Dr.Bedlam

Doc Is Old

Yanno, it's funny, because I don't think I'd actually care to have my old minis back. But in reading this thread I feel pangs.

I'd love mine back, just without their original paint job. I'm no great shakes as a painter now, but the paint jobs I used to give minis back then… using Testor's enamels, a crappy brush, and nothing resembling patience. It's just downright painful what I did to those poor minis.

Man, all the old schoolers played with Testors. It's like it was a right of passage or something.

I did the same - even though I knew about acrylic paint for miniatures even before I knew about miniatures. I saw three of the old Citadel paint sets at a friend's house that he'd bought planning to then buy some miniatures to paint. So it was a difference of four days between when I saw miniature paint and when I saw my first miniature.

• Like 3

Man, all the old schoolers played with Testors. It's like it was a right of passage or something.

I did the same - even though I knew about acrylic paint for miniatures even before I knew about miniatures. I saw three of the old Citadel paint sets at a friend's house that he'd bought planning to then buy some miniatures to paint. So it was a difference of four days between when I saw miniature paint and when I saw my first miniature.

I cut my teeth on Humbrol enamels not Testors and they are terrific paints. Some of my tins of paint are 25 years old and are still good. Nothing wrong with enamel paints as long as you are using them correctly. I think most of the problems with enamels (besides the fumes) are that most people started out with the Testors in the little squared off glass jars (PLA line) while the Testor Master Series was (and is) a very good line of paint. Its a matter of preference and even today I still use some enamels where it is appropriate, mostly on military vehicles because of some of the weathering effects you can achieve.

Yanno, it's funny, because I don't think I'd actually care to have my old minis back. But in reading this thread I feel pangs.

I'd love mine back, just without their original paint job. I'm no great shakes as a painter now, but the paint jobs I used to give minis back then… using Testor's enamels, a crappy brush, and nothing resembling patience. It's just downright painful what I did to those poor minis.

My first couple of minis I used Testors enamels because that's what just happened to be on hand from painting model cars and Star Wars plastic models. Afterwards got introduced at our local game shop to Polly S paints, the ones that back then had all the wonderful names, like dwarf flesh and mind flayer mauve, et cetera...

• Like 2

I love seeing the old school ads. Almost as much as I love my old school catalogs.

I had boxes of Dragon & Dungeon mags, but a water heater explosion ruined the lot.

:blink::down:

Do you at least have digital copies?

I love seeing the old school ads. Almost as much as I love my old school catalogs.

I had boxes of Dragon & Dungeon mags, but a water heater explosion ruined the lot.

:blink::down:

Do you at least have digital copies?

Nope. I could get some but it's not the same.

One of the first figures I ever painted was one of the soldiers from the game Crossbows and Catapults. And yes it was with my Testor square bottle enamels. Soon after I discovered PolyS and things went on from there.

I agree-- Humbrol enamels are very nice to work with.

Many historical painters use oils with Humbrol enamels as base coats. Look up MMSi for galleries of goodness.

I liked Humbrol, but then it disappeared here. And I can only get about 50% of the Model Master Line. But I can't find any Reaper products at all, it's nothing but GW everywhere.

If it wasn't for mail-order internet, I'd have no hobbies. And I can't order anything with solvents by mail.

I was planning a Reaper chess set, too! I mean, you've got the pillars of good and evil for rooks - you've got Angus and Shannon Stormhand for kings and queens opposite Siobhanna and Dragoth the Defiler. I mean, the thing practically builds itself!

Yeah, there is such a variety of different themes and pieces, it wouldn't be much of a problem to get a number of really great chess sets figured out. A set of elves, orcs, dwarves, undead, barbarians, knights, an Egyptian theme, the options are almost endless. I've got the ideas in my noggin, my only problem is finding the time to paint 24 figures in a single theme.

I made two! The boards are made from Hirst Arts.

The first is a medieval one, (actually with the figures buglips mentioned!), which I unfortunately got burnt out on while painting the figs, so I just did them solid white for 'good' and solid black for 'evil'. Yeah, it was the lazy way out, but it does evoke traditional chess sets...

The second is an Egyptian one, one side being the Egyptian gods (jackel warriors for pawns) and the other side being Egyptian undead. The board is inside a Hirst Arts pyramid with a lift-off top. That one, I collected the various figures but haven't painted them.

I'll have to either find the photos one of these days or take new ones.

I did have ideas for more, like the dwarves vs. orcs, but not exclusively Sandra Garrity. Could make that board a cavern, using Hirst Arts and pink foam...hmmm...

Gahhh...

When I was young I went the Testors enamel route too. I had several of the sets shown in this thread, along with Grenadier's Cthulhu, Top Secret and eventuanlly Star Wars sets.

When I got back into minis 6 or 8 years ago now, I dug out my old Grenadier figs. I was actually surprised at how well I had done for my age at the time, especially with the Cthulhu and Top Secret ones. Well, they didn't have a hint of shading or anything and they were glossy as all get out, so like a fool, I gave them the old Simple Green bath, figuring I would be able to do better now. Gawds I wish now I hadn't stripped them.

I never did paint the Grenadier Star Wars sets (I believe I had every set, and 2-3 of the stormtrooper boxes), afraid I couldn't do them justice. I just hope they don't have lead rot now.

Nostalgia is a real batch...

I never did paint the Grenadier Star Wars sets (I believe I had every set, and 2-3 of the stormtrooper boxes), afraid I couldn't do them justice.

:lol: Oh, those are so horrible. Even outside the iffy sculpt quality, many of the ones I've seen firsthand have misaligned molds. I had a Luke who had a badly mismatched face and looked monstrous.