• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 ub3r_n3rd

ub3r_n3rd

Master of the Threadjack

• Members
  • 14310 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 12:28 PM

New to the forums and new to painting minis. I have been lurking around the last few days after jumping in on the Reaper KS. I have a few questions for the experienced painters who do the larger minis.

What do you use for the larger bases (i.e. 2x2, 3x3, 4x4, 6x6) circular or square?
Material (wood/plastic/metal/other)?
Where do you buy them (online site plz give URL or in-store)?

Any help at all would be appreciated.

Thanks,
UN

You're always out of context! 

Minis finished: 44 and only hundreds 20 more to go!

2014 Tally: 21

Current WIP: The Queen's Hand - Evil PC Group

Most recent show-off: Evil Tiefling Summoner

Founding member of Cash's Crew™ and Kuro's Kindred

Proud member of Pixel's Posse and Corporea's Corps

#2 Qwyksilver

Qwyksilver

Tubby Guinness Fairy

• 15029 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 12:39 PM

CDs. Cut squares of sheet metal. Plastic bases. Basswood. Etc.

Sacrificing minions: is there any problem it CAN'T solve?

- Lord Xykon, OotS #192

Beowulf ll. 1538-1543
... Pay no heed to proud thoughts, famous champion. Now the flowering of your strength is but for a while. After a while, the time will suddenly come that disease or the sword's edge will cut off your power. Either fire's grasp or flood's surge or blade's bite or spear's flight. Or vicious age, or the flash of your eyes will gutter and burn out! It will be all at once, great campaigner, that death will overpower you.

It's terrifying!  Without enough caffeine your body undergoes these hours of partial paralysis and hallucinations! :shudder:

- Argentee

Black Lightning: MA010.

#3 Rastl

Rastl

Goddess of Shiny Things

• Bones Supporter
  • 2497 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 12:39 PM

For the square ones I build them out of Hirst Arts floor tiles. Then again I've got a stock of those.
  • Exwilly likes this
Consistency and dedication are the hallmarks of -- oo! Shiny!
Nobody likes stompy mechenbooty. - Krztoff
Indulge me and visit my blog: RastlWorld
p.s. LOOK! I was the ANTI-RASTL! Only 20 words! - Anne
28mm troops with a difference .. or two. RastlWorldMinis

#4 Loim

Loim

Sir Stupidly Special

• Bones Supporter
  • 2958 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 12:49 PM

I have had pretty decent luck with the precut wooden medallions/plaques from Hobby Lobby. They have these in various shapes (oval, round, square) and they are fairly inexpensive. I also have access to 2nds of pre-finished wooden flooring in white and red oak that make pretty bases.

En Taro Tassadar, Executor. - Artanis

In the house of upside down

Cellar's top floor, attic's ground

Laughing cries, and smiles frown

Found is lost, and lost is found

SHAZAM! 

#5 Exwilly

Exwilly

Master

• Bones Supporter
  • 842 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 12:52 PM

ive done it with plasti card glue 3 or 4 sheets depending on thickness together. then again i got a good amount of it
"Remember practice doesn't make perfect but it sure does help only perfect practice makes perfect but you cant be perfect without making mistakes and learning from them." dont know if this is an actual quote by someone lol.

Naturally, he died because a wizard exploded.

like i tell my employees at work who complain about working. your here to work right. yes they reply. your getting paid right. yes they reply. good now go clean the restrooms

#6 ub3r_n3rd

ub3r_n3rd

Master of the Threadjack

• Members
  • 14310 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 12:57 PM

I think I'm looking specifically at the Colossal bases which should be 6x6 square or 6 inches in diameter. I found a site that has round cutouts for really cheap but the biggest they go to are the 4 inch in diameter. I don't care if I'm using circular or square, just something that will be able to support the biggest of the KS minis that I will be getting. I know it's a few months early (since they ship in March), but I want to have everything on hand when they do arrive and figured to start looking and asking around now while it was foremost on my mind.

@Rastl - Looked those up, they are pretty cool!

@Loim - I'll definitely take a look at one of the hobby shops near me this weekend if I get a chance. Don't have access to flooring like you do, but that's a good idea too!

