Dr.Bedlam

Doc Is Old

There's a lot of these old figures floating around in the miniverse from way back when. I'd say if you have some in a closet or somewhere, get one out and paint it!

...or give it to ME!!! I still regret every one of these that ever went the way of all things...

• Like 1

I've got fighter #4 somewhere around here. Nice to see a way back trip on here. It reminds of the times I was able to go over to Dark Horse Games in Boise. I was around 9 I think. I know I got into rpging at that age but started minis around 12 or 13. Now I'm 39........jeesh. (Sadly DHG is long gone......)

It's funny now that I have cash & can go into a game store about the only thing I ever look at is Pathfinder stuff, paint & other mini related tools & of course Reaper miniatures. Rarely do I ever look at other games & set anymore. Back then it was EVERYTHING!!!

• Like 2

Haldir, friend, I envy you the ability to do that when you were nine years old. Plainly, your parents were all that parents might have been and SHOULD be. Mine lived way the hell and gone down in South Texas, in the ancient days before even Wal Mart had made their inroads into the lands of the barbarians.

I still remember the first comic shop I ever saw. Lost my freakin' MIND.

• Like 1

Man, this thread is making me nostalgic. And sad. At one point, I had an awful lot of the minis that have been posted in this thread, plus tons of other gaming stuff and at least 8 years worth of Dragon magazines. They suffered the worst of fates: sold at a garage sale when my parents moved to Florida.

Well, except Eldritch Wizardry. i still have that. My mom was too embarrassed to put the book with the nekkid lady on the front out.

I remember my first miniatures I got, the Grenadier Halflings set sometime in the early eighties when my parents had happened upon a comic book/hobby store/bookstore Star Realm here in Omaha. Those got me hooked, and from there expanded to Ral Partha. Painted for a good number of years until I graduated high school, left painting (and the U.S.) for a number of years, came back married and when I accidentally got back into miniature painting (because my wife insisted I find my kid a hobby, something that he didn't get into, but my fire was rekindled) and my parents had kept my old painted miniatures, and a large amount of unpainted ones that I had, and I havent' stopped painting since. I do really like Reaper and the detail and the really creative figures that continously come out of Texas, but I do enjoy those figures of yesteryear,which continue to be my painting passion.

There's a lot of these old figures floating around in the miniverse from way back when. I'd say if you have some in a closet or somewhere, get one out and paint it!

...or give it to ME!!! I still regret every one of these that ever went the way of all things...

If somebody gives them to you, Dr. Bedlam, you've got to paint them and post them!

Doc, I have a number of those old boxes I would be willing to part with (knowing they go to a good home). Boot Hill, Gamma World and the D&D stuff. Most of it has just been collecting dust for the past 30 years. PM me if you are interested.

• Like 1

I'm perpetually astonished at how you manage to make these old figures look so good with paint.

Some of them had ads in them for this thing called GenCon. It was a place where people sat around and played D&D all day. Unbelievable. A fantastic and slightly otherworldly concept, dozens of people all gaming in a big room somewhere, all day.... We didn't know anyone who had actually been and could confirm that though.

I remember ads with the big d20 looking thing. I had no idea what a GenCon was. I imagined it as some sort of velvet-rope affair, like the Academy Awards or something, and it was less an annual convention and more like some sort of secret hideout where you could go any time you wanted. And if you got in? Well, then you were a somebody. Bring back proof and you'd be hailed as a hero who had slipped the surly bonds of earth and touched the face of Gygax.

Figures 2, 4, 6, 8, and 9 were all player characters in my first campaign as a DM. Those were the days.

In recent years, I finally got around to replacing the broken sword on #1. #s 3, 4, and 6 were amongst the very first minis I ever tried to paint.

This box, like many of its brethren, I purchased with gambling money. And by that I mean that I was 12 years old, and every Friday night my parents would have friends over, they would get good and plastered, and play poker. I would join in, and usually make upwards of $14 - $18 off of them in quarters, dimes and nickels. Saturday morning, I would cash them with my mom for paper, go up to the toy store in the local strip mall, and buy a box of minis or a module. I got almost my whole early Grenadier collection that way, and also Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh, Tomb of Horrors, one of those blue-and-white map collections, and a couple other things.

Eventually, they caught on to the fact that a precocious 12-year-old was too clever a player for a bunch of loaded adults, and I was banned.

• Like 1

This is making me nostalgic, and I hadn't even heard of RPGs and miniatures when I was a kid.

Ishil

Oh, it was a fever for me, just at the right time: eighth grade, going into high school. Whoof.

A substantial chunk of my gaming materials vanished when I went to college.... the folks were quite determined to have a room for sewing and musical instrument storage. Rrrrgh. Still remember the phrase, "You still WANTED all that old stuff?" Lost several minis, ALL the boxes, and a fair amount of paper gaming materials.

The pain... the pain...

tumblr_m9evzcc2fw1rao9jio1_500.jpg

• Like 1

A substantial chunk of my gaming materials vanished when I went to college.... the folks were quite determined to have a room for sewing and musical instrument storage. Rrrrgh. Still remember the phrase, "You still WANTED all that old stuff?" Lost several minis, ALL the boxes, and a fair amount of paper gaming materials.

Luckily for me, my Dad had that happen to him when he left home (in this case it was his comics collection...imagine how much money that represents, comics from the late '50s and into the early '60s!) so he didn't pull anything like that on me. Also I kept my collection relatively well organized (not hard to do when much was bought with allowance, birthday and Christmas money...) so it wasn't an imposition storing it all...

I cannot say the same now... :)

Damon.

Jumping on the old bandwagon.

Had a Grenadier Goblin War Giant once. Loaned it to someone, and lost track of it after that. Of all the minis I have owned, and either lost, traded, or sold, that is the only 1 I really want back. Above my budget to buy one off Ebay :(