

I Don't Look Like My Avatar

• Bones Supporter
  • 12432 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 10:15 PM

Well my custom auto paint guy closed up show, or at least temporary & I have no idea when he'll reopen but I was able to figure out a substitute paint for a car model l'm workin on. Now I'd ask my guys on a model board I frequent but they are all lacquer & such & don't really use acrylics, except for some minor brush painting. I figured there might be some acrylic airbrush users here.

What I need to do is take 3 VMAs & mix them together to form 1 color. I'm workin on a Tamiya racecar model & the final color is a shade of red. Anyways, after I've mixed the 3 colors for the airbrush, do I follow the same rules for airbrushing? I've never had to mixed multiple color to spray, let alone acrylics.

What about thinner. Will 3 paints mixed together act like 1 paint? (ie like I just took 1 paint & squirted that much into the cup)

I've got the leaflet for VMA & such & they just show you using 1 paint for a job & such + my last airbrushing job with VMAs didn't go as smooth as I planned so I'm trying to plan this one out better.

Help that I won't have to use a stencil this time........ ^_^

thanks for any help on this one.

RM
Posted Image Posted Image Oh what the hell-- Posted Image

ReaperCon goer since 2005!

"The Road Goes Ever On......

"Lop that mutt's nards off spike! " orcsoul

#2 Heisler

Heisler

Auctioneer at Large

• Auctioneer
  • 5826 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 10:19 PM

Randy I mix my VMAs all the time. I do pay more attention to the thinning though just because the viscosity still varies between colors. I treat it as a single Color though.
* It's NOT denial. I'm just very selective about the reality I accept. -- Calvin (Calvin and Hobbes)
* Cry havoc, and let slip the dogs of war - Shakespeare's Julius Caeser
* Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.
* We occasionally stumble over the truth but most of us pick ourselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened. Winston Churchill
* Tardis Express: When it absolutely, positively, has to be there yesterday
* Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more, ... - Shakespeare's Henry V
* My two hobby blog; Wargames and Railroads

#3 buglips*the*goblin

buglips*the*goblin

Cybermonkey Wrangler

• Bones Supporter
  • 9413 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 10:39 PM

As long as they're all the same base it shouldn't be a problem treating them as one colour.

Even if they're not the same base they might still mix. I needed an emergency amount of red for a 1/350 ship hull so I threw Tamiya, Reaper, Coat D'arms, and craft paint all together in a tub. Worked surprisingly well.

Current Bones Count: Total: awaiting recount    Painted: 134

#4 haldir

haldir

I Don't Look Like My Avatar

• Bones Supporter
  • 12432 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 08:01 PM

Thanks for the tips, it helps allot.

Now I just gotta order the paints (oddly I order my Vallejo airs from a company in Colorado :huh: )

I may end up getting some Army camo colors as well & attempt a NATO camouflage scheme on a 1/48 Hummer model.
Posted Image Posted Image Oh what the hell-- Posted Image

ReaperCon goer since 2005!

"The Road Goes Ever On......

"Lop that mutt's nards off spike! " orcsoul

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users