• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 Masika

Masika

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 10:44 AM

Hi all.

Newbie asking a question so please bear with me.

I am looking at getting the Litko 3mm microplywood bases and flock and basing material. One all is good except for what adhesive to use to fasten the bones mini to base.

Never done this before but wish to purchase materials so I can start soon.

#2 Metalchaos

Metalchaos

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 1199 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 11:32 AM

Superglue or two part epoxy glue will be excellent to solidly fix your minis on the wooden base. For the flock, it’s better using slightly diluted white glue. It’s also better to paint the entire base before fixing the flock because the white glue will turn transparent after drying and you’ll see the color from the base.

#3 Masika

Masika

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 12:02 PM

Thanks Metalchoas.
I was considering painting the bases first so that answers my mind question. What type of paint on the base before flocking? The base will be 3mm microplywood.

#4 Masika

Masika

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 12:08 PM

The reason why I ask is that I can pick up some enamel based paint.

#5 haldir

haldir

I Don't Look Like My Avatar

• Bones Supporter
  • 12656 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 12:18 PM

Enamels are ok to use but easiest is acrylics. If your just starting out those big bottles of craft paints you find at Walmart (small section) or at Hobby Lobby, Michael's, Jo-Ann's (big selection) are good to start with him. All 3 of those craft stores have websites & offer % off coupons.

Unless your comfortable using enamels & such, then go for it but again acrylics will the easiest to use, clean up (vast majority of them are water clean-up).

RM
Posted Image Posted Image Oh what the hell-- Posted Image

ReaperCon goer since 2005!

"The Road Goes Ever On......

"Lop that mutt's nards off spike! " orcsoul

#6 Masika

Masika

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 12:25 PM

@haldir Thanks for the advise mate.
I checked out a local hobby store here. They have a range of model gear, mainly for the railway enthausist. Seen a rack of enamels that grabbed my attention. They have other hobby/craft paints. I would imagine I would clean the base and apply a undercoat before using the acrylic? I am dry painting I assume and would need an appropriate brush. What would you recommend?

#7 Masika

Masika

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 02:07 PM

Hey just found this stuff from Prism Gaming - Tablemaster Base Treatment - Cement. Just wondering if others have used it and if it is adhesive that sticks flocking and possibly the figure?

#8 Onemanworkshop

Onemanworkshop

Mostly Harmless

• Bones Supporter
  • 21 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 10:38 PM

I use fender washers exclusively, and will never turn back. The washers add a bit of heft to the figures, making them feel less like plastic figures, and keeps them from getting tipped easily. Just cover the bottom of the figure base with thick super glue, and instant set spray, and you are done. I tend to go over it all with gravel to blend the figure base to the round washer base. All this should work for what your doing as well.

#9 smokingwreckage

smokingwreckage

Gawdlike!!

• Bones Supporter
  • 10704 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 11:02 PM

A cheap brush will do fine for working on basing. Artist's gesso will work fine for priming, as will most primers. For paints, I strongly recommend acrylics. Enamels can look good but they require thinner or solvent to thin and clean brushes, and are often both flammable and toxic. The thinners and solvents are always flammable and toxic.

I do use enamel spray-on primers. The same can should prime the ply and the miniature just fine, so I'd glue the mini down with a thick or gap-filling superglue then prime.

WARNING: some superglues will not bond well with ply, and Bones plastic is reported to react badly to some solvent-based spray-primers. A spray gesso would not have that problem, but might fill detail a bit more than you like.

Naturally, he died because a wizard exploded.

#10 Thes Hunter

Thes Hunter

Associate Bachelor Master, EsquireTM

• Bones Supporter
  • 2130 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 12:16 AM

I just finished the Bones Purple Worm, and found it's a little top heavy. Because of this, I am thinking I may need to pin him to the base. Has anyone based the Purple worm with just glue? Did it hold solid?

I don't like doing work I don't have to. ^_^

#11 smokingwreckage

smokingwreckage

Gawdlike!!

• Bones Supporter
  • 10704 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 03:00 AM

Word is superglue bonds the Bones stuff like crazy. Superglue also likes smooth surfaces. 2+2= I bet if you glue it to a flat washer it will hold just fine.

#12 psyberwolfe1

psyberwolfe1

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 2241 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 04:36 PM

Word is superglue bonds the Bones stuff like crazy. Superglue also likes smooth surfaces. 2+2= I bet if you glue it to a flat washer it will hold just fine.

Actually Superglue will grip better if the surface is roughed up or scored.

2014 Painting Goal: 6 Figures/ 36 Painted as of 01/22/2014

For other Wargame and miniature related stuff you can read my blog at http://tacticalrock.blogspot.com

Does anybody else find it odd, by the way, that the information age has led to language becoming an oblique and imprecise tool where even the most straightforward phrasing is pored over with chicken entrails and bone tossing to divine the true meaning?

... nobody remembers Slave Leia because, "Oh my gosh! What innovative use of bronze."

Meep.jpg

#13 smokingwreckage

smokingwreckage

Gawdlike!!

• Bones Supporter
  • 10704 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 05:34 AM

Huh. Sorry for spreading bad info then. Usually I'm right about glues though ;)

#14 Qwyksilver

Qwyksilver

Tubby Guinness Fairy

• 14694 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 09:40 AM

The scored surface creates greater surface area for the glue to bond.
  • haldir and psyberwolfe1 like this

Sacrificing minions: is there any problem it CAN'T solve?

- Lord Xykon, OotS #192

Beowulf ll. 1538-1543
... Pay no heed to proud thoughts, famous champion. Now the flowering of your strength is but for a while. After a while, the time will suddenly come that disease or the sword's edge will cut off your power. Either fire's grasp or flood's surge or blade's bite or spear's flight. Or vicious age, or the flash of your eyes will gutter and burn out! It will be all at once, great campaigner, that death will overpower you.

It's terrifying!  Without enough caffeine your body undergoes these hours of partial paralysis and hallucinations! :shudder:

- Argentee

Black Lightning: MA010.

#15 cthulhudarren

cthulhudarren

Uber-Mensch

• Bones Supporter
  • 677 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 09:59 AM

I use fender washers exclusively, and will never turn back. The washers add a bit of heft to the figures, making them feel less like plastic figures, and keeps them from getting tipped easily. Just cover the bottom of the figure base with thick super glue, and instant set spray, and you are done. I tend to go over it all with gravel to blend the figure base to the round washer base. All this should work for what your doing as well.

I'm a n00b on this and I'd love to see a WIP of this process. Do you paint the washer before gluing, for example?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users