#7 ThornDJL7

ThornDJL7

Enlightened

• Bones Supporter
  • 301 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 01:10 PM

1/4" plywood, cut out with a jigsaw. Takes 5 minutes if you know where to find a carpenter.

I then base it from there for whatever I'm dealing with. I do recommend sanding the bottom and sides, and maybe giving the sides a fill of epoxy to smooth them out.
Pathfinder Society Venture-Captain (West-Michigan)

My CMON Gallery

#8 klarg1

klarg1

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 2285 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 01:12 PM

As Qwyksilver suggested, CDs make great, cheap 12cm bases, but they don't get any bigger.

I've never tried it, but if you need a really huge, inexpensive, square base, I'll bet you could use a 6" floor tile from your local home-improvement store,

Forsan et haec olim pinxisse iuvabit

I maintain a Miniatures Blog, full of detailed WIPs and random miniatures-ramblings

My current Reaper WIP: 14469 Fairy

#9 ub3r_n3rd

ub3r_n3rd

Master of the Threadjack

• Members
  • 14310 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 01:16 PM

I wonder if the tile material will allow for adhesion to the minis. Has anyone tried this? Ceramic or other types of material and would I just use super glue or something like gorilla glue?

#10 Frankthedm

Frankthedm

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 3219 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 02:08 PM

If you have a hand held can opener designed to cut from the side of the can or that leaves the lid intact, several brands of canned food have lids that are 3" and 4" across. Bring a small ruler or tape measure when grocery shopping. You may need to file the underside of the lid to smooth the cut metal depending on your can opener's design. Solid base, nice raised lip, deep enough inset to give the figure a smaller base that fits inside the larger base.

Posted Image

Here are a couple huge giants on these bases.

Posted Image

Note, several types of traditional can opener design CAN also be flipped to cut from the side of the can, BUT doing this will wear those out. TBH IME cheap side cutters also wear out kinda fast.
  • ub3r_n3rd likes this

"Life gives you lemons you make lemonade, Life gives you whales... whale burgers." -Cadaver

#11 ub3r_n3rd

ub3r_n3rd

Master of the Threadjack

• Members
  • 14310 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 02:10 PM

@Frank - Very cool, hadn't thought of that idea for bases. BTW awesome detail on those giants! I particularly like the grey one!
  • Frankthedm likes this

#12 Frankthedm

Frankthedm

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 3219 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 02:16 PM

@Frank - Very cool, hadn't thought of that idea for bases. BTW awesome detail on those giants! I particularly like the grey one!

Thanks, glad you like them. That photo is overexposed. Here is the pic from the show off forum.

Posted Image

Posted Image
  • ub3r_n3rd likes this

"Life gives you lemons you make lemonade, Life gives you whales... whale burgers." -Cadaver

#13 ub3r_n3rd

ub3r_n3rd

Master of the Threadjack

• Members
  • 14310 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 02:22 PM

Dang, I am impressed. I hope that I can get to be even 1/2 as good as you!
  • Frankthedm likes this

#14 David Goodner

David Goodner

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 03:09 PM

I like my larger bases, anything over 2", to be square for D&D play, which is mostly what I use minis for. So I mostly go with basswood, which is available in several sizes and thicknesses. I cut the wood to the size I want and sand it a little, then just paint it black. (For me, asthetically, I prefer my figures' bases to be simple. A really awesome grassland with little shoots of plant sticking up looks cool, but totally out of place in the dungeon, or in town, or on the elemental plane of fire. A nice, simple black circle just kind of fades into my mental background)

I don't have any collosal figs, so I haven't tried it, but if I did I would probably use four 3x6 inch sections wafered together with wood glue.

For Large, when I rebased all my mounted Mage Knight figures, I went with 2" washers, with 1" washers glued over the top to cover most of the hole if necessary. A little primer and black spraypaint makes them look quite nice, and they're responsive to magnets, which comes in handy.

David G.

#15 Frankthedm

Frankthedm

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 3219 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 12:44 AM

A way to make your own round bases is with a Compass Cutter and cardstock or other similar flat material. They can be tricky to use for smaller circles, but for 4" to 8" circles, it should work well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mu_OwjqCFrU&feature

Another board showing how to make the bases
http://www.dakkadakk...69.page#4091935

Cutting gently and shallowly gave me the best results with this technique.
  • ub3r_n3rd likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users