Dr.Bedlam

Doc Is Old

That bartender better hurry up with the drinks before Doc starts crying along with me.

I'll have a single malt to lube the vocal chords. I know a lot of sad Irish songs, and I'm good at lyrics on the fly. We'll throw arms over each other's shoulders and sing for our fallen heroes.

And then a triple toast to Reaper for keeping the torch burning.

• Like 3

Dave Sutherland, ghod yes. He did the original box art for the first Basic D&D set.

I'm still toying with the idea of getting a tattoo based on that art...

Sigh, I remember when all of that stuff was new on the shelves, when I used to hang out at the hobby shop waiting for the weekly visit from the salesmen from the two distributors that carried gaming products. I admit to being very fortunate that I have always had an FLGS nearby, Colorado was pretty unique in that respect. And when I was 13, there was no such thing as personal computer, that TRS-80 was still a number of years away. I'm trying to remember a miniature line from way back then as well, Wizards and Warlocks maybe? Possibly by Grenadier.

• Like 2

One of the craziest things is that my brother actually worked at a game store back in the eighties, but way back then it didn't even occur to my to use what little influence I had there for evil.....

Dave Sutherland, ghod yes. He did the original box art for the first Basic D&D set.

Although the old school OD&D, D&D, and AD&D art was not as polished or consistent as what they use now, I must admit a preference for the old stuff. Erol Otus, Jeff Dee, Jim Rosluf, and others I can't pull from the mists of time at the moment.

It's all been downhill since succubi started wearing bikinis, if you ask me. :devil:

I'm trying to remember a miniature line from way back then as well, Wizards and Warlocks maybe? Possibly by Grenadier.

Minifigs made some fantasy figures in the mid to late 70s. I still have some mummies from that series.

ps. If you want to find out whether someone was around in the old days, ask what color the original Bard rules were printed in.

Minifigs made some fantasy figures in the mid to late 70s. I still have some mummies from that series.

Oh, those Minifigs figures were, really ugly, at least by today's standard. Heck, even by the standards of old Ral Partha minis. I know some of that had to do with the manufacturing process at the time (thick necks and really thick ankles), but when you look at those old ones, it drives home just how far minis have come in thirty years or so.

Wow. I had a lot of those Ral Partha and Grenadier minis. I even had the Ral Partha Elfquest minis. I had the set in post 8; I remember painting it and how much I loved it and used it for years. The Grenadier Wizards & Warriors sets, yup (not the monsters, though). Both sets in post 19. The set in post 41.

I had Ral Partha's Imperial Dragon, which was a huge thing at the time. I glued it together, but I never painted it.

I wonder why we all remember the same minis. Were there really that few on the market, that anybody who gamed had them?

BTW, does anyone remember TSR brand minis? They tried to make the swords actually sword-thin, which led to weirdly sharp, very fragile weaponry on the figs, as I recall.

I started gaming in 1980. Over time I made an effort to collect lots of female figures. I guess I was annoyed at the manly-man-man-centeredness of most of the what was available.

That sure has changed!

I think about a third of my figrues were female, which took a lot of work and searching. I never did get around to painting more than half of them, though.

I gave up my minis when I had children (lead, doncha know). I gave them all away to a gamer friend from college.

Just over a week ago I decided to take up minis again.

So, yeah, this is my first post here (hi, everyone!).

I just bought a handful of new minis and painted them.

It's good to be back.

• Like 4

I didn't recognize this guy the first time I saw him; the weird paint job threw me. It's Cutter.

tumblr_m9hm7atX5b1rao9jio2_500.jpgtumblr_m9hm7atX5b1rao9jio1_400.jpg

BTW, does anyone remember TSR brand minis? They tried to make the swords actually sword-thin, which led to weirdly sharp, very fragile weaponry on the figs, as I recall.

I had a pile of those a couple of years back, mint in blister. They went in The First Great Pruning.

Someone at GenCon a few years back had a huge box of TSR minis in blisters. And the entire lot had lead rot. Many of them you could not even make out what the figure was supposed to be. I suppose it's been trashed by now, nobody was buying, and I did not see them this year.