Dr.Bedlam

Doc Is Old

I never did paint the Grenadier Star Wars sets (I believe I had every set, and 2-3 of the stormtrooper boxes), afraid I couldn't do them justice.

:lol: Oh, those are so horrible. Even outside the iffy sculpt quality, many of the ones I've seen firsthand have misaligned molds. I had a Luke who had a badly mismatched face and looked monstrous.

Well, they were the best available at the time, and given that all there is now is Wizards PP, they still are the best in my opinion. Actually, it's been a while since I've ogled them, but I really don't recall them being bad. And that's funny criticism coming from a RAFM junkie... :;):

And that's funny criticism coming from a RAFM junkie... :;):

Point conceded. In the entirety of RAFM's catalog, ever, I might only buy 10%. That's the "good" stuff. There's a lot in the other 90% that makes the Star Wars Grennies look like Klockenbooty.

I never used Testors, never. I never even had enamels. I had a big old Liquitex artists' acrylics set my grandmother gave me for my eleventh birthday which I used to paint everything. It made sense to use acrylics when I started painting minis

But I used them almost as if they were enamels, thick, bright, and glossy.

A little nostalgia gallery.

Well, if you're going to do THAT...

No trip down miniature memory lane would be complete without a trip to The Lost Minis Wiki:

http://www.miniatures-workshop.com/lostminiswiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

Or to DND Lead:

http://www.dndlead.com

I apologize in advance for the hours of your life you are about to lose.

No trip down miniature memory lane would be complete without a trip to The Lost Minis Wiki:

Or to DND Lead:

I hate you.

Now if you'll excuse me...

Or to DND Lead:

I hate you.

Now if you'll excuse me...

He curses you. I salute you!

I already had the links to Lost Minis Wiki and DnDLead, but I hadn't seen Inarah's Nostalgia Gallery. Added it to my favorites.

Inarah, if you keep this up, I'm going to end up obsessing and stalking you.

For all the wrong reasons.

And imagine how irked both our significant others will be...

(although, now that I think about it, I think my girlfriend would understand entirely if I was stalking another woman out of lust for her miniatures.... so to speak)

She'd still be IRKED as all hell, but she'd UNDERSTAND!

LOL! Well, it's a good thing most of my painted Ral Parthas are packed away then. Who knows what would happen if you got a peek at those.

I started painting minis about 26 years ago, used Testors in the little square bottles, and stopped using them when I found my 1 year old on top of the table chewing on the turpintine lid. He had somehow managed to climb into the chair, onto the table and remove the lid from the can in the time it took me to run to the bathroom & come back. Everything went into a bag to be taken to the base chemical drop off spot. I called my mom in horror (after I had gotten back from the ER to make sure the kiddo was ok) since she was an artist and she suggested acrylics. Haven't looked back. At the end of that marriage I stopped painting- I was homeless and other horrible things were happening in my life so painting wasn't on the priority list- I just needed to find a way to live from one day to the next. The ex got all of my minis by default (it's a long story...) and for all these years I have been longing to have my two favorite minis back in my life. Both Ral Partha- who still remains King of the mini realm in my heart.

I found them both on eBay in the last 6 months. New in the original boxes. I'm in heaven! It's more exciting than when my kids were born (but please keep that a secret!! :;): ) One is a Balrog- I finally got around to getting him cleaned up and primed last night. And the other is the Elf Chariot. (still carefully packed in the box waiting for space on my table)

In addition to the 700 minis we just got from the Kickstarter (2 Vampire levels + tons of extras) I have just purchase 75 more minis in the last 6 months. I'd say that's jumping in head first into the deep end and I couldn't be happier!

While I'm feeling somewhat overwhelmed at how the mini painting hobby has evolved and matured over the last 20 years since I've been out of the game, I'm excited to see the changes. I've gained some new hobbies and skills along the way that I believe will incorporate beautifully into the mini world and I'm looking forward to getting them finished so I can post them. I haven't seen anything like what I want to do in any of the show off pictures so I'm looking forward to some feedback. Unfortunately I doubt I will post in the WiP threads for some things because I want to keep it a surprise. :devil:

All in all though- even though I do miss the good ole days when minis were new and I'm on the hunt for anything Ral Partha (I'm partial to dragons & balrogs & elves) I am enjoying seeing what's new. I just received several of the Bones figures today and I'm looking forward to learning to paint minis all over again, this time on plastic!

• Like 1

Aw, Kay, that sounds great!

I remember the Ral Partha elf chariot! I had it -- it was a prize. Well done finding another.

IRL I'm a artist, sometimes teacher. In school I focused on materials and safety hazards. I love oil paints, but I keep them well away from the children. I'm so glad your baby was okay. (Turpentine does smell kind of nice, doesn't it. (shudder))

I'm glad he was okay too. It was quite a scare and obviously made a lasting impression! He was barely walking at the time- needing to hold onto anything in order to stay standing- so the last thing I thought he would be able to do was climb into a chair and then onto the table. I had made sure the lids were shut, more to limit the smells than for safety, and pushed everything away from the edge of the table up against the wall. I wasn't in the bathroom for more than a minute or two. I can still see him sitting on the table with something in his mouth. When I pulled it out I realized it was the lid to the turpentine. Thank God he didn't drink it or get sick. It was weeks before I painted again- more from shock and horror than from needing to completely restock my paint supply. Worst. Feeling. Ever.

As for the chariot- I'm head over heels in love with it and can't wait to start on it. Tonight I painted my balrog's mouth. It was very exciting! It's really the little things in life that make it worth living... ::D:

Do you mean Ral, Lord of the Balrogs?

IWM still makes him, actually. Except now he's "Ral, Demon Lord". And he doesn't come in a box anymore. I have one who's waiting on paint. Well, more paint.

I'm a lot better at starting than finishing.

ETA: If it is Ral, and you want to let me know when Ral gets to your table, we could possibly team up and do a double WIP with our Balrogs.

If anybody else has a Ral on the "meaning to do" list, we could make a party out of it.

• Like 2

Probably the best thing about miniatures these days is the sheer number of little start-ups coming and going and generating thousands of unique and quirky models.

One of my favourites is Heresy, and another is Hasselfree.

http://www.heresyminiatures.com/

http://www.hfminis.co.uk/

Buglips mentioned Iron Wind Metals, who produce some of the Partha line, but sadly not the full Partha Paints line. Here's a link:

http://ironwindmetals.com/d/